Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM

72 posts, read 167,687 times

Advertisements

We're planning a trip to Chicago to visit our kids soon, and on our way back to S. Carolina we plan to spend the night in Cookeville and do a little exploring! My husband wanted me to ask you where we should eat dinner that night. It will be a Monday night in April, and we do not want anything too elegant or expensive....just good food and good service! I was just reading some of the threads, and I am wondering if Cheddars and Made With Love Cafe are open on Monday nights? Any other suggestions? We do like Ruby Tuesday and Golden Corral, but would prefer a restaurant that is not a chain. Some of you have convinced me that we will need to pick up some donuts at Ralph's on our way out of town that Tuesday! We are still tossing around the idea of moving to Tennessee to be a little closer to our kids and grandkids, yet still be in the South where it is warm! I hate snow, so tell me truthfully, please: how much snow did you get this Winter? Thanks for the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,812 times
Cheddars is a chain, as are all the Restaurants on Restaurant Row. Google them, we ate at one in Rockford when we used to go there for baseball tournaments. I believe Made with Love closes @ 7 PM. Crawdaddy's should be open on Monday nights.

I think we ended up with about 12-13 inches of snow for the whole winter, biggest snowstorm was about 5-6 inches.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
And this year was unusual for snow. It usually doesn't snow that much in Cookeville. But it sure was beautiful, and I think it stayed on the ground just a few days before melting.

I agree with Sparkman, I'd try Crawdaddy's downtown. The problem with a lot of the inexpensive, locally-owned restaurants is that they're open for only breakfast and lunch, but Crawdaddy's is open late. If the weather is nice, you might really enjoy Crawdaddy's outdoor patio. And it's in a wonderful location, smack downtown just around the corner from Ralph's (!) and also from the historic depot and a really good ice cream parlor located under the historic Cream City neon sign (I'm attaching a pic of the sign).

Another local possibility is Bobby Q's. It's a Cookeville institution, famous for its banana pudding which was once written up in Family Circle magazine. It's got really good bbq, too!

I hope you have a wonderful trip! And I hope Cookeville lives up to the hype we've given it.

Crawdaddy's restaurant and patio in downtown:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/...3dfd9e898b.jpg

Cream City ice cream across from the Depot museum and just around the corner from Crawdaddy's:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/...e57f84.jpg?v=0

and at night:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/...96210b6aa0.jpg

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 03-22-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 PM

76 posts, read 151,386 times
Best place to stay in town IMO is the Best Western, amazing beds and service. We got a suite for $70 a night and free breakfast too.

The Mexican eatery next to the Best Western was horrible IMO, Taco Bell is better and thats not saying much. We enjoyed Ruby Tuesdays, Golden Corral and Cici's however I think on our visit next week, we will try to venture outside our comfort zone and eat at a non-chain eatery. lol

BTW We found out the hard way, it seems the entire town of Cookeville goes out to dinner on Friday and Saturday night, so it is good that you will be there on a MOnday, more likely to get a table with minimal wait.

Have fun and if you stay at Best Western, tell Millie, Melody from Fla said Hi.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 AM

181 posts, read 692,583 times
Hands down Crawdaddy's and try their blackened cat fish.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM

231 posts, read 585,957 times
One restaurant that isn't a chain on Restaurant Row is Christy's Bakery. It is much more than a bakery... AWESOME broasted chicken, fresh salads and great desserts.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as3369 View Post
One restaurant that isn't a chain on Restaurant Row is Christy's Bakery. It is much more than a bakery... AWESOME broasted chicken, fresh salads and great desserts.
Yes, I keep forgetting about Christy's Bakery! It's got really, really good sandwiches, too.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovessnow69 View Post
Best place to stay in town IMO is the Best Western, amazing beds and service. We got a suite for $70 a night and free breakfast too.

The Mexican eatery next to the Best Western was horrible IMO, Taco Bell is better and thats not saying much. We enjoyed Ruby Tuesdays, Golden Corral and Cici's however I think on our visit next week, we will try to venture outside our comfort zone and eat at a non-chain eatery. lol

BTW We found out the hard way, it seems the entire town of Cookeville goes out to dinner on Friday and Saturday night, so it is good that you will be there on a MOnday, more likely to get a table with minimal wait.

Have fun and if you stay at Best Western, tell Millie, Melody from Fla said Hi.
Thanks for the info., Lovessnow! My husband has a bunch of points, so wherever we are staying that night is going to be FREE! I think we will dine at either Crawdaddy's, Bobby Q's, or Christy's Bakery. All three sound so good.

Best wishes to you and your family! I am so happy and excited for you all. The fact that the Cookeville area already feels like home and you don't even live there yet speaks volumes!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMTN View Post
Hands down Crawdaddy's and try their blackened cat fish.
If we end up there, blackened catfish is what my husband will order for sure! He can't get enough of the stuff! Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Thank you so much JMT (and thanks for the photos, too!!!), as3369, Sparkman, Lovessnow, and RSMTN for answering my questions....and so quickly! Well, we certainly aren't going to starve while in Cookeville that night. Crawdaddy's sounds perfect....with a little dessert from Cream City afterwards, if we still have room. And it doesn't sound like your winters up there are too bad. I don't mind snow as long as it melts a couple days later. It is pretty, and I do appreciate a change in seasons. I guess I'll go Google Crawdaddy's so hubby can put it in his new Garmin. (Boys and their toys!) I'll write sometime towards the end of April and let you know how much we enjoyed our short stay in what sounds like one of the best cities in all of Tennessee, if not the entire southeastern USA! I think, JMT, that you are the reason so many people are moving to Cookeville lately! Thanks again, everybody. I really do appreciate how helpful and friendly you have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville