Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times

Advertisements

For those of you interested in Cookeville, there is a webcam mounted in a high location with what appears to be downtown Cookeville in the background. The image is updated every minute. To see it, click on the link below.

Cookeville Camera

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 05:02 PM

176 posts, read 799,758 times
Default This view is from between Jefferson and Willow

Avenues looking east southeast, from just south of Cookeville Regional Medical Center.

The police department, library and drama center would be on the right hand side. The Putnam County offices are on the square where the road goes to the top of that hill on the left.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Neat!! Thanks for sharing........

Old 07-07-2007, 08:19 PM

177 posts, read 898,507 times
that is the EOC cam at Cookeville-Putnam County Emergency Management Agency

Old 08-04-2007, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 16,590 times
Default In need of info

I am moving to Cookeville and have no clue what to expect. I am from Houston Tx but have been living in california off and on for the better part of 9 yrs. I am 29 years old and am in the Marine Corps. I have been looking for apt info or info on renting a house, since I have a puppy that will be coming with me. If you could please let me know a little about Cookeville and Tennessee for that i matter I would really appreciate it. I am really looking forward to taking it all in.

Jaime

Old 08-04-2007, 07:30 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsauce View Post
I am moving to Cookeville and have no clue what to expect. I am from Houston Tx but have been living in california off and on for the better part of 9 yrs. I am 29 years old and am in the Marine Corps. I have been looking for apt info or info on renting a house, since I have a puppy that will be coming with me. If you could please let me know a little about Cookeville and Tennessee for that i matter I would really appreciate it. I am really looking forward to taking it all in.

Jaime

Hi Jaime,

I live in the Sacramento, CA area. My wife and I will be in Cookeville for a few days beginning Monday night. I will be taking pictures, but I won't be able to post any pictures until after August 14th. I'm sending you a private message with links to information about Cookeville.

You can also do a search on this forum for anything posted related to Cookeville. Just search for "Cookeville" and you will likely find a large number of earlier posts with helpful information.

By the way, thanks for your service in the Marine Corps.

Last edited by jguillot; 08-04-2007 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Wanted to mention one more thing.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Hi Jaime,

I live in the Sacramento, CA area. My wife and I will be in Cookeville for a few days beginning Monday night.
Wear shorts and a wife beater or the most light weight clothing you can find. This week it's going to be HOT! HOT! HOT ! Wednesday is going to be especially bad. In Oak Ridge, for example, on Wednesday it's going to be 96 and feel like 100 according to weather.com. Bring plenty of sunscreen. Presuming you are not used to humidity, if your wife has hair she can pull back/tie back/rubberband off of her neck, tell her to have something with her to do that. It looks like it's shaping up to be the hottest week of the year so far and it will get progressively hotter from Monday through Wednesday. Expect thunderstorms in the evening (they don't last very long).

If you are going to take photos, try to go to places where you don't have to walk far from your air conditioned car, to snap the shots.

Last edited by LauraC; 08-04-2007 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 08-05-2007, 02:18 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Hi Jaime,

I live in the Sacramento, CA area. My wife and I will be in Cookeville for a few days beginning Monday night. I will be taking pictures, but I won't be able to post any pictures until after August 14th. I'm sending you a private message with links to information about Cookeville.

You can also do a search on this forum for anything posted related to Cookeville. Just search for "Cookeville" and you will likely find a large number of earlier posts with helpful information.

By the way, thanks for your service in the Marine Corps.
Hey, I don't know what time you're getting to Cookeville tomorrow (Monday), but there's a free concert at the outdoor performing arts pavillion downtown at 7:30 tomorrow night by the community band. It would be a fun way to spend a warm summer evening in your (hopeful) new hometown.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:14 PM

421 posts, read 1,690,556 times
Quote:

Jaime
There are plenty of houses to rent here which is what you'll probably want with a puppy.Most of the nicer apt. complexes won't allow them.
You'll like Cookeville.City of close to 30,000 with a great university(Tennessee Tech) which has close to 10,000 students.Also a community college(Nashville Tech,Cookeville campus) and a medical technical school(x-ray tech,pharmacy tech,respiratory tech, etc...)
Pretty progressive,good leadership,good county wide public schools,low property taxes(that you won't have to worry about,yet...).
Very low crime rate(see that on city-data),good parks(that are about to be great).Over 100 restaurants of every size,shape & variety.Good shopping.
Several cool bars/nightspots.
You can find virtually everything you need here without having to go to the "big city",but if you want to go it's just an hour's drive to Nashville or 1:15-1:30 to Chattanooga or Knoxville
I could go on but I'm confident you'll like it here!

firepower

Old 08-05-2007, 05:29 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:

Jaime
Hey Jaime, what brings you to Cookeville? As firepower said, it's a great town. I don't live there, but I would love to move back to Cookeville when I get a chance. My family moved there from FL when I was a kid, then we moved away, then we moved back when I was in high school.

It's in a beautiful part of the country with lots of lakes, rivers, waterfalls, gorges, hollers, and hills nearby.

Right now there's an old, run-down shopping center in downtown Cookeville (home to Cookeville's 1st Wal-Mart about 20 years ago) that is about to be torn down and made into a water park. So keep that in mind when you're there and wonder why there's that run-down area downtown.

They're also building an 18-mile paved bike trail that will meander from downtown Cookeville past the farmers' market, the university, and up a mountain to the town of Monterey. Actually, the segment from downtown Cookeville to the university is already finished. I, for one, can't wait for them to finish the rest of it all the way to Monterey. That, with all the other outdoor activities available in the region, should make Cookeville an even nicer place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville