Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,998 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've enjoyed reading some of the threads on this forum. It seems like most people who live in Cookeville are passionate about the city and love living there.

My husband and I currently live in Nashville with our 2 year old child. For some time now, we've been discussing moving. My plea has always been, "Let's move to a blue state, baby. Where we're no longer the minority." He was on board, but recently was presented with an incredible offer/opportunity, which is not yet guaranteed, but if it goes through would require us to move to Cookeville for several years. We think the Cookeville area is beautiful. I'm excited that we could potentially live in a very walkable part of the city; I have seen threads that discuss Cookeville's bike-friendliness, which is a major plus. There are so many state parks and natural areas nearby, that I'm sure we won't get bored of the same, old hiking tails. I think Cookeville could be great for all of us (every surprise can be a great opportunity), but I do have some questions.

We're used to living in a much bigger city. We do so much in Nashville on the weekends - the nature centers have tons of stuff for kids, we have a zoo membership, a Frist Center membership and there are lots of free music events around town. Are there lots of activities for families in Cookeville? We went for a visit on Sunday, and it just seemed like a ghost town to me (we were mostly in/around downtown and TN Tech campus). We saw very few people out.

I have read lots of good reviews of Cookeville schools (we are currently zoned for a great public elementary in Nashville) but was struck (!) to see that corporal punishment is not only allowed in Cookeville schools (not surprising) but does not require parental consent (very surprising). We do not support any kind of spanking/beating/hitting/paddling of children, so unless there's a change in the current policies, we're not going to be sending our child to the public schools there (the likelihood that our child would actually be punished in this way does not affect our decision - it's just an unacceptable practice to us - and any likelihood is enough to turn us off). I realize this is many years away still, but need to start planning soon. Can someone tell me, what are other school options in the area? Are there charter schools with different rules? Private schools?

In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for a good day care? We really love our child's current day care. The kids spend a lot of time outdoors, they have a garden, they learn about about all different types of music (this month is Led Zepplin I think ), cultures, etc. And they have lot of self-directed play/exploration time. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

In general, I guess I just hope we can find our niche in Cookeville. It will be easier for my husband because of his position, but my career situation will shift dramatically with the move as well. I already feel like I have to stifle so many of my progressive views living in Nashville, which is a somewhat progressive city. I don't like to argue or debate about society/politics, especially as our culture has become progressively more divisive and vitriolic. It used to seem like you could have a conversation about opposing views with other folks and it was just okay. No one came away worse for it. This isn't a question, and truly not an attempt to get into politics, but really an explanation of why my thought was that our path was moving to a place with more like-minded folks so that I wouldn't be even more of a minority. Maybe putting it out in the ether with strangers will help get it off my worried brow and help me find my way in Cookeville.

Thanks for any help with my questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTN View Post
Hello all,

I've enjoyed reading some of the threads on this forum. It seems like most people who live in Cookeville are passionate about the city and love living there.

My husband and I currently live in Nashville with our 2 year old child. For some time now, we've been discussing moving. My plea has always been, "Let's move to a blue state, baby. Where we're no longer the minority." He was on board, but recently was presented with an incredible offer/opportunity, which is not yet guaranteed, but if it goes through would require us to move to Cookeville for several years. We think the Cookeville area is beautiful. I'm excited that we could potentially live in a very walkable part of the city; I have seen threads that discuss Cookeville's bike-friendliness, which is a major plus. There are so many state parks and natural areas nearby, that I'm sure we won't get bored of the same, old hiking tails. I think Cookeville could be great for all of us (every surprise can be a great opportunity), but I do have some questions.
Depending on your budget, yes you can live right in the middle of town and be within walking distance of places like the main library, the children's library, the children's museum, the performing arts center, the Depot museum, the history museum, the farmers' market, a supermarket, Dogwood Park, and a multitude of restaurants, banks, a really cool toy store, clothing stores, bookstores, cafés, and other services. There's even a 9-hole golf course just 2 blocks from the courthouse. Cookeville's downtown is fairly compact.

Here's what I could find that's within reasonable (3-4 blocks) walking distance of downtown Cookeville:

108 Mahler Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
405 N Dixie Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
557 Douglas St, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
102 Womack Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here are some homes that I would consider to be just beyond walking distance of downtown Cookeville but within easy biking distance:

620 Alberta Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
633 N Washington Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
328 S Maple Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
766 Loweland Rd, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Quote:
We're used to living in a much bigger city. We do so much in Nashville on the weekends - the nature centers have tons of stuff for kids, we have a zoo membership, a Frist Center membership and there are lots of free music events around town. Are there lots of activities for families in Cookeville? We went for a visit on Sunday, and it just seemed like a ghost town to me (we were mostly in/around downtown and TN Tech campus). We saw very few people out.
Well Cookeville is a town of 32,000 so obviously it doesn't have as much to do as Nashville, a city of 630,000. There is a small children's museum and a very active children's theater group. Youth sports are wildly popular. But it is a church-going kind of town, lots of places are closed on Sundays. Plus, this is the summer so most Tech students are gone right now. However, the university, the craft center, the STEM center, the city, and the county routinely offer various workshops and such for kids throughout the year.

Quote:
I have read lots of good reviews of Cookeville schools (we are currently zoned for a great public elementary in Nashville) but was struck (!) to see that corporal punishment is not only allowed in Cookeville schools (not surprising) but does not require parental consent (very surprising). We do not support any kind of spanking/beating/hitting/paddling of children, so unless there's a change in the current policies, we're not going to be sending our child to the public schools there (the likelihood that our child would actually be punished in this way does not affect our decision - it's just an unacceptable practice to us - and any likelihood is enough to turn us off). I realize this is many years away still, but need to start planning soon. Can someone tell me, what are other school options in the area? Are there charter schools with different rules? Private schools?
You can opt out of corporal punishment. Lots of parents do that. I think there's a standard form you fill out at the beginning of the school year or when registering your children. The only private schools I'm aware of are at churches: the Seventh Day Adventists have an elementary school, and the Lutheran church has a K-8 school. I'm not aware of any charter schools in the area.

Quote:
In general, I guess I just hope we can find our niche in Cookeville. It will be easier for my husband because of his position, but my career situation will shift dramatically with the move as well. I already feel like I have to stifle so many of my progressive views living in Nashville, which is a somewhat progressive city. I don't like to argue or debate about society/politics, especially as our culture has become progressively more divisive and vitriolic. It used to seem like you could have a conversation about opposing views with other folks and it was just okay. No one came away worse for it. This isn't a question, and truly not an attempt to get into politics, but really an explanation of why my thought was that our path was moving to a place with more like-minded folks so that I wouldn't be even more of a minority. Maybe putting it out in the ether with strangers will help get it off my worried brow and help me find my way in Cookeville.
It's funny, 30 years ago you would've been hard pressed to find a registered Republican in Putnam County, and there was never a Republican primary because no one in Putnam County dared run as a Republican in county elections. When Al Gore was senator, his office was in downtown Cookeville. Things have changed. The area is very conservative, and more people vote now in the Republican primary than in the Democrat primary. However, even though the area is over-all conservative, there are still quite a few progressives thanks in large part to the presence of the university. Until just a couple of years ago, for example, one of the most popular members of the school board was an openly gay man. The city council is a pretty good mix of very conservative and very progressive people, and they all seem to get along just fine. You'll definitely be in the minority as a progressive, but you certainly won't be alone.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-11-2014, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,998 times
Hi JMT,

Thank you for the thorough and thoughtful response. It eases a lot of my concerns, as has time. I think some of my post was a little reactionary - an "oh crap, this is a 180 from what we planned." But really, I trust my gut, and I do get a really good feeling about Cookeville. I have a lot family in the area, too, many of whom are TTU alumni.

I am starting to get excited about this move and the new phase in our lives. For example, I found out that there is a Unitarian Church, which is surprising for such a small town. My husband checked out the Thai food situation last week and claims that where he ate was better than our local Thai joint. There's even a coffee shop there that sells Mike's Ice Cream, which is our familiar neighborhood ice cream place (Sip Cafe in Nashville). These things will certainly ease my adjustment.

There's a great variety of housing options. I've been checking regularly and cross-referencing with a site called Walk Score.

It seems like there's a lot of opportunities to get engaged with the culture of the city, and I'm looking forward to it.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Hi JMT,

Thank you for the thorough and thoughtful response. It eases a lot of my concerns, as has time. I think some of my post was a little reactionary - an "oh crap, this is a 180 from what we planned." But really, I trust my gut, and I do get a really good feeling about Cookeville. I have a lot family in the area, too, many of whom are TTU alumni.

I am starting to get excited about this move and the new phase in our lives. For example, I found out that there is a Unitarian Church, which is surprising for such a small town. My husband checked out the Thai food situation last week and claims that where he ate was better than our local Thai joint. There's even a coffee shop there that sells Mike's Ice Cream, which is our familiar neighborhood ice cream place (Sip Cafe in Nashville). These things will certainly ease my adjustment.

There's a great variety of housing options. I've been checking regularly and cross-referencing with a site called Walk Score.

It seems like there's a lot of opportunities to get engaged with the culture of the city, and I'm looking forward to it.
Where did your husband find Mike's Ice Cream? I had no idea it was available in Cookeville. I'm glad your husband found some good Thai food, too. I forgot that there's a Unitarian congregation in Cookeville. I think it's right across the street from Ralph's Donuts downtown which can be either a really good thing or a really bad thing...

Anyway, I sure do hope that you and your family will enjoy Cookeville! I'm headed there today and will try looking for that coffee shop with Mike's Ice Cream. This looks like a good afternoon to enjoy some good ice cream. Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any. There are others here who love Cookeville as much as I do who can probably give you better advice and tips than I can.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM

78 posts, read 180,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Anyway, I sure do hope that you and your family will enjoy Cookeville! I'm headed there today and will try looking for that coffee shop with Mike's Ice Cream. This looks like a good afternoon to enjoy some good ice cream. Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any. There are others here who love Cookeville as much as I do who can probably give you better advice and tips than I can.
Serving Mike's Ice Cream
Cream City Ice Cream & Coffee House
119 W Broad St, Cookeville, TN 38501

Last edited by jon313; 07-11-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville