Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 PM

258 posts, read 790,620 times

Advertisements

Would someone in Cookeville mind driving around the super walmarts and letting me know what apartments are within walking distance (up to a mile, preferrably much closer) of them? My son wants to shot for Cookeville but for a short time we will be without a car and it would be helpful to be able to walk to a grocery/dept for needs. I can send you some $ for the favor. Please let me know asap if someone can do this for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 01:40 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
You can kind of do this using Google maps as a preliminary measure.

Of course, someone actually familiar with the area with be even better.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:16 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times
Arrow Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
Would someone in Cookeville mind driving around the super walmarts and letting me know what apartments are within walking distance (up to a mile, preferably much closer) of them? My son wants to shot for Cookeville but for a short time we will be without a car and it would be helpful to be able to walk to a grocery/dept for needs. I can send you some $ for the favor. Please let me know asap if someone can do this for me.
If you use DSL or High Speed Internet down load a "Free" Copy of Google Earth like Alleycat suggested ,after down load....... search Cookeville,TN then once your their "click" on business and type "apartments" you will see every apartment in Cookeville displayed on the map.All you need now is the location of WalMart......That's how I find stuff........

Old 09-30-2007, 06:30 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,125 times
Thumbs up Try to download Google Earth. It will be a big help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
If you use DSL or High Speed Internet down load a "Free" Copy of Google Earth like Alleycat suggested ,after down load....... search Cookeville,TN then once your their "click" on business and type "apartments" you will see every apartment in Cookeville displayed on the map.All you need now is the location of WalMart......That's how I find stuff........
Tennesseedreamin, this is really the best way to find them. It is tedious, but you can print out your results, plus Google Earth puts both searches (apartments and Wal-Marts) in folders, so you can go back and forth.

The other thing you might want to do is to call a couple of the apartment complexes listed and ask them how far they are from the businesses. I wish I was there so that I could help you out more, but I am not.

Also, check with your congregation there. They would be happy to help you find something convenient.

I found two apartment buildings close to the 768 S.Jefferson Ave. Super Wal-Mart, but they are both over 1.5 miles away. Quite a walk for you, but doable for your son. One is Saxony Apartments, 800 E. Spring St. and the other is Willow Park Apartments, 612 S. Willow St.

I know nothing about the areas or rents, so you would have to check if you are interested, but there are many downtown apartment complexes.

Hope something works for you. Adrian was checking this afternoon, also, so there is a helper for you maybe.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times
Most real estate will help all so.....

Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Would someone in Cookeville mind driving around the super walmarts and letting me know what apartments are within walking distance (up to a mile, preferrably much closer) of them? My son wants to shot for Cookeville but for a short time we will be without a car and it would be helpful to be able to walk to a grocery/dept for needs. I can send you some $ for the favor. Please let me know asap if someone can do this for me.
I'll be happy to do that for you, but I won't be back in Cookeville until this coming weekend (got a couple of football games to go to).

But I can tell you what I remember. The Wal-Mart SuperCenter in Algood is closer to some residential areas. There are some apartments close to it called, I believe, Algood Manor. I think they're on Maddux Court and Shag Rag Road. As the crow flies, it's right next to (like 100 feet from) Wal-Mart, but I doubt if the apartment complex is connected to the Wal-Mart parking lot. If you go to mapquest, look for Maddux Court in the 38506 ZIP code. The Algood Wal-Mart is located at West Main Street at Hwy 111.

Having said that, is your son set on living near a Wal-Mart? What I mean is, there are plenty of other shopping options. There's an apartment complex on South Lowe that's just 2 blocks from KMart and 2 blocks from Kroger. I can't remember the name of the complex. But I can find out when I'm there next week. Other small apartment complexes are located just south of downtown but within easy walking distance of other grocery stores as well as a Dollar General Market, which is a supermarket and Dollar General combined into one larger store.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:55 PM

421 posts, read 1,691,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'll be happy to do that for you, but I won't be back in Cookeville until this coming weekend (got a couple of football games to go to).

But I can tell you what I remember. The Wal-Mart SuperCenter in Algood is closer to some residential areas. There are some apartments close to it called, I believe, Algood Manor. I think they're on Maddux Court and Shag Rag Road. As the crow flies, it's right next to (like 100 feet from) Wal-Mart, but I doubt if the apartment complex is connected to the Wal-Mart parking lot. If you go to mapquest, look for Maddux Court in the 38506 ZIP code. The Algood Wal-Mart is located at West Main Street at Hwy 111.

Having said that, is your son set on living near a Wal-Mart? What I mean is, there are plenty of other shopping options. There's an apartment complex on South Lowe that's just 2 blocks from KMart and 2 blocks from Kroger. I can't remember the name of the complex. But I can find out when I'm there next week. Other small apartment complexes are located just south of downtown but within easy walking distance of other grocery stores as well as a Dollar General Market, which is a supermarket and Dollar General combined into one larger store.
I'll second what JMT said.
There's also a couple of small apt.complexes on Minnear St.which is right across from the Cookeville Wal-Mart.Problem is you'd have to risk your life trying to cross Jefferson Ave,which is one of the busiest 5 lane's in the city,to get to it.
None of the above mentioned complexes (near the Wal-Mart's) are places you'd choose to live either.Unless you'd be willing to live just about anywhere to be near one.

firepower

Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM

258 posts, read 790,620 times
My thanks to all
Here in Ca there are many smaller apartment complexes, duplexes and triplexes that have no names (private owned) and these don't show up in search engines. I thought perhaps if that is the case there also then perhaps someone might be able to scope those out for me.

Since we are moving at the start of winter andwill not have a car, living very near grocery/department stores is a must. Walking in snow with armloads of grocery bags isn't fun. I figured a super walmart has both in one place so I said walmart. If Algood is another town I don't know if we'll be there, son has settled on Cookeville.

Again i thank you all and look forward to hearing from you JMT, thanks so much! Send me your address and I'll send you a little $ for your trouble.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Again i thank you all and look forward to hearing from you JMT, thanks so much! Send me your address and I'll send you a little $ for your trouble.
I'd be willing to bet . . . a Tennessean will thank you for the offer, but politely decline.

By the way, it depends from year to year, but the last few years we're barely gotten any snow here. I guess that meant we're due for the "big one"! ;-)

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:52 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
My thanks to all
Here in Ca there are many smaller apartment complexes, duplexes and triplexes that have no names (private owned) and these don't show up in search engines. I thought perhaps if that is the case there also then perhaps someone might be able to scope those out for me.

Since we are moving at the start of winter andwill not have a car, living very near grocery/department stores is a must. Walking in snow with armloads of grocery bags isn't fun. I figured a super walmart has both in one place so I said walmart. If Algood is another town I don't know if we'll be there, son has settled on Cookeville.

I appreciate the offer, but I absolutely do not want you to pay me anything. Just knowing I've helped someone is thanks enough.

As for Algood, the Algood Wal-Mart and Algood Manor Apartments are located about 50 feet from the Cookeville city limits. Even though Algood is a separate town, it's more like a neighborhood of Cookeville.

And firepower is right, even though there are some apartments fairly close to the Wal-Mart on South Jefferson in Cookeville, you'll be taking your life into your hands trying to cross Jefferson. I think you'll be much better off looking around the Algood Wal-Mart. Algood doesn't have a single road that's more than 2 lanes, and it has several apartment complexes in the area that are within fairly easy walking distance of Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: