Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 PM

267 posts, read 510,704 times

Advertisements

How is this area for moving? Looking for some land and a nice home for our greyhounds, cats and our goats.
We have no kids, so don't care about schools. Don't want to be to close to the city but in the countryside. No cookie cutter homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
How is this area for moving? Looking for some land and a nice home for our greyhounds, cats and our goats.
We have no kids, so don't care about schools. Don't want to be to close to the city but in the countryside. No cookie cutter homes.
You might want to use the Search feature and find other threads about Sparta in this forum. There are several people who have moved to Sparta/White County and have made posts about it, almost all of them positive. But it's not a particularly popular relocation area, so there haven't been too many threads specifically about White County.

One thing about Tennessee is there aren't many cookie-cutter developments at all outside of the major cities. There is lots of undeveloped farm land to be had in the more rural counties surrounding Cookeville. And I'm not aware of any of those counties having zoning restrictions, meaning you can do whatever you want (within the bounds of the law, of course) on your own property, including raise animals, farm, run a blacksmith shop, have workshop for artists, literally whatever you want.

The northern part of White County (the area adjacent to Cookeville) has seen more growth lately, but it's still nothing compared to the go-go growth that's happened around places like Nashville and Knoxville. It's very scenic and still pretty rural.

Why did you zero in on White County? You can also find lots of inexpensive and gorgeous land in Jackson and Overton counties, all within easy drive of Cookeville for things like going to the movies, shopping, eating out, etc.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 AM

My sister got her german sheppard puppy from a breeder in Sparta and the breeder says TN is a great place to live. Seen videos of her kennel, house and her land and it looked nice.
Why isn't this a popular area to relocate?
Will do a search on the topics and checkout Jackson and Overton counties.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
My sister got her german sheppard puppy from a breeder in Sparta and the breeder says TN is a great place to live. Seen videos of her kennel, house and her land and it looked nice.
Why isn't this a popular area to relocate?
Will do a search on the topics and checkout Jackson and Overton counties.
I think for some people, places like Sparta and Livingston are just a little too remote. Of course, that's what some other people want (remoteness). For some families, schools are an issue so they try to stick with Putnam County (Cookeville).

I do have friends from Florida who retired to Sparta/White County and absolutely love it. They bought about 30 acres in the northern part of the county, left the mess that is South Florida and now live off their own land and are happy as larks.

I like living in an area with good schools, even though I don't have kids, either, but if that weren't a concern for me, I'd probably move to Overton County. It's hard to explain why. I have nothing against White County at all, but I think Overton County is just a smidgen more attractive. Maybe it's because of Dale Hollow Lake, I don't know. But really, you can't go wrong with White County, based on what you've described.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM

We're tired of heavy traffic, noise of cops and fire trucks all the time, looking for the slower pace. I have to checkout Overton County.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:33 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,076,014 times
Quote:
We're tired of heavy traffic, noise of cops and fire trucks all the time, looking for the slower pace. I have to checkout Overton County.
Check out Cumberland county also....Crossville area.....

Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 PM

Thanks. We don't want any mansion houses or in a neighborhood.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,381,030 times
Quote:
If you have no kids, then all your goats must be adults.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks. We don't want any mansion houses or in a neighborhood.
Then you'll fit in just fine in the Cookeville area, especially in the surrounding counties such as White, Jackson, and Overton where you can easily find a few acres out in the country and do your own thing. If you want to do a search at realtor.com, I recommend these ZIP codes:

38544 (Baxter - Putnam County)
38545 (Bloomington Springs - Putnam and Jackson counties)
38548 (Buffalo Valley - Putnam County)
38554 (Crawford - Overton County)
38559 (Doyle - White County)
38562 (Gainesboro - Jackson County)
38564 (Granville - Jackson County)
38568 (Hilham - Overton County)
38570 (Livingston - Overton County)
38574 (Monterey - Putnam County)
38580 (Rickman - Overton County)
38582 (Silver Point - Putnam and DeKalb counties)
38583 (Sparta - White County)

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
If you have no kids, then all your goats must be adults.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville