Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Have you looked at Fairfield Glade just above Crossville. You could still shop at Crossville and there are all those parks around, but Fairfield Glade seems to be built with retirement in mind.
Just above Crossville? Just north of Crossville! And Yes we have nice gated community's to keep our Yankees. The Last quote you'll every here is "I can't wait to retire and moving up north in 3 foot of snow. But honestly, it's not where you came from or how much money you have or even what kind of home you live in! It's all about how you treat folks that live in Crossville or those that just moved in an want to change things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 AM

869 posts, read 1,786,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangOne View Post
Just above Crossville? Just north of Crossville! And Yes we have nice gated community's to keep our Yankees. The Last quote you'll every here is "I can't wait to retire and moving up north in 3 foot of snow. But honestly, it's not where you came from or how much money you have or even what kind of home you live in! It's all about how you treat folks that live in Crossville or those that just moved in an want to change things!

Here's a hint for you, not a good idea to correct other people and then use incorrect spelling and grammar yourself! Honestly, you'd have been better off not hitting the reply button.

And, FYI, Fairfield Glade is not a gated community.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 PM

52 posts, read 77,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Isnt that most places tho. I've yet to hear of any state, county, city, etc. that did not experience crime, have some bad schools, racists and a good ol' boy system of sorts.

Crossville schools arent the best around for sure, but then you have all these folks that move here, and especially Cumberland County for retirement, because of the low cost of housing and low taxes. Tax revenue and education go hand in hand.
I would think having a large population of retired folks would benefit the schools as most retired folks don't have school age kids and still pay taxes... In most cases I think its administration and not money that is the problem with schools.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMD View Post
I would think having a large population of retired folks would benefit the schools as most retired folks don't have school age kids and still pay taxes... In most cases I think its administration and not money that is the problem with schools.
Of course any new revenue from property tax is going to put a few bucks in the county schools coffers. My point being retirees or anyone for that matter that moves here because of the low property taxes then complains about crappy schools needs to realize they go hand in hand.

You need to consider also there are property tax cuts for the elderly that many take advantage of.
I agree administration is a big problem but counties get X amount of dollars from property taxes and when the taxes are low the $$s are less.

One good thing about retirees is they usually don't contribute to the crime!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM

52 posts, read 77,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Of course any new revenue from property tax is going to put a few bucks in the county schools coffers. My point being retirees or anyone for that matter that moves here because of the low property taxes then complains about crappy schools needs to realize they go hand in hand.

You need to consider also there are property tax cuts for the elderly that many take advantage of.
I agree administration is a big problem but counties get X amount of dollars from property taxes and when the taxes are low the $$s are less.

One good thing about retirees is they usually don't contribute to the crime!
Being old doesn't make you a good person just a slower one. All of my life I have heard the schools systems always begging for more money. The local and state governments try to pass bonds, increased property taxes and special assessments to get additional funding. They are always asking for this or that to improve or allow them to better provide for our children's education. I get all that. And percentage wise I would guess the districts got some or most of what they ask for. Let me also say that I didn't grow up here. I grew up out west but I am sure the message here was the same. So now here we are some 60 years later and our schools nationally have shown us what? To me they have shown us that our Experts in Public Education are not so Expert. I am speaking of grades K-12. It also tells me that Money alone, no matter how much, will not provide our children with a education that will compete in the market place. Look at the US public education over the past 40 years. We spend $$$$ and the fruits of our public education system are substandard by any measurement. Yet our Public school systems continue to blame everything under the sun but themselves. Sorry but that how I feel and I think the facts are on my side. If I had a young child today I would home school them like my sister did with her 5 daughters. And the though of me home schooling that's really scary...

I am nearing retirement ... Heck I am already there. I didn't make huge salaries in my life and I don't have a collage education but I always showed up. I also followed some basic rules that I learned when I was very young. Save a little don't spend all you make and do your best. Here I am now ready and able.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM

70 posts, read 174,065 times
Default bikerchickinca

I am a retired law enforcement officer from So Cal. I worked 41 years in the field mostly as a detective with the Burbank Police Department and the Los Angeles County District Attorney. I retired to Cookeville three years ago and have never regretted it for a second. Crime statistics are very misleading. When you look at the amount of crime relative to the population you get a different view. Meth is a problem EVERYWHERE. When you have rural areas, you have locations where meth can be manufactured. Believe me, you see a whole lot of people in So Cal actually using meth than in middle Tennessee. Crime stats are relatively low and don't let the fear of crime override all of the great things about living in middle Tennessee. The people are genuinely friendly. You drive in an unfamiliar residential neighborhood and people will wave at you. (And they use all their fingers unlike in So Cal). Tennessee is gorgeous and peaceful compared to California, not to mention the lower cost of living. No State income tax, vehicle registration of only $25.00 regardless of the year of the vehicle. Property taxes about half of that in California. The only wierd thing that appears to cost more in Tennessee over California is used cars. There are less people selling 2 and 3 year leased vehicles. If you want a used car, go to Florida. Anyway, the pluses far outweigh any negatives in middle Tennessee. Just remember, you are thinking of moving away from Calif. to get away from all the craziness. Don't come to Tennessee and start talking how much this thing or that thing was better in Calif. It will not be well received and you will waste a lot of energy being unhappy. I hope this helps

Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSEA View Post
I am a retired law enforcement officer from So Cal. I worked 41 years in the field mostly as a detective with the Burbank Police Department and the Los Angeles County District Attorney. I retired to Cookeville three years ago and have never regretted it for a second. Crime statistics are very misleading. When you look at the amount of crime relative to the population you get a different view. Meth is a problem EVERYWHERE. When you have rural areas, you have locations where meth can be manufactured. Believe me, you see a whole lot of people in So Cal actually using meth than in middle Tennessee. Crime stats are relatively low and don't let the fear of crime override all of the great things about living in middle Tennessee. The people are genuinely friendly. You drive in an unfamiliar residential neighborhood and people will wave at you. (And they use all their fingers unlike in So Cal). Tennessee is gorgeous and peaceful compared to California, not to mention the lower cost of living. No State income tax, vehicle registration of only $25.00 regardless of the year of the vehicle. Property taxes about half of that in California. The only wierd thing that appears to cost more in Tennessee over California is used cars. There are less people selling 2 and 3 year leased vehicles. If you want a used car, go to Florida. Anyway, the pluses far outweigh any negatives in middle Tennessee. Just remember, you are thinking of moving away from Calif. to get away from all the craziness. Don't come to Tennessee and start talking how much this thing or that thing was better in Calif. It will not be well received and you will waste a lot of energy being unhappy. I hope this helps

Now sometimes us locals will use just one finger to wave, but its the index finger when we are driving with our coffee in one hand and cant take the rest of the fingers off the steering wheel.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 732 times
I live in Crossville, and I have no idea why the crime rate is displayed so high. I know a lot of the arrests are drug related if you look in the newspaper, but my whole family lives here, little siblings, parents, grandparents. If you’re looking for a great retirement town, this is it. If you are worried about the crime rate, you could try moving and living in fairfield, (around a 20-25 min drive from crossville) and just come here when you need to. In my opinion, I would move here. My grandparents moved her from California, and we soon followed and we all love it.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:28 PM

52 posts, read 96,085 times
I think they got Crossville mixed up with another place. I have been living in Crossville a few years now and find it to be a clean laid back friendly place. The people I have met and talked with are very kind and helpful. As far as crime not much really to talk about. I'm proud to call Crossville home

Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 496 times
I live near Ozone in eastern Cumberland County. In August 2018 my shed was broken into and $5000+ of tools and equipment where stolen. I reported it to the police and nothing was done except they filed a report. A Detective called me a week later and claims it was people from another County that robbed me. How would he know that for certain? This area is overrun with drug addicts and thieves. I've been living here since 2001 and originally thought I would retire here. I would not recommend retirement in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville