Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,943 times

Advertisements

I hope they produce some good wine. It will be the first in Tennessee, in my opinion. We went to the first legal wine festival in the state a few years ago. None of it was fit to drink.

We are not wine snobs. We just don't like to gag when tasting the stuff. Tennesseans should stick to the booze they know, like good sippin' whiskey and micro brews.

That oughta get some comments.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Im not a huge wine drinker either. I have enjoyed a few bottles from the wineries in Jamestown and Crossville. It sure beats the heck out of the boot legg stuff we use to get from Jack out in twinton many moons ago. Back in the dark ages when thats the only place other than Nashville or Knoxville. LOL.
There is also a winery off of HWY 111 between Cookeville and Rickman, but Ive yet to sample their wares.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:41 PM

421 posts, read 1,690,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There is also a winery off of HWY 111 between Cookeville and Rickman, but Ive yet to sample their wares.
That's Holly Ridge & it's the best of the three in my opinion.

It's off hwy.85 between Livingston & Hilham...

firepower

Old 04-01-2008, 12:55 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,842 times
Eat lol I feel the same way about wine! Until a year or so I was happy to have a box of wine in my fridge (it keeps for EVER that way!) I just recently found a wine I actively enjoy, which is Smoking Loon. It's nice.

As for the Canada geese, if you've got a shortage of them, I'll bring some down along with the Ring Dings and crumb cake when I come down for our city-data reunion.

Here in NJ Canada geese live all year long; they no longer migrate. Their poop is EVERYWHERE (mark my words, it'll be the source of the next gnarly disease that arises).

There are tons of businesses here designed to rid landowners of the geese (they particularly like our huge office complexes with their thick, manicured grass). Many of these companies employ border collies to scare the geese off, supposedly for good. Why dogs?

Because we don't like the gross goose poop on our land...but we're too environmentally conscious to actually consider killing them; so we send them to the neighbor's property.

Once a few years ago they got so bad at one park that the town hired a contractor who rounded a bunch up and gassed them. I would assume it was humanely done, but oy, the outrage about that.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,943 times
We have a pair nesting on our property. This is the first year we have seen them here.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:08 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,842 times
Watch out, they'll lump you up if you try to get too close to the nest. Or they'll try, at least. In any event they can be downright scary! Little roaches.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Thanks firepower. Ill have to give it a try.

I agree about the Canada geese. I love to see/hear them fly over my place going to a larger pond, but dont want them landing.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:31 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,515,224 times
Cool children playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorTrout View Post
Good Lord, a winery?

What will they do next, have the children playing with computers?
ROFLMAO....................

Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 AM

15 posts, read 39,975 times
Default Childish and uninformed

Well that's exactly the response I was expecting from those who care little about that which matters,and none for their fellow man,but I feel I am my brothers keeper,and my numbers are dwindling with the deer.

Firstly to the member that stated this is not Baxter Corporate limits, I am submitting a link from the Putnam County Register of deeds which clearly shows the map of the proposed winery site, owned by the Delmonacos
Putnam County, Tennessee Map .
the parcel # is 055 01201 00007055 ,if this isnt resulting correctly just search by Delmanaco name ,and choose the property on Lance Dr.
You will have to zoom twice for the text to appear,and this property is on the Baxter Corporate limits not outside of.

Secondly To the member who thought it was important to correct my misnaming of the Geese,thanks I'll keep it in mind although not important and fairly petty considering the bigger issues I raise, it doesnt seem to respond to any of them..nice try, better luck next time staying on point

I always thought if something or someone was from Canada, that made it Canadian, It's always been apropriate for their people and whiskey,I guess this user knows of the Geese having some type of exempt status
I wasn't aware of.

Thirdly I have no axe to grind with the Delmonacos in fact, I don't know them at all.

4th to the member who decided to refer to dreams, maybe living and raising children in a town without alcohol is getting harder and harder to find,and there are those among you who value this a great deal,as it has been our Countries History to bring on the booze when they have failed us in every other aspect, they choose to anestetize us as opposed to fixing the ills, and in this case thats the economy.

Those that are educated know only too well that the lifting of Prohibition in America was for no reason other than to right the failing economy during the depression,and this tactic has been used for years to quiet or numb the masses in a particular community, it generates money in all kinds of ways not just tax on liquor, it's the rise in court monies as well, generated from DUI's, assaults, burglaries, public intoxication, etc. etc. etc. all things that up until now have stayed way below the National Average in Baxter,the list is endless as to it's destruction of lives.

5th I believe another educated member has correctly informed you of the deer problem,and why they can be seen within blocks of city areas..point made... urban blight leads to displacement of these animals, which increases traffic accidents and deaths of both deer and people, thus decreasing the population of both, I know I would trade that for a bottle of vino..(NOT)

Most Importantly It appears that most who have responded,haven't addressed the most alarming point at all, So I will help keep Focus a bit now.
No one addressed how it is that the Delmonacos have managed to skirt the law as it concerns this sale of wine, not even stores in Cookeville have this priveledge as of yet, and to my knowledge no law stating it to be legal has been voted on(so how do they know in advance it will be passed ?)

These upscale resturants that are being refered to as possibly coming to our area as a result,lets not forget that it was putnam County and Cookeville that used the no liquor sales in the County ploy to encourage the Fancy Chain Resturants that line Interstate drive to ever build in the first place,stating they would have control over pricing on liquor by the drink,as there were no other options for its sale other than beer allowed here.
That was a major factor in bringing places like O'Charlies,Outback,Logans, Clili's,Applebees, etc. etc.

Lastly I never intended to state I am above it all,as I clearly am not, but what I do remind you of is this, that quiet little towns across America are being ate up by wealthy land developers who believe the rule of anything for a buck,and with the exception of those born here, dont you think the current residents took anything in to account when choosing this area to live.
I agree it is the Delmonacos right to fulfill their dreams of having a winery,but don't you agree that it is also the right of many non drinking families to choose an area of the Country or State that they will raise their families in,and they also have the right to choose an area filled with like minded people, and to pass on the morals they have inherited from their families,and to live healthy and happy lives without the negative influences brought about by alcohol? if you do then you agree with me and just don't realize it.

I have many more points on this matter but I will not raise them now, I will just leave you with this moral story.

When a child is standing in a gravel parking lot surrounding a warehouse full of windows,and none of the windows are broken, even the most mischievious child has a hard time throwing the first stone, but when windows are already broken, they hardly give it a second thought to toss the rocks that are at their feet.

This opens this area to the negative aspects of alcohol, and will be jumped on as added turf to the market for those from all over to open store regardless of the outcome for the community it resides in.

The full weight of this negative impact may not be for another 5 years or so, but remember this will have lit the fuse, it will be the first broken window of many to follow, and remember "true sin is when good men do nothing"

Good Luck !!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 AM

15 posts, read 39,975 times
Default One last Comment 4 me today

I would like to point out to all that may be affected by this winery, please note that the majority of posts are from those that have no stake in our community, and most don't even live in the County that this pertains too.

They must just like to read their own posts.......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville