Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 01:12 PM

29 posts, read 34,626 times

Advertisements

Hello-
My husband and I are in the hunt for property. Ideally we will build this as a vaction home and once our kids graduate high school, it would be our retirement home. We want to be in an area that had good school systems in case this becomes our full time residence sooner than expected. If that were to be the case he'd be working from home. A few other things we're interested in. Mountain area (I want a log cabin), gun friendly (coming from Jersey, I imagine anywhere in the state is better then here!) I don't mind a little snow here and there, but I don't want a long harsh winter. We'd like to have someacreage, but not be completely seculeded from a neighborhood. Maybe an area where the lots are 3-6 acres or so, I want chickens!
I'd like to be with in an half hour or so acess to farmers markets or health food stores, more specifically organically grown food and hopefully a farmer who does grass fed, pasture raised meats.
I'm not sure if this is an option, I'd be willing to drive an hour or so but I'd also like to find some sort of "alternative"/ holistic type doctor.
So the reading I've done brings me to Crossville. I'd be ever so grateful if anyone had any suggestions of information to point me in the rich direction. Are there any particular areas of crossville or any other town you'd suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 03:09 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruca55 View Post
Hello-
My husband and I are in the hunt for property. Ideally we will build this as a vaction home and once our kids graduate high school, it would be our retirement home. We want to be in an area that had good school systems in case this becomes our full time residence sooner than expected. If that were to be the case he'd be working from home. A few other things we're interested in. Mountain area (I want a log cabin), gun friendly (coming from Jersey, I imagine anywhere in the state is better then here!) I don't mind a little snow here and there, but I don't want a long harsh winter. We'd like to have someacreage, but not be completely seculeded from a neighborhood. Maybe an area where the lots are 3-6 acres or so, I want chickens!
I'd like to be with in an half hour or so acess to farmers markets or health food stores, more specifically organically grown food and hopefully a farmer who does grass fed, pasture raised meats.
I'm not sure if this is an option, I'd be willing to drive an hour or so but I'd also like to find some sort of "alternative"/ holistic type doctor.
So the reading I've done brings me to Crossville. I'd be ever so grateful if anyone had any suggestions of information to point me in the rich direction. Are there any particular areas of crossville or any other town you'd suggest?
There are farmers markets all over the area. There's one in downtown Crossville, one in downtown Monterey, and two in downtown Cookeville (a farmers' market and a "green" market). I'm sure there's someone in the Crossville area who sells pasture-fed meats. There is in Cookeville. Jindydale Farms *- *Cookeville, TN - Home

If schools are an issue, then Cookeville is the much better choice. This was discussed in a recent thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cooke...e-weather.html

Otherwise, pretty much every rural area of Tennessee is gun friendly so that's not really an issue. As for the holistic doctors, I know of three in Cookeville who advertise themselves as being holistic. I've never used any of them and don't know anyone who has so I can't comment on the quality of their services. One of them also advertises that they do acupuncture.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 03-02-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 04:41 PM

Hmm, Cookeville looks beautiful!! Thanks for the input!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:43 PM

74 posts, read 85,092 times
I may not be correct in saying this, but I think if organic/natural foods and living are priority to you as it sounds like they might be, Cookeville might be better than Crossville. I think there is more of a conscious movement toward sustainable living here. There's the weekly farmer's market and also a second "Green Market" that has a much more natural/organic focus (I'm not sure you can sell there if you don't follow organic practices).

Putnam County/Cookeville probably is the better school option as mentioned. I teach in Jackson County (Northwest of Putnam County/Cookeville) and Putnam Co schools are generally viewed as the leader for this area, most other districts are always playing catch up to them.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 AM

Thanks! And yes, you are correct I do have a priority for organics when possible (my husband on the other hand could live on pop tarts..) I read in another post with Putnam County it is possible to send your kids to something other than your closest school? For instance, I just found a lot listing in Monterey that looks interesting. According to Zillow the school ratings there are only 5. For us it may or may not be something we ever need, but if we decided to move before our kids were done school here, I'd have the option to drive them to a different school district?
Thank you so much for the input on these boards, it's incredibly helpful!

Old 03-03-2016, 07:02 AM

869 posts, read 1,787,812 times
Quote:
Thanks! And yes, you are correct I do have a priority for organics when possible (my husband on the other hand could live on pop tarts..) I read in another post with Putnam County it is possible to send your kids to something other than your closest school? For instance, I just found a lot listing in Monterey that looks interesting. According to Zillow the school ratings there are only 5. For us it may or may not be something we ever need, but if we decided to move before our kids were done school here, I'd have the option to drive them to a different school district?
Not a different district, but a different school within the district. School districts are divided by county here, so in Putnam County, you could go to any school that still has openings. 3 High Schools in Putnam County. If you were in Monterey though, and want to go to Cookeville HS, it would be a pretty long drive, about 30 minutes down the plateau. CHS is the 4th largest HS in the state, about 2300 students and does offer Honors and other courses the other 2 HS don't. Dual enrollment is also very large there ,allowing the chance for college credit while still in HS. Research Putnam County Schools and you'll get more info.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Monterey HS is not a bad school at all. Its standardized test scores are skewed lower largely because 20 percent of its student body speaks a language other than English at home (mostly Spanish) yet are required to take the same standardized tests as everyone else. Monterey HS was named a Blue Ribbon HS by U.S. News a few years ago. Still, many people in Monterey do make the daily drive to Cookeville so their kids can take advantage of the things offered at CHS but not at MHS that Sparkman mentioned (20+ A.P. courses, dual/college enrollment, International Baccalaureate Program, additional foreign languages, more sports options, etc.). Many of these are people who already work in Cookeville, so it's not super inconvenient to take their kids to CHS.

Also, keep in mind that just because a house has a Monterey or Cookeville address doesn't mean that it's in Putnam County. Cookeville's ZIP codes, for example, are in four different counties (Putnam, White, Jackson, and Overton). Likewise, Monterey's ZIP code is in five counties (Putnam, Overton, Cumberland, Fentress, and White). It can be confusing.

The topography of western Putnam County is almost as hilly and beautiful as eastern Putnam County, so you might want to look at the Baxter area, too. It'll also put you within an hour'ish of Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 03-03-2016 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 08:24 AM

Thanks, all great info! I have one kid at each end of the academic spectrum. One honors and the other is very creative, artsy not so much book stuff (which I think I remember reading somewhere that Cookesville is also big on?)
So it sounds like I'm going to need an agent. Are there any in this group? Rather than just randomly picking someone off the internet.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks, all great info! I have one kid at each end of the academic spectrum. One honors and the other is very creative, artsy not so much book stuff (which I think I remember reading somewhere that Cookesville is also big on?)
So it sounds like I'm going to need an agent. Are there any in this group? Rather than just randomly picking someone off the internet.
I just sent you the name of the agent I used when I moved to this area a couple of years ago. She was wonderful.

And you're right about CHS. It's large enough to offer just about everything, from the very demanding International Baccalaureate Program to a whole bunch of creative and artsy programs for those interested in that.

Feel free to post more questions! We like helping people.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-03-2016, 08:43 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
What is your definition of organic?
There are farmers markets in both Cookeville and Crossville. As well there are many roadside stands that sell local vegetables and the Mennonite community does as well, within the community and they also run stores. While these are home grown it dosent mean they have not used fertilizers and pesticides. As far as beef, most farmers here graze their cattle with supplements of hay in the winter months. Often livestock ready for slaughter is feed grain a month or so prior to fatten it up. Again, fertilizers are used on the pastures. You can purchase processed beef or buy one ready to slaughter or a calf to raise yourself. Some farmers will take "your" cow to the slaughter house and you pick it up and pay the kill bill. (we have pop tarts too)

Monterey just built a new High School which will be open this fall. JMT is our resident expert on our schools so whatever he says about the quality of education and opportunities.
It is correct that just because it is a Monterey address doesn't mean it is in Monterey or Putnam County. I live in Cumberland but have a Monterey address because Monterey is the closest Post Office. Putnam adjoins the rural end of Overton Co. whose HS is located some 20 miles away in Livingston. I worked in Cookeville (recently moved lab to Jackson Co.), my gson attends school in Cumberland and I have to do all government business in Crossville, so that can create a challenge.
So if your kids will attend school you need to be mindful of the county you are actually located in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville