Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 10:06 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Could someone explain why annexation/incorporation of an unincorporated area would automatically result in an influx of commercial development? I've never been a business owner but I can't see that being a factor in a decision to open or relocate a business in a particular place. I'd only be concerned about the number of potential customers within a certain radius, cost of commercial property, tax burden, etc. If anything, an unincorporated location might be preferable since taxes and property cost might be lower, bureaucratic hindrances fewer, etc. I just can't envision businesses moving into an area just because it incorporated. Educate me....
I think it just depends on the business. Let's say someone wanted to build a shopping center, it would need to be on a sewer system and not septic tank, something usually unavailable in rural (non city) areas. Likewise, they'd want better fire and police protection which would also be within a city.

While being in the city does mean paying higher taxes (city + county), it also means lower insurance premiums because of the better fire and police protection. It may not make enough of a difference to the average homeowner, but I imagine it would make a considerable difference to a business like a supermarket or factory. A few years ago when Academy Sports announced its intent to build a 1.7 million square foot distribution center SW of Cookeville right off I-40, the land it chose was outside the city. So a referendum had to be held of the then-current land owners to be annexed into the city so the city could then extend sewer lines and also provide fire and police protection. The 2 landowners voted yes, sold their farm for millions, and Academy now employs hundreds at its mammoth facility.

But like you said, for the most part, just being inside a municipal boundary doesn't magically translate to more businesses. But some businesses do need to be inside a city for some things. Since Double Springs is so close to Cookeville and, especially, Baxter, I really don't see the pressing need to be incorporated into either city.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 03:04 PM

303 posts, read 295,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
"It's absurd."

It's also extremely corrupt. I was genuinely surprised to learn that today. Very few people in any of those three areas are likely to have five acres, and farming needs to be less spread out for eco-friendliness anyways.

If annexation is really that bad of an idea, hopefully us becoming a metro area is enough to change things for the better in some of the busier places "out in the county".

How is that corrupt? I agree that the language in the ordinance may be a little ridiculous, but most people living in the city probably don't want their neighbors to have chickens in the back yard. I know I wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: