Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 AM

5 posts, read 40,650 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!
I ve recieved a lot of great advise from very helpful people about which towns to visit for relocation. A town that i was really curious about did get mentioned. I was looking at Livingston. From the data ive collected from this website it seems like it has the things i am looking for. I am just wondering if there is anyone that has anything to add about Livingston. I really am looking for a smaller town ( a population less than 8000). Very conservative, houses with land, mountain views, lakes. i love anything outdoors. Does livingston sound like this??? I posted a thread titled Perfect small town, and got a lot of great feedback, so if anyone who responded to thats has something more to say, thank you and please . I really want to find the best place for my daughter to be raised.
I don't know my neighbors right nextdoor. I want lots of space between our homes. Everything opposite of chicago. Thank you everyone a ton in advance.
amberjo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
First, I am not a resident of Livingston. However, have been on busiiness trips to Livingston and as a result have made long-standing friendships. The residents of the Livingston area really seem to take care of each other. There's a 'family friendly' feeling for sure. If you are looking for rural areas, you will find that in Livingston. Since the city/county are close to KY, you find connections among TN/KY residents. Lastly, it is beautiful country.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:57 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberjo View Post
Hey Everyone!
I ve recieved a lot of great advise from very helpful people about which towns to visit for relocation. A town that i was really curious about did get mentioned. I was looking at Livingston. From the data ive collected from this website it seems like it has the things i am looking for. I am just wondering if there is anyone that has anything to add about Livingston. I really am looking for a smaller town ( a population less than 8000). Very conservative, houses with land, mountain views, lakes. i love anything outdoors. Does livingston sound like this??? I posted a thread titled Perfect small town, and got a lot of great feedback, so if anyone who responded to thats has something more to say, thank you and please . I really want to find the best place for my daughter to be raised.
I don't know my neighbors right nextdoor. I want lots of space between our homes. Everything opposite of chicago. Thank you everyone a ton in advance.
amberjo
I love Livingston! It is indeed everything you described. And with beautiful Dale Hollow Lake and Standing Stone State Park, it does offer lots of great outdoor activities.

I have several friends who live in Overton County, and all of them love it. One of them works in Cookeville and doesn't mind the commute at all. It's a beautiful drive.

Good luck with the move!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
You might want to do some research on the school system. Overton County is very rural thus does not receive much funding. I have not heard great things about the schools. Also be aware their justice system is as good ol' boy as it gets. Other than that Livingston is a nice town. Since HWY 111 has gone thru it is easy to travel to Cookeville for shopping, there is not much in Livingston. I believe Livingston recently passed Liquor by the drink so more restaraunts should be popping up.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 40,877 times
I am from Livingston. I have lived here all my life. I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 40,650 times
angelb448, how is the crime in Livingston? ..are there a lot of great mountain views? I am really searching for a great peaceful place with fresh air and very visually pleasing. Is the commute to Cookeville as quick as people are saying.
Another fact i saw was that there is a technical college near by, if you know any information about that , that wouuld be great. I am an EMT and i want to finish my degree as a RN. So of course the location of a hospital will be important. I don't mind driving a little. The most important thing to me is to find a place where i can really have a good quality of life. I think the closer you get to the city the faster paced things go and life goes. So i don't mind a little bit of a drive for work as long as i get to have a wounderful place to call home.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Tennessee Tech in Cookeville has a good school of nursing. There is a small hospital in Livingston and a larger one in Cookeville. There are mountain views, livingston is a nice rural area. It takes me about 15 minutes to get from work in Cookeville to Livingston via hwy 111.

As far a crime in this area, IMO it is nothing compared to crime in larger cities. Mostly minor drug related stuff, some theft and the occasional murder. Overall people in Livingston are very friendly. The kind that will strike up a conversation and help you in a pinch.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 40,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberjo View Post
angelb448, how is the crime in Livingston? ..are there a lot of great mountain views? I am really searching for a great peaceful place with fresh air and very visually pleasing. Is the commute to Cookeville as quick as people are saying.
Another fact i saw was that there is a technical college near by, if you know any information about that , that wouuld be great. I am an EMT and i want to finish my degree as a RN. So of course the location of a hospital will be important. I don't mind driving a little. The most important thing to me is to find a place where i can really have a good quality of life. I think the closer you get to the city the faster paced things go and life goes. So i don't mind a little bit of a drive for work as long as i get to have a wounderful place to call home.
The crime is mostly petty stuff, no real major stuff.
Mountain views it really just depends on where you are. Mostly it is on the out skirts of Overton County.
For me the commute to Cookeville is about 15 to 20 miles.
Here there is Vol State, and Tennessee Technology Center (vocational school.
In Cookeville there is Tennessee Tech.
The hospital is in the middle on town it is small alot of people go to Cookeville.
I have lived here all my life and can't imagine living anywhere else. Livingston has great people here that would help anyone out.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelb448 View Post
The crime is mostly petty stuff, no real major stuff.
Mountain views it really just depends on where you are. Mostly it is on the out skirts of Overton County.
For me the commute to Cookeville is about 15 to 20 miles.
Here there is Vol State, and Tennessee Technology Center (vocational school.
In Cookeville there is Tennessee Tech.
The hospital is in the middle on town it is small alot of people go to Cookeville.
I have lived here all my life and can't imagine living anywhere else. Livingston has great people here that would help anyone out.
Here's a link to the Tennessee Technology Center Livingston Tennessee Technolgy Center at Livingston

Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 PM

115 posts, read 319,296 times
I do not know how old your daughter is but here is something to note. Livingston/Overton County does not have any of the following:

Movie theater
Ice skating
Miniature golf
Bowling
Roller Skating

However, Cookeville/Putnam county has:
Bowling
Movie theater
Roller skating

There is VERY LITTLE for children in Overton County. Good luck with your transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville