Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 AM

2 posts, read 9,031 times

Advertisements

Hi to all who read this. I have never posted in a forum before and it actually took a while of looking around the site to find the new thread link. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm doing this at 2:30 a.m. I, my husband and 2 of my 4 kids have recently moved here (well, my husband got here last June, my daughter came in July to start school and I and my son came here in Oct. after selling our house). I've been on line searching for things for sale on the LSN site. We are buying an old house and remodeling part of it and trying to do it with what cash we have. I decided to post on here and see if I can get some money saving information from you guys. I don't know where the best buys (new and used) are. Does anyone know if I can get kitchen cabinets cheaper somewhere other than Lowes? We are do-it-yourselfers, so not looking for businesses that do the work. We are going to be chain linking, I think 400 ft. Does anyone know if we can get that cheaper somewhere other than Lowes? I'll list a few other things we need and if you think you know of the cheapest place or cheapest way to get it or make it, please let me know.
We need a hot water heater, some type of shed that'll store lawnmower, bikes, etc., we might need to replace a couple windows, and we're making another bathroom so it'll need a sink, toilet, and shower (not a tub) and of course all materials for the walls. Those are the major things for now. Also, those of you who shop thrift type stores (used or closeout stores), can you lead me to some good ones (other than chains like Big Lots, etc). Thankyou very much for your time in answering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:42 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,607 times
Hi, You can find some pretty good deals at Lowes, u shouldn't rule it out. They do remerchandising, and resets constantly whether it be lighting, appliances, plumbing and u can pick up some great deals. U just have to keep visiting these places, same with Home Depot. They just did a complete Cabinet reset at our lowes and sold all the displays for dirt cheap!

Also, where I live they have places for rehabbers like you. These are places with big things like doors, sinks, cabinets, windows. I guess most of these things are torn out of previous houses and either donated or consigned to this rehabber store. Most of the profits go to organizations. It is kind of like Salvation Army, only on the bigger scale. You might want to call around and see if u have places like that.........Go to garage sales, ads in the paper, craigslist, goodwill, salvation army. Don't be afraid to dumpster dive or even stop on someone curb on trash day. I know several people that have revived things that turned out beautifully. One mans trash is anothers treasure

Good Luck

Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 AM

240 posts, read 1,155,524 times
If you are in Cookeville the place to go and I was there just last week and bought kithcen cabinets all wood and any other items is Stovers. They are located on Broad Street in Cookeville. The Manger Kelly is a great guy with alot of info. My wife and I went to Lowes and looked at Cabinets. They showed us cabinets that were not made of all wood for 1200 dollars more then Stovers. Tile we bought was great and also wood floor. Great place for the do it yourselfers.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcomm0 View Post
If you are in Cookeville the place to go and I was there just last week and bought kithcen cabinets all wood and any other items is Stovers. They are located on Broad Street in Cookeville. The Manger Kelly is a great guy with alot of info. My wife and I went to Lowes and looked at Cabinets. They showed us cabinets that were not made of all wood for 1200 dollars more then Stovers. Tile we bought was great and also wood floor. Great place for the do it yourselfers.
I agree with brcomm0, Stovers has great deals on kitchen cabinets as well as things like tile, pavers, mirrors, and flooring. It's a closeout place so you never really know what to expect when you go there. They have a location here in Knoxville, too, and I love going there and just wandering around.

There's another place in Cookeville, I don't remember what it's called, but it's out East Spring (Hwy 70) between Hwy 111 and I-40. As you head east on Spring towards I-40, it'll be on your left up on a hill. I've never been inside, but on the outside they have stacks of windows, doors, fiberglass tubs, etc.

It seems there's another place in the industrial park up near the high school, but I can't remember. 15th Street? 22nd Street?

Good luck! It sounds like you're going to have fun renovating your house!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:03 PM

15 posts, read 58,316 times
Default Nurseries or Wholesale Landscapers?

This thread is great! We will also be in your same position in a few months, so I have made a note about the Stover's tip. Thanks! If you don't mind me piggybacking on your idea, is anyone familiar with a good nursery or wholesaler landscaper that will sell things that mature trees, bushes, etc. as well as good starters plants/seeds for a garden? TIA!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
PM'd ya!

Oh by the way, if I am remembering correctly, there is just the BIGGEST Goodwill store there. You never know, they might have some stuff you can use. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:41 PM

16 posts, read 90,286 times
A great way to get remodeling things or plants for your garden is to check out www.freecycle.org. People go on it and offer for free things they don't want for whatever reason, so that they can be passed on instead of ending up in a landfill. A lot of time you'll see things from a redecorating project like cabinets and such or someone might divide some of their perrenials and offer some of them up. You have to check it often because things go fast but you can't get a much better deal than free. You can also put in requests for whatever you are looking for.

There are groups for most areas in TN as well as for the major cities in TN just check out the website.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
PM'd ya!

Oh by the way, if I am remembering correctly, there is just the BIGGEST Goodwill store there. You never know, they might have some stuff you can use. Good luck and enjoy!
I read somewhere that the Goodwill store in Cookeville is the largest in Tennessee. I'm not sure what that says about Cookeville! Either it's a very generous town which donates a lot to Goodwill, or there are a lot of poor people around there who need a place like Goodwill. Or a little of both? Actually, college students tend to buy clothes at places like Goodwill, too.

But I digress. I just wanted to say I agree with your statement, Goodwill is often a good place to go to find things other than clothing.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
Talking Great Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenicanoelle View Post
A great way to get remodeling things or plants for your garden is to check out www.freecycle.org.
LOL! I was just about to post about Freecycle, before reading all the way down the thread. I belong to numerous local freecycle - I highly recommend it! I've donated tons of stuff - keep it out of the dump, and give it to someone who can use it - junk or not. I also have gotten a few things on there. check out the website, type in your zipcode, and it'll direct you to a Freecycle Yahoo Group to join.

Also, something else that my hubby and I did was to join Direct Buy - the initial cost is $3k, but after remodelling out kitchen with high end cabinets, tile, tiffany lights, granite countertops - anywhere else this would've cost us $30k+ - our cost for the total kitchen - $11k.

There's a local store in PA called Builders Surplus, which sounds like your Stovers - I was hoping that they'd have stores in TN also, haven't looked yet, but Stovers sounds comparable.

Anyway, I do highly recommend for anyone to join their local Freecycle Group. Check it out - I've donated books, clothing, scrap paper, old windows, an old garage door, toys, more clothing, and more books. Cleaning out your cupboards? Post your junk on Freecycle - give it away to someone who needs it, rather than throwing it in the trash.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Yes yes! Props for Freecycle here as well. We have both given and received some great things. You would be amazed at what someone deems "junk" or just has no use for anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville