Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM

69 posts, read 148,247 times

Advertisements

Well, I skimmed through quite a few of the 507 threads I got after searching "padre island" but still have some questions.

I've been camping and 4x4ing more than 40 yrs, have a 4x4 truck, but generally don't go 4x4ing alone in a new place. This trip I'll be solo; no other truck and no passenger. And I don't want to get stuck/stranded.

I'll camp either in a tent or the back of my truck.

1. Where on padre can I get away from everybody? I'm looking for peace and quiet and solitude on the coast.

2. Will it be crowded between Christmas and New Year's?

3. Is CHL allowed? I'm familiar with all other places in TX, just not sure about Nat'l Seashores. Links to laws appreciated.

4. Is there someplace better than Padre, but not any further distance from SA?

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM

56 posts, read 227,736 times
PINS is most awesome place to camp esp when doing a solo trip. Many answers to life's most difficult questions can be answered upon a spectacular casting of millions of stars

Remember the closer you park near the 4x4 warning sign the more traffic you will see go by your camp.

During winter the seashore has very few visitors. Most are snowbirds from up north camping on first five miles of beach.

63 miles of uninhabited beach, there will be long stretches with no one in site for miles...so pick a spot that suites your needs. Remember you may want to choose a spot with some room to nest against dunes in case of high tides. DO NOT DISTURB DUNES you can get a hefty fine for doing so.

You are also the outsider, snakes, racoons, coyotes, mule deer, kangaroo rats, stingrays, and sharks run the neighborhood. A serious injury due to wildlife or human interaction (drug trafficking, poachers) can really be life or death situation. No phones, no electricity, no water....go prepared even if you can scream like a little girl chances are no one would hear.

There is no doubt or wonder why this is park is ranked high on most dangerous National parks.

Make your list to include.
shovel
batteries
water more than needed
Cable or chain
gloves
warm clothes
food more than needed
lots of ice (does not last long) freeze empty milk jugs
tire patch kit with portable air inflator
knife
matches
hand gun
a full gas tank
duct tape
flashlight

Have fun, I guarantee if you love to camp this wont be your last time to do so on PINS.

Frequently Asked Questions - Padre Island National Seashore

Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM

69 posts, read 148,247 times
That's great news Tres.

Thanks.

I've been looking at the site a few times, and planned on adding it to my post up there...but forgot.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 PM

437 posts, read 792,772 times
Good advise from Tres.

I camped like that years ago but would go with other campers so that when one of us got stuck, and you will get stuck, we had another vehicle to pull them out. I have seen the biggest rattlesnack of all time up behind the dunes. Also, take plenty of firewood and some kind of strong tarp situation because the non stop wind wears you down.

Be very careful.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Take some fishing gear, too.

Catching and cooking your own breakfast is pretty great.

We are veggie, now so that would be a No-Go for me, but back in the day.

Did get sort of stuck one or three times, looking back -- guess I would recommend some sort of large stake and sledge hammer to drive into the sand as an anchor if you were by yourself. Just musing on that.

The tide can come up overnight, so park up close to the dunes.

Very Good List by Tres.

Usually had a 12 gauge Mossberg along, too. No idea if that was legal or not.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Be sure and tell someone when you plan to return so they can look for you if you don't show up. Also, keep in mind that you're going to be very isolated and take whatever precautions that entails. While I don't anticipate that you'll have any trouble, you will be close to the border and drugs and illegal aliens sometimes are transported in and around there.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Have fun, I guarantee if you love to camp this wont be your last time to do so on PINS.

Frequently Asked Questions - Padre Island National Seashore
I'd add a towing strap to that gear list.

From that link above:
Quote:
  • Campground and roadwork alert

The National Park Service is repairing park roads & campgrounds. This does include some paving and may result in short driving delays and reduced campsite availability. Fall is historically a very slow period so minimal visitor inconvenience is expected.
and you can't camp just anywhere. Quotes from other pages on that site.

Quote:
Camping
All camping areas are open year-round. No reservations are accepted. Camping is on a first-come, first-served basis. Campers must have a camping permit, which is available from the self-registration kiosks at the entrance of each camping area or from the campground hosts at Malaquite Campground and Bird Island Basin camping area.
There are no public RV hook-ups anywhere in the park, but an RV dump station and a water filling station are available for all campers staying in the park.
Check out time for Malaquite and Bird Island Basin is 12:00 noon.
Camping is permitted only in the five camping areas listed below. Please click the link for the individual camping area for more details.
Quote:
Firearms
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. Note that firearms, even legally possessed ones, are prohibited in all Federal buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi