Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 966 times

Advertisements

My son is in second grade since the beginning of the school year he's been having problems academically. After the first 6 weeks his progress report was not good and as any concerned parent i went to see what it was that my son was struggling with and how i could help. The teacher did not really seemed too concerned with his grades but she was concerned about his impulsiveness and inattention. She even mentioned that she had a "chat" with his last years teacher to learn more about him. My sons grades were not favorable but each time that i spoke to his teacher it seemed that her concern was more with his behavior and not his learning. by the end of the 2 six weeks my son was refusing to go to school. He would say that the teacher is always on his case even though he did not do what he was accused of. he would say that the kids would also blame everything on him and that the teacher would get after him with out giving him the chance to explain what happen. I had another meeting with teacher regarding his grades and i explained to her how my son was feeling about school and what we could do to change this and his grades. i explained to her about his self esteem and how he would also notice that teacher would praise other children for their good work and not him (when he did good). Her answer to this was "I have 20 students. I dont have time to be doing this." i was surprised by what she said and could not believe it. i know she was being honest but being that my son was having these issues i expected a little of understanding. By this time i got the feeling that the teacher did not want to bother with him so i asked my doctor to evaluate him for adhd and sure enough he was diagnosed with it. i explained this to his teacher and her answer was "so he's gonna be on drugs right." At the time his psycologist suggested that we wait on the medicine being that he was more like border line adhd. He turned 8 this April and was prescribed the meds due to his inattention and hyperactivity. But by this the beginning of may the school was able to perform a special ed testing due to our request and said that he did qualify. His grades on the testing were all very high the only part he struggled with was with a timed math test and some reading comprehension questions, but other than that the diagnostitian commented that she does not understand why his grades are so low. during this ard meeting we were also informed by his teacher that she is requesting he be retained due to his low grades. I asked if no more grades were going to be given for the month of May her answer was "we really dont issue out any grades during this month". I asked her how or what could we do to help my son pass being that she said that he was goimg to fail the ela with a 66. i ve been asking about summer school for him and she just keeps telling me she needs to see if he qualifies for the program. as any parent i really dont want for my son to be retained especially cause he is pretty tall for his current grade level ( he gets mistaken for a 4th grader. Thats how much taller he is) i want to know if i can refuse to have my son repeat the same grade level being that he is on meds now. i know that he is capable of obtaining good grades at 3rd grade level. what im asking is that what can i do. i know it was not the schools fault, my sons or ours as parents being that he was not diagnosed until January and meds on April. what are my options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
You will get a better response if you ask the moderators to move your post to the parenting forum. Or you could just re-post it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
View detailed profiles of: