Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times

Advertisements

i have worked in several cities in South Texas, so have experienced alot of South Texas, also have met alot of people from McAllen and Harlingen and Brownsville.
i DO know what i am talking about. i am not going to waste my time trying to heed warning to folks, trying to keep others from making the disasterous worst choice i have ever made in my life.........so let them all listen to just the positives of South Texas and find out for themselves..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
what?, no response from belle star? i for one would like to see her respond to your post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:08 AM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,942 times
Give me a synopsis on Zapata, Tx

Old 10-29-2007, 07:51 AM
RGV

While the prior post I wrote was an obvious joke, I am very serious in what I write now.

I am from South Texas (Brownsville to be exact) and am hispanic. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion on a particular area of Texas. I have stated this before. But, I have the same right to defend it. I have never indicated that anyone should not post and express their feelings. However, I am going to defend my area of Texas, as is my right.

So post away, but expect a response from me. I think South Texas is a very interesting area of Texas with a rich mixture of culture and history. I am proud to be from South Texas and Brownsville in particular. This topic is about Corpus Christi, but I see that it gets the same sort of treatment as the RGV. That is, it is disrepected.

When I see my area disrespected I am going to fire back.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
RGV, that's totally understandable to want to defend your home. I know someone from Harlingen, not Hispanic, but he never spoke badly about growing up down there. In fact, this is a tough ol' boy, used to be my boss, but he has a soft spot for poor Mexicans/Mexican-Americans.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:43 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I live in Corpus Christi and several years ago I commuted to Kingsville to work. The two towns have very little in common other than both being in South Texas. They are very different in size and population, have different topography, different cultural offerings and different overall education levels. And neither of them are like Brownsville, Harlingen, or McAllen, which also are different from one another.

I understand that Bellestar was unhappy in Kingsville and I would be miserable living there as well (no offense to any Kingsville residents). But I'm very happy living in Corpus Christi. I lived in Brownsville many years ago and liked it as well, despite being a tall blue-eyed blond.

Anyway, there has been lots of speculation about why CC is underdeveloped and to the extent that it is, I place the blame on the city leadership. However, in the past month I've enjoyed the Texas Jazz Festival held in Heritage Park, the new wing at the South Texas Institute for the Arts, the gallery at the Art Center of Corpus Christi, a beautiful afternoon at Padre Island, an awesome bike ride down the bayfront in perfect weather and several runs along the same bayfront.

Unfortunately in the last month, I missed Willie Nelson and Los Lonely Boys in concert, the Harbor Half marathon (run over the Harbor Bridge), the Conquer the Coast Bike Race (rained out) and the IceRayz exhibition hockey game. There have been other rock/heavy metal concerts and some classical concerts that I haven't been interested in.

The point is, there is plenty to do in Corpus Christi if you just get out and do it. We're in the beginning of 6 or 7 months of great weather that allows for lots of outdoor activities. You can complain, or you can get out and have some fun. It's up to you.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:57 AM
RGV

Hey Marlow, any word on what the city is planning on doing with the old auditorium building?

Last I heard there were several proposals.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
There's a committee looking at it and they've had several meetings and hired a consultant. At this point it doesn't look like they're going to tear it down, but are trying to find a way to make usable space out of it.

If someone is going to complain about CC, complaining about Memorial Coliseum is legitimate IMHO. A lack of leadership that has allowed it to sit there vacant for several years. Whatever they decide to do with it, I hope they do it soon.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
RGV

Yes, I agree. That is prime land.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
I read some place that the area is about to explode with growth as places like Houston and Dallas and other Texas cities get over crowded.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
I think Corpus has potential. I really do. It is nice, has pretty beaches and great weather. But they have been saying Corpus is about to explode about as long as they have been saying soccer is going to become the next big thing. I think neither is going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi