Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 6,501 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I recently moved back to the valley and I've noticed an interesting phenomenon and wanted to see if there was anyone else out there that had experienced the same thing.
I work in an educational setting and I have noticed that it is difficult for me to connect with my coworkers and the students. After receiving some feedback, I was told that it might be due to the language I choose to speak on a day to day basis. Although I know Spanish, I primarily speak English. I don't use both languages (Spanglish) in conversation and if I do it's very rare.

If I am speaking with a person who ONLY speaks Spanish then I too will speak Spanish. I don't mind speaking Spanish, but I think in English and it is just an easier language for me to use, especially at work.

It was brought to my attention that people do not speak to me because I only speak English even though I know Spanish, and that it can be misinterpreted as being disrespectful (especially because I myself am Hispanic). Although I respect the culture here and understand that speaking Spanglish is a part of the culture, I am having a hard time finding solutions for the issue. Other than speaking Spanglish, which I will admit I have started to do more of in order to fit in.

I also have a hard time speaking Spanglish because I don't feel there are many other places (even in Texas) that you could do that, especially in an educational/professional settings.
Has anyone else experienced this? And if you did, how did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,413,002 times
Brownsville is 140 miles to the south of CC. You should have posted this in the Texas forum. I don't understand why people keep posting Valley threads in the CC forum. Since when did CC become a part of the Valley?

BTW, there isn't a problem of this in CC. The only places you might hear people speaking Spanish over English is on the west side or in a taqueria.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 6,501 times
Thanks for that info. I've never posted on here before so I wasn't sure where to include it. To be honest, the only reason I posted this under CC was because I saw other valley locations there as well.
Posted under TX now

Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM

484 posts, read 1,632,189 times
misshannajo

I'm an Anglo raised in TX, so I speak both English and Spanglish. I've spent most of my professional life in both camps, whenever necessary I just switch gears and run with whatever language that works. My experience is that the Hispanics working for me who are not totally fluent in English are relieved to know they are at least understood.

If you are working in an academic situation where folks are reluctant to speak English, or look down on you for choosing to speak the recognized national language, that's a problem. You might remember that language is what unites us, if we refuse to speak a common tongue we can never be, "E pluribus unum".

"

Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 PM

346 posts, read 647,426 times
To be blunt about it, why is there no Rio Grande Valley category? If the great metropolis of Tyler gets one...shouldn't a region with over 1.3 million people get one.

Well I know this is not a question for this board, and since most categories are named after specific cities, there is probably no consensus on which city should be in the title category.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 AM

286 posts, read 569,808 times
North Carolina has a category for "Coastal".
No reason there shouldn't be one here for "RGV".

Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
To be blunt about it, why is there no Rio Grande Valley category? If the great metropolis of Tyler gets one...shouldn't a region with over 1.3 million people get one.

Well I know this is not a question for this board, and since most categories are named after specific cities, there is probably no consensus on which city should be in the title category.
You an ask the moderators to set up an RGV sub-forum if you want one. That's what someone did a couple of years ago to start the CC sub-forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi