Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

Maybe Corpus should get its own thread - as there is certainly some interest.

There's a neighborhood in Corpus no one talks about. Its right next to downtown, but many in Corpus won' t even go there.

In the past its been notorious for crime - and drug dealing is pretty much out in the open- drive by and people yell at you asking what you might want. It was filled with substandard housing.

There is another side to this neighborhood. If we get a new bridge the likely path will be just west of this area. The highway separating The Cut and downtown will be removed. The Cut has been so bad that many of the dilapidated shacks are falling down. Two slumlords Block Realty and one other lady own a large portion of the neighborhood. They have had many complaints but the city does nothing.

What is happening though is some of these shacks are being cleared. Some people have fled to other neighborhoods when they can afford to. It is starting - just starting to become a quiet area with lots of green spaces. It has a great location -geographically. Its also one of the quietest areas in CC - during the day. No traffic either.

I bought a parcel of land there and was considering buying some more in time. It will take a long time for improvement though. I was going there 4-5 times a week just looking. I did make the mistake of taking a date through there one evening and she freaked out - oh well.

On my last trip I must have gone through a stop sign without a full stop. That gave the police the excuse to use two squad cars to interrogate me, after all why would a white person in a nice car be there if he wasn't looking for drugs? I was pretty good natured and the police could see I was amused at their actions. I actually started telling them my theory about what Could - not will- happen to this area over time. They weren't impressed and told me "you don't belong here"

Anyone else - know this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
No but Flour Bluff used to be like that.. but its now one of the places to be.. so I think your right it can change and will I am sure over time.

I wish we could get a Corpus sub forum.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 AM

42 posts, read 176,460 times
I'm pretty new to CC and anytime I mention the lack of "ethnic diversity," I'm told to look in the Cut. Where is it located? Keep in mind, I live on The Island and usually don't go any farther than downtown.....so not familiar w/ where it's located.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Muhnay - Flour Bluff was never as bad as the Cut.

ocean - next time you are in that neighborhood (during daytime), stop by Erma's Diner for a great lunch (if it's still there - it's been about 7-8 years since I've been). Erma makes some assortment of soul food each day, and you go in and the only choice you get is whether you want tea or water. Then the meal comes out. Great food. Corner of Sam Rankin and Chipito Street.

One other thing that may hold back the development of the Cut is the location of the wastewater treatment plant.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM

awecelot _ I don't think its still there - there's a church for sale on 1212 Sam Rankin and slum houses up on the next corner - think that's where.

Muhney - yes it could get better -can't get worse but Awe is correct Flour Bluff and the CUT are not in the same league. I still have never seen a white resident of the CUT but there are some hispanics- not many. My friend Jim who grew up only a few miles from it -said there are different laws for the Cut - normal ones don't apply.

Jimmayor - foolish post - different races always have had some hostility towards each other but generally everyone in CC and EL Paso as well get along- Perhaps they didn't like you for something else besides race - maybe they read some of your posts...

Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 PM

No one yet has answered where the CUT is.. can you give us a business, streets something?

Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Im sorry its the AREA north of the highway - interstate 37. Its roughly bounded by Broadway to the north-- Port St to the west ( which is the beginning of Hillcrest) and that interstate leading to bridge on the East. The heart of it would be 1300 Staples area perhaps.

Sorry Muhnay although I disagree with your politics, you always help other people and deserve an answer to your question.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 PM

I have Politics! WOOHOO!

Thanks was not my question though it was escantrell.. I am sure he/she appreciates the response though.. I do too, so thank you.

So here is a google map.. is this the area?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...21887&t=h&z=16

Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 PM

NO - the area is NORTH STAPLES 1300 North Staples would get you there. 1300 South Staples is a run-down area itself but thats true with much of the staples alemeda area. The difference between those areas and the CUT is the Cut is Black but also generally quieter and greener.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Ocean - the Diner is still there on Google Street View...it's not much so if you blinked when you went by, you missed it. Try this link: Corpus Christi, TX - Google Maps

The best way to describe the location of the Cut is that it is north of I-37, south and west of Broadway, and east of Port Ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi