Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 08:15 AM

140 posts, read 731,699 times

Advertisements

We are investigating a permanent retirement relocation to the Gulf Coast region around Corpus Christi. We strongly prefer a 55+ age-restriced community, that has plenty of modern amenities and if possible, an organized activities program for residents. We prefer to buy our own house and that it be no more than $250,000 at the most. The area must be safe, have very good medical facilities nearby. and some modest shopping.

We are willing to consider any 55+ age-restriced community within a 50 mile distance, any direction, from Corpus Christi.

If there are such communities in or on the outskirts of Corpus, we have not found any despite all our hours of internet research.

We hope you all can provide some "insider" information. Thank you for your time and assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Sorry, but I don't know of any such communities in the area.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:34 PM

241 posts, read 1,178,246 times
Me either, I lived in Corpus for 5 years. I have never heard of anything like what you are talking about.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Most of the coastal land within 50 miles to the north of Corpus is not in private hands. Maybe someone else can comment on the situation to the south, as I'm less familiar with it.

There is a lot of coastal development happening in Calhoun County, north of Corpus. (See the links below) It's all laden with amenities, but it's 70-80 miles from Corpus and I don't think any of it is age-restricted. I do believe that it's likely geared to retirees.

Seaport Lakes. Relaxed coastal living

Bay Club - Seadrift, Texas Waterfront Homes - Near Port O'Connor

Swan Point Landing

The Sanctuary - Intracoastal Community On The Texas Gulf Coast

Caracol ~ Sophisticated Coastal Living

Old 02-27-2008, 04:20 PM

241 posts, read 1,178,246 times
Isn't it illegal to decline a person to live somewhere based on age?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:02 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
retirement communities in Corpus Christi - Google Search

Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
I saw a lot of nursing homes and assisted facilities listed on that search. If that's truly what the OP was looking for, the list of places I provided won't be of interest at all.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I saw a lot of nursing homes and assisted facilities listed on that search. If that's truly what the OP was looking for, the list of places I provided won't be of interest at all.
I don't know for sure.. But I think they wanted to know of 55+ only communities and that to me sounds like a retirement village.. like they have all across Florida. I am sure you have seen a commercial for the Villages.. with their catchy little song. I don't think Texas has any of those. We should since we have the perfect climate for it along the coast.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,188 times
Default Very rare to find age-restricted communities in central U.S.

I assume you mean age-restricted communities that are for 55+ still-active adults who do not as yet need assisted living and do not wish housing that offers that option when needed.

If so, you will find maybe some in perhaps a very few large metro areas in the Central U.S. While such are often found on both coasts and in Arizona, they're relatively rare elsewhere.

We're considering a move to St. Louis, MO, metro area population of 2.5 million, and I've found only assisted living-type adult communities.

Unfortunately, age-restricted adult communities of the type you seek are not a trend that's caught on in this part of the country as yet. Most older adults in the Central U.S. downsize to a regular apartment or condo or simply stay in their home until they need assisted living or nursing home care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi