Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 09:21 PM

188 posts, read 616,013 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

We're heading to Rockport/Fulton next weekend and since I've only been there once before, several years ago, I need some advice and I figured that you CD people would have the answers!!

1. Recommendations on a good place to eat dinner (picky kids who don't like seafood). Has anyone tried Paradise Key Island Grill - is it any good? Or somewhere else on the water or with a neat view? We've only ever been to Charlotte Plummers (sp?).

2. Goose Island state park - my son wants to go fishing, and I saw that it is free to fish inside state parks once you've paid the entrance fee (no fishing license or stamps needed). Here's where I need help - we've only ever done freshwater fishing from a lakeshore while living in Colorado... how different is saltwater fishing from a pier? Do I need different stuff - he just has a regular rod/reel and those neon round egg-like and marshmallow-like bait things - I don't do worms! Would he catch anything with that?

3. Besides Rockport beach park, Goose Island state park, Fulton mansion, and the Texas State Aquarium (a short drive I know) is there any other must-dos in the area?

THANKS everyone. This forum is such a great resource. All hints/tips appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 09:50 PM

56 posts, read 227,610 times
1. Rockport now has a Chili's, McDonald's and all the other fast food chains. Maybe all you need with picky eaters.

There is a great little restaurant in Aransas Pass called Grandma's, I believe. The breakfast is awesome definitely try it.

2. Fish at night under the lights with a regular seven foot rod with a speck-rig. Pictured below and they will come in a tandem set.

http://image.bayimg.com/hajlgaabp.jpg

These can be purchased at Tackle Town in Rockport on Business 35 for under two bucks and will last all night.

The trick with these is just get them wet . Night time schoolie trout under the lights will devour them. Have fun but watch out you've got two hooks to deal with.

3. No must dos, just chill. Enjoy the scenery it will be over before you know it.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-17-2008 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: pic chng'd to link

Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,567 times
Alice Fayes has good seafood, Charlotte Plumbers is ok with a nice salad bar.

The boiling pot and Hu Dats are famous but not for seafood.

The Big Fisherman has quite reasonably priced seafood dishes, I haven't tried all of them but most seem good. Unfortunately all the "All you can eat" specials are fried.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-17-2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: cleaned it up -- no titles needed except in thread's first post

Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,282 times
Just wanted to say how ENVIOUS I am! Rockport was our family vacation spot for many years (in-law's had a second home there). My hubby even proposed to me there. I have missed it terribly since moving to CO. You've gotten some good advice/suggestions. Our fun thing to do with the kids was to stop at the HEB and pick up some chicken necks and twine and take them out crabbing off one of the piers. It was always a challenge trying to get those guys into the net Enjoy your weekend!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:38 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,578 times
If you are going to go to the Aquarium, go ahead and plan a lunch at Black Beard's. It's very good. There is also the USS Lexington you can tour, do both the TSA and USS and you'd worked up an appetite.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks all! We did go around mid-August but will be going back several times per year so keep those ideas coming!

We stayed at the Pelican Bay cottages - pretty nice place, kids loved their pool, and they did have their own fishing dock which was convenient and fun. We ate at the Paradise Key Island grill on key allegro - it was good, and the kids liked eating on the dock and running over to watch the jellyfish float by in the water.

The aquarium was fun - love that place - and next time we'll try BlackBeards. We want to do the Lex but I think that seems like an all-day kind of thing, or at least not something we want to fit in with the aquarium the same day.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the good suggestions!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:25 AM

Oh and TexaCo mom - we just moved here to SA from Colorado - Broomfield, specifically. Where in CO are you? If you are new to CO and want any advice PM me - I am a CO native and spent my entire life (except for this last year) in CO.

While I love SA, I do miss Colorado...

Old 09-18-2008, 08:31 AM

345 posts, read 1,566,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzillajen View Post
Oh and TexaCo mom - we just moved here to SA from Colorado - Broomfield, specifically. Where in CO are you? If you are new to CO and want any advice PM me - I am a CO native and spent my entire life (except for this last year) in CO.

While I love SA, I do miss Colorado...
Wow, small world! I'm a Texas native from San Antonio. Born, raised & lived there for 39 years. Moved to Colorado in 2000, Westminster initially until we got our bearings then ended up in Brighton for the past 7 years.

I still have family there in the area, so I look forward to one day moving back.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,856 times
I didn't read anyone mentioning the Bar B Q Shack. Great barbq!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi