Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 24,533 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to South Texas for work in about a month. I'll be working in Sinton Texas and was just curious to know what the cost of renting a house or an apartment in the area would be. I would like to live near Sinton, possibly Taft, Portland, Odem, etc. Dont really want to drive from Coprus Christi everday but I am willing to. Im single, 28yrs old and have a dog so i would prefer a house with a yard for him but not necessary. Dont really want to spend more than $600/month if possible. I'll only be in Texas for a year and than will be moving to Mississippi for another job. I have never been to Texas and dont know anybody so living in a place that has somewhat of a good social scene for a 28yr single guy would be prefered. Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 AM

411 posts, read 1,164,980 times
As far as I know, Sinton is pretty small, so there may not be much of a social scene. It is probably very cheap there though. Portland may be could because it is outside Corpus Christi. You won't have to drive as far but it is still close to the Corpus Christi amenities. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
Personally I wouldn't live in Sinton. Odem might be a better town, except it's dry and I likes my beer. Slightly south you have Rockport, (not too bad, but touristy and pricy) and Ingleside, (worse), and as mentioned, Portland, (which can be even more expensive),,, I was through Sinton a few days ago and I don't recall even seeing an apartment complex I'd consider.

If you've been transferred to Sinton for a job that doesn't pay extremely well, I think you've been screwed.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Odem being dry. I likes my beer too, lol. My boss has rented a house in Odem and failed to mention that to me. Well the job i'm taking is construction and i"ll only be there a year before being transferred to Mississippi. I think portland might be my best bet. I'm just looking for a place for my dog and I where the rent is no more than $600/month. Do you think I can can find that in Portland or should I be looking in CC? I agree that Sinton probably isn't worth living in

Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I think Portland would be your best bet also. Close enough to drive to work, close enough to come into CC when you have time. Don't know about rents there, though. You'll have to look around and see.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:20 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
$600.00 will not get you much of a house and having a dog shouldn't be a problem. Everyone has a dog in Texas, sometimes more than one, so landlords are used to it. I'd suggest you think in terms of more a bit more rent money or think about renting a mobile home in the area since they will almost always be cheaper.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM

A mobile home would be right up my alley. I've been renting apts for 10 yrs and am flat out sick of it. I've been looking for mobile homes in the portland area but no luck. Any websites with listings other than craigslist would be most helpful

Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Here are links to two local classified ad weeklies:

TNOL.com : Corpus Christi, TX Area

http://ads.adsack.com/

Beware of renting anything in Robstown if you're tempted to do so. There may be some nice places outside of town, but anything in town is liable to be a dump and/or too close to drug dealers for comfort (my apologies to all law-abiding Robstownians).

Also, talk to your future employer and co-workers. You may find something by word-of-mouth that hasn't been advertised.

If the links don't work, google the Thrifty Nickle and the AdSack.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
If you want a social scene you will need to live in CC or Rockport. If it were me I'd live in Rockport/Fulton, the community has a lot to offer and the traffic for you to go to work will be very light. It is not touristy like Port Aransas which relies on tourism as its main industry. Rockport is a real community with a lot more going for it. You will find a lot more night life and social activities there then anywhere around Sinton.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Look at the Calallen area. Its right up US 77, 10 minutes from Sinton, within Corpus Christi city limits, 10 minutes from downtown, and 15 minutes from shopping. Very nice suburban area. Closer than Portland to Sinton. There are also a lot of apartment complexes in the area with very affordable rent. Look at the 78410 area code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi