Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 04:05 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times

Advertisements

The Crosstown Commons project and the outlets by the fairgrounds. Personally, I believe the developers have backed out already but don't want to admit it yet.

I doubt either will ever get built, but I sure hope I am wrong.

Calallen can use the development out here.

Heres the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 AM

162 posts, read 705,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
The Crosstown Commons project and the outlets by the fairgrounds. Personally, I believe the developers have backed out already but don't want to admit it yet.

I doubt either will ever get built, but I sure hope I am wrong.

Calallen can use the development out here.

Heres the story.
Agreed completely.

As for Calallen development, personally I'd like the idea of an outlet mall out on 624 as opposed to Robstown.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalallenMom View Post
Agreed completely.

As for Calallen development, personally I'd like the idea of an outlet mall out on 624 as opposed to Robstown.
I agree too. But the only bad thing about something like that built on 624 would be more traffic. A lot more. 624 cant handle very much more traffic either, it is already bad enough as it is.

The good thing about outlets being built on 77 would be;

Major growth along the U.S. 77 corridor between IH 37 all the way down past Robstown.

All of the Robstown area and Calallen area would be much more desireable.

It makes perfect business sense to build an outlet mall by the fairgrounds.

Also US 77 would have to be widened to a 6 lane highway from south of Robstown all the way to the I 37 junction due to the added traffic.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I agree too. But the only bad thing about something like that built on 624 would be more traffic. A lot more. 624 cant handle very much more traffic either, it is already bad enough as it is.

The good thing about outlets being built on 77 would be;

Major growth along the U.S. 77 corridor between IH 37 all the way down past Robstown.

All of the Robstown area and Calallen area would be much more desireable.

It makes perfect business sense to build an outlet mall by the fairgrounds.

Also US 77 would have to be widened to a 6 lane highway from south of Robstown all the way to the I 37 junction due to the added traffic.
Good point. 624 definitely can't handle much more traffic -- it's a pain just to leave the Wal-Mart parking lot. I DO like the idea of US 77 a LOT! Ah, we can dream, lol.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Yep. Image 77 being another S.P.I.D., but nicer looking. 44 and 77 being a junction kind of like the I-37 and NPID junction. Which is something they need to consider soon before too much stuff is built around 77 and 44. Because once the area is developed, 44 will serve as a major route from Robstown and surrounding areas into CC.

By the way, isn't 77 turning into I-69?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 PM

16 posts, read 59,160 times
Retail/suburban sprawl is a dead-end. The tenants will move out in a heartbeat if conditions change (Parkdale; abandoned malls and centers across America), and the "jobs" are dead-end/low-pay. Calallen needs no "help" of this sort any more than does the rest of CC.

What is needed is a regional transportation plan that places retail back at the local nexus (downtown CC) and connects local and regional rail (streetcars and interurban trains) so that locally-owned businesses that pay a living, family wage (inducing loyalty & great service) benefit by having customers from all over the region.

A connection of this system to San Antonio and the high-speed intercontinental system now proposed will ensure retail stability, and keep local dollars at home.

Car-based retail on otherwise productive farmland is a double loser. We ruin an advantage . . we haven't sprawled like other places, so let's work it to our advantage.

We need to think big, and think along smarter lines about our future. The State and the Nation are needed for this region (nothing new). Attractively, we can be a model for other areas, a huge selling point.

And, as a port city, Corpus Christi is needed by the nation at large, so local/regional and national connections are vital to the national economy in the event of unforeseen problems at other ports be they on the Mississippi, the Gulf or any other coast.

Other cities have already discovered the advantage of mixed, denser housing and retail at rail stops. For us, that can also mean connections along/near our beautiful coast; a double-whammy.

Last edited by rednax; 05-26-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Retail/suburban sprawl is a dead-end. The tenants will move out in a heartbeat if conditions change (Parkdale; abandoned malls and centers across America), and the "jobs" are dead-end/low-pay. Calallen needs no "help" of this sort any more than does the rest of CC.

What is needed is a regional transportation plan that places retail back at the local nexus (downtown CC) and connects local and regional rail (streetcars and interurban trains) so that locally-owned businesses that pay a living, family wage (inducing loyalty & great service) benefit by having customers from all over the region.

A connection of this system to San Antonio and the high-speed intercontinental system now proposed will ensure retail stability, and keep local dollars at home.

Car-based retail on otherwise productive farmland is a double loser. We ruin an advantage . . we haven't sprawled like other places, so let's work it to our advantage.

We need to think big, and think along smarter lines about our future. The State and the Nation are needed for this region (nothing new). Attractively, we can be a model for other areas, a huge selling point.

And, as a port city, Corpus Christi is needed by the nation at large, so local/regional and national connections are vital to the national economy in the event of unforeseen problems at other ports be they on the Mississippi, the Gulf or any other coast.

Other cities have already discovered the advantage of mixed, denser housing and retail at rail stops. For us, that can also mean connections along/near our beautiful coast; a double-whammy.
Actually, Calallen can use an area like S.P.I.D. . It is so annoying driving 18 minutes every day to work or just to go find something to do. There are about 50,000 people in the Calallen/Robstown area, but nothing to do. Out here its not sprawly suburbs. It is an area in need of development. The low paying jobs can go to high school and college students in the area, and the management jobs can go to people with degrees. The only shopping out here is H-E-B or Wal-Mart. There are no restaurants except for a select few and the rest is just fast food.

This is one area which really can use some development.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 AM

So true, Gabe. I'd love to see a Target along with more restaurants. We always end up eating out here because I can't stand driving into Corpus most days, but our options are very limited. I was way bummed when China King closed (by far the best Chinese food, IMO) and a ::gasp:: mexican restaurant opened in it's place. Blaaaaaaaah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi