Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times

Advertisements

Gotcha. Something tells me it won't take those Californians too long to catch on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I know. I'm torn between wanting to defend Corpus Christi from its critics but not wanting it to be "discovered" as the next place for everyone to move.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I wish I could defend everyone from the massive influx. My moms family and she grew up in Floresville, sinton, and Corpus Christi. for many years my great grandparents and grandparents had lakehouses on Lake Corpus Christi, or as they always called it, Lake Mathis. Now I live outside of Austin, and most people on the Austin forum are lauding the west side of 35 as the place to be. I live on the East side of 35, where it's grown a ton, but not as much as the west. Sometimes people ask about CC, but most people only tell them about South Padre. So I think you're safe for a while. Spending every other summer in Mathis and CC as I was growing up (I'm 37 now), i just have the greatest memories.Even until recently, I know it's grown quite a bit, but I still love the atmosphere there. Of course, I'm also a big water bug!

Old 06-23-2007, 02:49 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,399 times
Default changeofpace

When we visited Corpus the first time in March, we had the exact same impression, Corpus just has not been discovered yet. We have just returned from our second visit and buying a home in northern Corpus (Calallen area) and have the same opinion. We decided to buy and move to Corpus now because we honestly feel in 10 years when the majority of the baby boomers retire, you wont be able to afford anything in Corpus or around Corpus. My new job is to prepare for the influx as well as improve the existing transit system in Corpus. I am also very active in urban planning with the local city government and the local chamber of commerce members. I hope I can contribute to both Calallen and the entire Corpus area when we arrive in late Sep. My wife is relocating her business as well and she also is very active in local urban neighborhood design and improvement issues and will be in Corpus as well. I might add, the local government officials and the transit officials have been courting us to move there so it speaks they are open to new ideas and need and want experienced urban planners and designers to assist them.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:53 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
I like Corpus, but probably cannot see living there.

While the housing may be considered cheap, the local wages are also skewed downward. No real bargain in that. Some nasty pollution history from the big refinery, and the schools seem to be lacking.

So if you add up low wages + low schools + pollution you do not have a good place to make a home.

And none of that is to down it in anyway, just a quick review after a first hand look after turning a job down there for the above reasons. But we visit and will visit again. The kids like the museums and beach, and I like the National Seashore.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,703 times
Does anyone know which area is best Corpus or Galveston, we are from the UK and are looking to buy a holiday home, my boyfriend is hooked on Kite Surfing, Any Kiters out there? we're coming over next mnth

Thankyou

Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Corpus Christi is a hidden jewel in Texas. It could easy be the next Fort Lauderdale. I guess the "Good ole boys" have kept Corpus from really taking off.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 AM

232 posts, read 995,407 times
I guess I could see Corpus being another FT. Lauderdale. It's pretty cheap here, right now. Maybe I need to start investing in beach properties.
Anyone want to go in on a resort together ? LOL

Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
First I would open a decent seafood restaurant, then I would hire a NYC PR firm for tourism. After that I would market heavy to retirees as the new Florida. The city also needs to compete for Tech business since it is a major port.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:09 AM

8 posts, read 25,727 times
Default LINSON, check out ROCKPORT FULTON

live there. KEY ALLEGRO.

why is it cheap? it's texas. cost of living. you do get torrential rains sometimes, but any coastal city does.

visit ROCKPORT FULTON and stay at THE LIGHTHOUSE INN and check out the home in KEY ALLEGRO there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi