Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:10 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times

Advertisements

scubashawn...please keep in mind that there are reasons why some folks cant leave. i have a lease, which is up in sept. and believe me, i am not renewing, but i cannot skip out on a contract! i dont know about anyone else but i am not irresponsible, hence i will live here until my lease is up...
but at the same time, i do want to make sure that folks get all different viewpoints of the area. maybe there is someone who has my likes/dislikes or my lifestyle, they should know my opinion, to save them the mistake that i made. if i had all these negative responses regarding Corpus and South Texas when i posted, i would have definitely not moved here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn View Post
Give me a break....I'm enjoying the area a lot.....Again...if you don't like it....leave !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 AM

30 posts, read 111,653 times
I have to agree with the posters above in the Corpus stinks club. I hated everything about it and got out as fast as I could. I thought it was a filthy little crime ridden hole and would never go back. I can usually like just about any place or find something good about it but this place was the bottom of the barrel. The two things I disliked the most was the corrosion of cars and tools etc even in the garage, and the number of illegals. That just changes a town and I don't think for the better.

You can jump on the anti-Corpus posts all you want but I lived there and this is how I felt about it. People who are asking honest questions about a place ought to get honest answers not just from people who like it or don't even live there. That is my honest answer.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I grew up in CC and moved back as an adult and have lived her for 11 years now and I like it just fine for the most part. The heat gets me down and the city leadership has been awful. We have 3 new city council members that I'm optimistic about, but only time will tell whether they are able to do a better job of leading the city.

But I like being close to the water and I love the beach. People are relaxed and friendly. Traffic is rarely an issue and it's an easy commute to work. My daughter goes to a good school and we live in a neighborhood where people know each other's names.

I was one of the people who voted against closing the beach to vehicular traffic--not so much because I love driving on the beach, but because it was a move by developers to, in effect,take control of the beach for themselves and exclude the general public. That's a topic for another discussion, but I was proud of CC for saying "No thanks--we're not selling our best asset to the highest bidder so it can look like everyother overbuilt beach resort in the country."

Corpus Christi clearly is not for everyone, but neither are Houston, Austin, or Kerrville (all places I've lived and don't want to return to). While the negative opinions are important for people considering whether to live here or not, they're not the only opinions out there. I am friends with people from Florida, Maryland, Arkansas, Michigan, Washington, Oklahoma and Iran, all of whom chose to move here and all of whom are happy to live here.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM

232 posts, read 995,407 times
All I'm saying is if you don't have something nice to say,,,don't say it at all.
Corpus has lots to offer and it's really not fair to be so negative just because it doesn't suit you.
Belle, understand about the lease issue....maybe not saying anything is best until your lease is up...then you can leave.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,942 times
Hey, I don't agree with what Belle says about CC, but she does have the right to say it, and, she likes my photos.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:24 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
well, i dont think it's fair to "not say anything"...if more folks had given me a REAL picture of what it's like down here, i wouldnt have taken this contract job....i dont want anyone to make the same mistake. they can look at what type of person i am, what kind of lifestyle i like, and if they see some similiarities, then they will heed my warnings. if they are not much like me, and have different likes and dislikes, then they will just ignore me and listen to others who they can relate to. it's only fair that they get all sides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn View Post
All I'm saying is if you don't have something nice to say,,,don't say it at all.
Corpus has lots to offer and it's really not fair to be so negative just because it doesn't suit you.
Belle, understand about the lease issue....maybe not saying anything is best until your lease is up...then you can leave.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,737,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest & Blunt View Post
To make a long story short, these Patition People were successful keeping cars on the Beach & everything nice & new OUT... Still a great place for a tractor Pull !! just not to nice for Tourists !! kinda dirty gross ! Lottsa Seaweed everywhere & no developement to keep up the beach!
Now, to be fair. There is an old beat up Holiday inn on the beach, you can't evan eat outside. Real Old and crappy.

Now, lets talk about the city of Corpus Christi. This place is stuck in the 80's.
There is hardly any retail shopping ! Again same old story. a 37 year old Padre Staples ( indoor ) Mall. Everyone in Corpus drives 130 miles to San Antonio for supplies once or twice a month. Corpus has only ONE SuperMarket Chain, Texas Owned H.E.B.... Let me tell you, nothing is ever on sale. These guy's will rip your lips off....! They sell one National Brand & Their store brand, that's it ! Take it or leave it ! Oh, and there is the Chamber of Anti-Commerce. If anyone wants to come in here and compete with their businesses.... Well, let's just say. That won't happen around here. YaHear!

Ok, so you want to buy a home here, OK. Let's start by saying. Home prices are on the low side. Until you factor in Property Taxes 5 times higher than I paid in Denver. My Water & Trash in Corpus are 4 times higher than in Denver & the water is GROSS! Elec & Gas bills worse too, do to some strange selection process where you pick your provider. Well guess what? it's kinda like DeRegulation of the phone Co. The Price SkyRocketed !!! Enough Said !
Oh, then there is Insurance. You will need Plenty. Wind & Flood, plus your car insurance will go up to. Because no one in Corpus has a drivers license, let alone car insurance.... P.S. better keep a close eye on your car here. They sorta disappear, especially at movie theaters!

Now, lets talk about the Media. Local T.V. & Radio station are down right primitive. Plus they Suck Up to the controling families who run Corpus.

I could go on & on, you get my drift. I'll be the first to tell you I hate Corpus. What you need to know is, most people from outside Texas do! However, their are many Texans from equally challenged towns in Texas that think this is a step up, and having visited a few of these towns. their right! As bad as it is here. Robstown & Alice Texas are worse.

So if your looking for a 21st century city with potential & a rosy future, keep looking. This is not it. Let's face it. They havn't a clue here! They think Olive Garden is Fine Dining, Really, they evan like chain restaurants, but then if your seeking good Mexican Food, you would think you could find it here, right! Wrong, I haven't found any good food in this whole town and I've been here over a year. If you like filling up at the trough, well then your in hog heaven, most restaurants are Buffet dining all you can eat. By the way, they can eat a lot too! When I first got here, I noticed everyone drove these 3/4 ton Trucks....now I know why! You see, everyone is so fat here. They can't fit in an average car. So they drive these 3/4 ton trucks! Evan Starbucks has to have a drive thru window. Because these people just don't want to move.

If your moving here? Good luck! I'm trying to get out of here as we speak, I was very optimistic for the 1st 6 months. But, after a while reality starts sinks in. you realize you've made a huge mistake. This mistake has cost me many thousands of dollars. All I ask is you look real close before you leep !

Warm Regards,
I-Ocean Dr. Speeder
Corpus Christi, Texas 78418

I have to agree with most of the above post. I was miserable in Corpus and I really REALLY tried to like it. I have lived all over the country and even Panama and Corpus was by far the most miserable. It is unfair to bully people who make negative comments about a place just because you like it. The whole point of this website is for people to do unbiased research and that means hearing from people who like an area and those who don't. I wish I had found it before I moved to Corpus because the negative opinions expressed here were pretty much exactly what I hated about living there. The point of this thread should not be to convince people to move to Corpus, it should be to give honest opinions about what we liked and didn't like and let people make up their own minds.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:10 AM

I'm not trying to bully people into liking Corpus just because I do.
I could careless if someone likes it here. We all have are own OPINIONS as to what we like and dislike. All I am saying is that it is unfair to bash a city just because you have had bad experiences here. Especially when some of what people are saying is only a opinion not a fact.
I'm not from here, infact I have only lived here 3 months. I just haven't found the negatives the people are pointing out to be true.
No hard feelings guys.....

ps...I love your photo's too RGV !

Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I agree that it's important to post the negatives about a place and that people who didn't like CC certainly should give their opinions but to say things like "everyone in Corpus drives 130 miles to San Antonio for supplies once or twice a month" is silly. I don't know anyone who does that. Yes, people go to San Antonio to shop but it's because they like shopping at different stores. It's not for "supplies" like we live in some Antarctic outpost. You can get everything you want or need here although we don't have some stores that people really love, like Banana Republic or Nordstrom's, etc.

"They sell one National Brand & Their store brand, that's it ! Take it or leave it!" Another statement that just isn't true. HEB does almost have a monopoly on grocery shopping--but there's also WalMart, Sam's and SunHarvest. And at HEB you have more to choose from than 2 brands. I wish we had more stores to choose from, but it's not as drastic a situation as he makes it out to be.

"Because no one in Corpus has a drivers license, let alone car insurance.... P.S. better keep a close eye on your car here. They sorta disappear, especially at movie theaters!" Another ridiculous exaggeration.

"They havn't a clue here! They think Olive Garden is Fine Dining, Really, they evan like chain restaurants, but then if your seeking good Mexican Food, you would think you could find it here, right! Wrong, I haven't found any good food in this whole town and I've been here over a year." As far as locally owned, non-chain restaurants you can get Thai, Vietnamese, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, steaks, seafood, barbeque, pizza and Mexican food.

Again, CC isn't Austin, Houston or Dallas and people who are happy here don't want it to be. The poster who said all the above-quoted negative things said he came to CC in hopes of making a bunch of money on a development project on Padre Island. It fell through because the developer wanted to close a section of beach to traffic, it was put to a public vote and voted down. Again, it wasn't so much about driving on the beach as it was about the developer trying to make it inaccessible to anyone but people staying at his resort. After the vote, the developer pulled out and Honest and Blunt is clearly bitter. He has every right to be, but I think his bitterness is leading him to describe CC's shortcomings in an exaggerated fashion.

I'm not saying CC is the best place to live on the planet, but people thinking about living here do need to hear honest assessments of it.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 PM

Here here Marlow!
I think you understood my point....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi