Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:24 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I really hope it doesn't happen. The biggest problem is that if they suddenly change a port of call on us (this cruise only features Bermuda and no place else since Bermuda is so isolated that far out into the Atlantic Ocean). If they cancel it then all the research we are doing on Bermuda and its attractions would be pointless and we would no nothing about the new port and what is interesting there. What's the usual alternative if a Bermuda stop is cancelled? Charleston or Savannah? I would assume the Bahamas is too far away.
My guess is that they will simply float around in the Atlantic away from the hurricane and be happy with the passengers pumping money in the slot machines and sucking down $10 tropical drinks.
You will probably get a discount for the next cruise, a reminder to look at the fine print about "weather and acts of God", and an apology over the intercom. So sorry, no port stop this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
My family is planning a cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore in late August with Royal Caribbean and I'm wondering about how it may impacted by the oil spill. I read that Bermuda is on the Gulf Stream (hence its tropical climate despite being the same latitude as North Carolina) so I'm concerned about how it will be affected by the oil. Bermuda also is very far offshore and they're predicting the oil may affect beaches on the Atlantic coast but still mention the Gulf Stream which goes to Bermuda.

I've heard that many cruise ships use treated seawater for the on-board water supply vs. filling up on water while in port. The cruise will go all the way down the coast from the Chesapeake Bay all the way to Bermuda (and the bay itself is polluted) so is there a risk of a cancellation if the water becomes untreatable?

Finally I've read that the Bermuda Triangle is not completely legend, but on the maps it only borders on one part of Bermuda. I wonder if anyone's gone to Bermuda before knows if the ships know to avoid certain areas, I read about some chemical substances in the ocean that can cause rogue waves, etc in that area.
Bermuda wont be affected by the Oil for a long time if ever.
That treated saltwater is only used for washing dishes and plumbing not for drinking. And it is treated so it is safe to drink, not reccomended but safe. Ships these days can make sewage into safe drinking water.
Dont worry about the Bermuda Triangle, first none of the "weird" stuff has ever happened in Bermuda more off of Florida and Bahamas. Its hyped up stuff the area just has a large amount of boat and air traffic hence the reason there are more accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises