Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
When we first started cruising there was a dress code. On the last 2 cruises, no code and it was like dining in a sports bar. There was actually one guy wearing a "wife beater" underwear tank top and sandals. I doubt that he showered before dinner either. I like the formal nights. Although, we've quit cruising because we don't like those big ships. I'm betting that those posting here that don't like the formal dress code are under 60. Just a guess.
Don't suit cruising ,just choose different ships where you won't find the slobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
I am going to open up my own post and name it "why do people dress and act like rednecks on cruise ships."

have some self respect people and put on a nice pair of cloths when going to the formal dining room...ugh American's can be so childish sometimes. if you don't like it stick to the cafe with the rest of the bums.
You reactivated a thread from 2010 for that comment? You seriously have too much time on your hands.

But if you truly are/were a Navy Seal, thank you for your service. If not, shame on you for using that as your member name.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
I am going to open up my own post and name it "why do people dress and act like rednecks on cruise ships."

have some self respect people and put on a nice pair of cloths when going to the formal dining room...ugh American's can be so childish sometimes. if you don't like it stick to the cafe with the rest of the bums.
My what a bigoted statement that is and why open a thread that has been dead and buried? You could have just started a new one. If you don't like the dress code find another cruise line. But please don't put rednecks down. I can tell you, from cruising on many lines, living all over the country and traveling all over the world, I would rather know a redneck than a snob. No, I am not from AR. originally and I wasn't raised in a redneck background. My husband was. But as an adult his life was anything but redneck, but he still remembers his family background.

Oh, let me add, after years of wearing suits to work every day, he was thrilled when the dress code was relaxed some and no, we do not dress like slobs. We just prefer to leave the formal, after 5 clothes in the closet, collecting dust..

Old 10-26-2014, 06:41 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,713 times
This summer I was on a Carnival Cruise and I was appalled at the way some people dress when they come to dinner. Even on the formal nights some were in T-****s and jeans. I wore a suit and tie. Dinner is only a couple of hours. What the heck, you're on a cruise for gods sake, get properly dressed!

Carnival didn't enforce any dress code on the cruise I was on and I felt it detracted from the dining experience.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think its because more like it than do not like it. They basically for once in longtime want to attend a formal occasion. No one force anyone to attend tho I suspect except for wifes and consequences.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
We have sailed on P&O out of Europe or round the Caribbean.

The dress code is properly observed and I think that many enjoy the 'dressing up' part for the formal nights, which are twice a week.

Sailing out of our local port means that it's not an issue having to pack for formal as well as smart nights, though flying to the Caribbean having to take a dinner jacket (tuxedo) was a bit of a pain, but in fairness a suit would suffice for those evenings.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

The dress code is properly observed and I think that many enjoy the 'dressing up' part for the formal nights, which are twice a week.

Sailing out of our local port means that it's not an issue having to pack for formal as well as smart nights, though flying to the Caribbean having to take a dinner jacket (tuxedo) was a bit of a pain, but in fairness a suit would suffice for those evenings.
And so will a sports jacket, slacks and a tie.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

It is fine for those living near a port or driving but add the extra expense of luggage and the extra bother, many are quite satisfied with a little less formal wear. No one is suggesting people dress like slobs. Yes, I think we have all seen people come to dinner on formal nights dressed like they going to a cook out, we saw this on Princess once, but for the most part, there are ways to dress for dinner without wearing after 5 attire. For those who want to, fine, for those who want to go a little more casual, fine as well.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:24 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And so will a sports jacket, slacks and a tie.
The dress code for P&O for formal evenings is as stated here;

For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:10 PM

460 posts, read 779,111 times
Speaking for myself, and not yet having taken a cruise:

I find ties and shirts buttoned at the top button to be very uncomfortable. It doesn't quite feel like I'm being choked, but it isn't pleasant for me. Why would I want to be uncomfortable at dinner, while on vacation?

I can see something like a nice pair of slacks, a collared shirt and non-sneakers. I'd even go so far as a comfortable sport jacket. I understand that shorts and a T-shirt aren't always the most appropriate attire. But I don't see any reason to HAVE to wear a formal outfit to dinner on board a cruise if you don't want to, and one shouldn't be penalized for not wanting to get super dressed up while on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises