Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,863,778 times

Advertisements

Since retiring, we've taken a few cruises and enjoy them. We've never been to Hawaii, but, have heard it is beautiful and are hoping to make a 1-2 week trip in 2011.

Has anyone taken a Hawaiian cruise/trip (4-5 city/island day-stops) with a floating hotel ... and/or would you recommend a land-based vacation (and if so, where?) -- Thanks for your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM

298 posts, read 597,179 times
I retired about three years ago and, the first thing we done was go to Hawaii. We loved every minute of the trip except the flight which was way too long for me. We stayed at the Marriott (I Think) it was great. We should have stayed longer, we were there only six days and didn't get to visit any of the other islands but, I'm sure they are very beauty full. Since we didn't like the long flight I have since been wondering if there are any cruise lines that cruise from some where in California to Hawaii. It would probably be a long trip but, on a cruise ship I think I could get into that.

I think you will enjoy either way.

Have fun.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,131,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
I retired about three years ago and, the first thing we done was go to Hawaii. We loved every minute of the trip except the flight which was way too long for me. We stayed at the Marriott (I Think) it was great. We should have stayed longer, we were there only six days and didn't get to visit any of the other islands but, I'm sure they are very beauty full. Since we didn't like the long flight I have since been wondering if there are any cruise lines that cruise from some where in California to Hawaii. It would probably be a long trip but, on a cruise ship I think I could get into that.

I think you will enjoy either way.

Have fun.
Princess does a two-week, round-trip cruise from Long Beach that we did last January. I think Royal Caribbean does one out of San Diego. NCL does 7 day cruises that start and end in Hawaii. A couple of others do (or have done) repositioning cruises that start or end in Hawaii and finish (or start) somewhere else, I think typically in Seattle or Vancouver. The sea-days are wonderful but don't think 8 to 16 hours are enough time for any of the ports. The NCL trips overnight in Maui and stop in Hilo and Kona on the BI. All-in-all I think I would opt for the land vacation if I had to fly from the Midwest or East Coast to California anyway.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 PM

298 posts, read 597,179 times
Thanks Ghengis...your probably right about the 8...16 hour port stops...I sure would hate to have an engine room fire about half way to. Something tells me that would just mess up everything. I guess your right, take the flight and stay longer next time.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 PM

I've been lookiing at those 14-day round-trip cruises from Calif (San Diego/LA/other) to Hawaii and the Islands. It looks like they only have 4-days in Hawaii, with the rest of the trip 'at sea.' We enjoy shipboard life, but, could spend 7-14+ days aboard ship almost anywhere (eg; plenty of Caribbean cruises from Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale.

I guess I'm thinking about a shipboard experience that will get us more nights in Hawaii - Thanks for your input

Old 12-02-2010, 04:13 AM

20 posts, read 42,703 times
I would suggest to have Cruise in Hawaii. because it has different experience then land. YOu could be at beaches of other places. Cruise has one more vote than land.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Thanks for all of your input. At the moment, we are leaning toward flying to Honolulu and then taking a cruise ship which will give us about 10-days on different islands and ports. 2-days are allowed in the larger city, plus we will probably do 2-3 pre-cruise days in Honolulu --- and possibly post-cruise days elsewhere.

While we enjoy shipboard living, my problem with the round-trip Hawaiian cruises (San Diego, LA, Vancouver) is that a 14-day cruise, only provides 4 days in Hawaii. The other 10-days are 'at-sea' and one could as well be on a ship ... to anywhere.

Any thoughts on extending the Hawaiian cruise leg to include Tahiti??

Any suggestions on the best 'value'?
Thanks

Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,148,744 times
We recently got back from 2 weeks with a condo in Maui (Hoalani) luxurious and right on the ocean. Day trips to Honolulu, and Lanai....many sights to see with car rental only 3 miles from the condo. We had a very wonderful time.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,462,950 times
You might want to check out reviews on Hawaiian cruises at cruise critic- they don't get the best review.

I would really advise against a cruise. There is SO much to see and do in Hawaii and you really only wet your appetite with a cruise. Whenever a cruise ship boards, all of the restaurants in the port area are packed and really aren't that good. Then you have shuttle services from the cruise ship to either Walmart or Kmart. There are excursions for helicopter rides, boat trips, ziplining etc- but this isn't REALLY Hawaii.

You can do Hawaii inexpensively by staying in smaller condo complexes or off-brand hotels. You can rent a car by naming your own price or through various discount sites. Do 3 days in Oahu and 5 days in either Maui or Kauai and you won't regret it.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,708,117 times
Agree /\ /\ /\
The cruise gives such small amount of time at each priot that you end up doing what you can in the time you have. That means passing up great places and things to do the close by things. The cruise ship experince is good because you don;t have to travel and unpack often, but Hawaii has so much in so many places that the time you have free to explore isn;t enough to even see or do a fraction thats on most people's must see & do list. But if you want the Commerical Tourist Hawaii Show, a cruise is alright. If you want to relax and see what Hawaii is all about, do your own trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises