Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times

Advertisements

After that, when they saw me enter the dining area, they fled ! But the immediate reaction was to leave.

There was a young boy, around 7/8 whose parents permitted him to race with another boy around the dining area, even to the point of running around our table, hanging onto the backs of our chairs. Mother ignored, Father once got up and took him quietly back to their table. When we left the dining area, I made a comment to the mother that it seemed only "Daddy" cared to control the boy and what a shame wasn't capable. They also raced out when seeing me the rest of the cruise.

My anger was not with those parents alone - it was also with the staff who did nothing. I realize staff is told to make passengers comfortable - but in making life for the parents of screaming children comfortable, some of us were forced to suffer bad parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM

521 posts, read 860,393 times
Have you ever thought that the "bad" parents are on vacation too?

No one likes screaming kids but it's a big boat; you could have easily went elsewhere. Should you have to go somewhere else? Of course not but the point is, why put up with it then eventually approach people on a high horse about parenting when they spent the same amount you did (probably more with more butts to fit in a room) to enjoy the same space you are?

Pay for the entire boat if you want complete peace and quiet or realize that there are seven billion people on this Earth and, guess what, some kids cry and scream and their parents won't do anything about it. Oh yeah, kids just happen to get excited and like to have fun on cruises, too.

That's just life and hardly a ridiculous occurance on a cruise ship. Hell, that's a regular occurance at most restaurants.

Never ceases to amaze me how people will continually do something and complain about it instead of avoiding it or changing their routine. That is the definition of crazy but, hey, tourists are like that.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,592,557 times
Just returned from the Carnival Victory. While the cruise itself was fine, the ports were great, etc, I felt like we were cruising with the people of Walmart. You know those emails that go around? We honestly could have started our own People of Carnival. All I can say is Wow! Have to say the food was horrible! Buffet was especially bad. But I do think it's one of those things that has gone downhill due to the economy and cruise lines trying to cut back. Did I starve? No, but it was the first cruise that I've ever lost weight!

I will stick up for NY Annie on this one too. Children should not be allowed to run around and disturb the entire dining room. Yes, "bad" parents are on vacation too, but that doesn't make it right. I've been know to speak up to parents who have children out of control and they always seem so shocked to hear their little darlings are bothering somebody else.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
After that, when they saw me enter the dining area, they fled ! But the immediate reaction was to leave.

There was a young boy, around 7/8 whose parents permitted him to race with another boy around the dining area, even to the point of running around our table, hanging onto the backs of our chairs. Mother ignored, Father once got up and took him quietly back to their table. When we left the dining area, I made a comment to the mother that it seemed only "Daddy" cared to control the boy and what a shame wasn't capable. They also raced out when seeing me the rest of the cruise.

My anger was not with those parents alone - it was also with the staff who did nothing. I realize staff is told to make passengers comfortable - but in making life for the parents of screaming children comfortable, some of us were forced to suffer bad parenting.
I would have complained to the crew about this ... If the parents cannot control their children, then somebody needs to set some boundaries as other cruisers paid good money for their cruising experience and should not have to have their experience ruined by bratty, undisciplined children.

Off topic but I was waiting for a commuter rail at a shared Amtrak/Metrolink station where it appeared to be a class group of children waiting for an Amtrak. Children were running back and forth over the tracks and just getting too close. I found one of the adults and advised them that a Metrolink train will be passing through in the next 6 minutes so she needs to get the children under control ASAP. I did not wish any harm to these children and surely did not wish for any delays in getting home due to avoidable accidents caused by lack of proper supervision. Fortunately, she took heed and the children were taken away from the tracks. Had she not, it could have been tragic.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post

No one likes screaming kids but it's a big boat; you could have easily went elsewhere. Should you have to go somewhere else? Of course not but the point is, why put up with it then eventually approach people on a high horse about parenting when they spent the same amount you did (probably more with more butts to fit in a room) to enjoy the same space you are?

Pay for the entire boat if you want complete peace and quiet or realize that there are seven billion people on this Earth and, guess what, some kids cry and scream and their parents won't do anything about it. Oh yeah, kids just happen to get excited and like to have fun on cruises, too.

That's just life and hardly a ridiculous occurance on a cruise ship. Hell, that's a regular occurance at most restaurants.

Never ceases to amaze me how people will continually do something and complain about it instead of avoiding it or changing their routine. That is the definition of crazy but, hey, tourists are like that.
Um ... If you are dining at a restaurant, should you have to walk out and leave if children were running around the entire dining room as the poster indicated? It's really sad when some parents only think of themselves and their bratty kids enjoyment and not be considerate of those around them. A dining room is an enclosed area and having a bunch of screaming kids running around could cause people's food or drinks to fall or other accidents. Yes, the cruise ship is big but it is totally selfish of parents to not control their children. There is no reason why any child should be running around a restaurant and that needs to be addressed by crew members if the parents aren't doing their jobs. Besides, parenting is a 24/7 job - there are no vacations as you are responsible for your child.

Last edited by Chatteress; 05-25-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
On the cruises I take, mostly, there are very few children so it tends not to be a problem.

But the stories above remind me of when we took our grandson to Club Med. It was a club that catered for children of all age groups and there were a lot of kids there. We knew that which is why we chose it. But, we were very impressed to find that Club Med had an adults only swimming pool, an adults only room in the main restaurant and an adults only separate restaurant. They also had a kids only dining room. And the staff policed these arrangements extremely well and very firmly. So, when our grandson was off doing supervised activities with other kids (and Club Med also does this very well), we could enjoy a child-free afternoon.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Have you ever been the witness of a ridiculous occurrence on a cruise?

For example, people showing up to the captain's dinner in their pajamas? People falling over drunk? People who can't keep their kids under control?

Tell your stories here!
I could probably think of a dozen or more, but a couple stick out in my mind:

the guy that showed up for dinner on formal night wearing a pair or pants held up with a rope for a belt

the couple who decided, as long as robes were furnished for them in the cabin they could wear them to the breakfast buffet

the gal who wore her robe and slippers to get her hair fixed

and so many more, most of them dealing with dressing.

Nita

Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I could probably think of a dozen or more, but a couple stick out in my mind:

the guy that showed up for dinner on formal night wearing a pair or pants held up with a rope for a belt

the couple who decided, as long as robes were furnished for them in the cabin they could wear them to the breakfast buffet

the gal who wore her robe and slippers to get her hair fixed

and so many more, most of them dealing with dressing.

Nita
I'd be so embarrassed wearing a robe/night clothes in public on a cruise (or anywhere in public)

Old 05-26-2012, 01:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post

Being "bad" parents on vacation doesn't absolve them from their responsibilities as parents. Personally, I think it's a great place and opportunity to teach children proper table manners for a high end restaurant (like lower end restaurant diners want to put up with bratty children?).

Problem is, those bad parents are thinking more about what is good for them, and not their children. If the children are causing a problem ... they need to get their butts up out of their chairs and take them out of the dining room. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that they are even aware that their children are causing a problem.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
I would never "have went" elsewhere although we did not have a relaxing meal and changed our time and location to avoid them. Is the money they pay for their cruise better than mine? BTW, those children were travelling FREE.

So according to you, Skiscree, everyone else should be prepared to move out of their way? let the children rule so the poor parents get a vacation. My vacation takes a backseat to the vacation of irresponsible parents? Next cruise, I assure you, I will not cruise on the line again - or any other where children are free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises