Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
My sister and I traveled from New York City to Nova Scotia in 2005, via Carnival Cruise. I was happy with the accommodations, because we had a patio, but I absolutely hated the food. Interestingly, I had imagined prior to booking the cruise that the food would be the best part, since it was all you can eat and included round the clock room service options. But it turned out that much of the food offered was loaded with salt, sugar and gmo's. I try to eat healthy so I ended up having very limited options.
Just have to ask out of curiosity - how do you know that the food was "loaded with gmo's"? Was the scientific DNA testing attached to the buffet vegies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 11:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
My sister and I traveled from New York City to Nova Scotia in 2005, via Carnival Cruise. I was happy with the accommodations, because we had a patio, but I absolutely hated the food. Interestingly, I had imagined prior to booking the cruise that the food would be the best part, since it was all you can eat and included round the clock room service options. But it turned out that much of the food offered was loaded with salt, sugar and gmo's. I try to eat healthy so I ended up having very limited options.
Of course it is filled with carbs and spices, including a lot of sodium, but it is possible to eat healthy. Most cruise lines have healthy choices available in the MDRs. You can pick and choose at the buffets as well, eating fish or chicken and salads plus veggies and fresh fruit. The quality of food on cruise lines has gone down over the years for many reasons: keeping the cost of cruising down, appealing to a new market, not just the upper end cruisers and the over all cost of food, plus the size of ships. Trying to cook for 2000 to 6000 people isn't conducive to healthy or gourmet meals. This is why the average person gains 5 or more lbs on a cruise. Most, I am sure lose it within a few weeks of returning home. I can not imagine why anyone can not find enough healthy foods on a ship. Heck they even provide Kosher meals, and meals for special diets, but for those like you; probably you would do better spending the extra money for an upscale, small ship. They are noted for outstanding food. Or you can pick and choose what you want to eat and if you do feel you have over indulged jog around the ship a couple times a day or spend time in the spa area.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM

112 posts, read 131,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Just have to ask out of curiosity - how do you know that the food was "loaded with gmo's"? Was the scientific DNA testing attached to the buffet vegies?
Overall, the food was low quality, certainly not organic. Unfortunately, many non organic common food products contain GMOs.

Quote:
According to the Organic Consumers Association, 40 percent of all U.S. crops are GMO, and 80 percent of processed foods contain GMOs. GMO crops are also used as a cheap and fattening feed for factory-farmed animals, which are also often injected with genetically engineered hormones. The USDA reports that 88 percent of corn and 93 percent of soybeans are GMOs, as are 90 percent of cotton and canola.
List of Foods Containing GMOs | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 PM

112 posts, read 131,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course it is filled with carbs and spices, including a lot of sodium, but it is possible to eat healthy. Most cruise lines have healthy choices available in the MDRs.
If it's filled with sodium, then it's not healthy. I try not to consume more than 1100 mg of sodium per day. Also, I can't comment on most cruise lines (since I only traveled w/ Carnival). Unfortunately, they did not have a lot of healthy selections to choose from.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Because people who care about what they eat know what foods are GMO unless they are stated otherwise, and I can guarantee that Carnival isn't going through the expense of procuring non-GMO food.

Almost every food commercially available in the United States is GMO or contains GMO ingredients, unless specifically labeled otherwise or USDA organic. That includes everything from butter to beef, corn to chicken, and sugar to squash.

You might want to educate yourself some about what you eat, you will most likely be surprised and sicked by what you learn.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
If it's filled with sodium, then it's not healthy. I try not to consume more than 1100 mg of sodium per day. Also, I can't comment on most cruise lines (since I only traveled w/ Carnival). Unfortunately, they did not have a lot of healthy selections to choose from.
Try cruising a small luxury line in Europe that provisions European foods (non-GMO). Another option is a luxury line that provisions from New Zealand/Australia (again non-GMO).

Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
So, what was the last cruise ship that you have sailed on when you were traveling? What was that like?
The only cruise line I have been on is Seabourne. It's a very high-end cruise line. I liked it a lot because it was a very small ship (only 250 guests aboard), and virtually no kids. There was a lot of "bells and whistles" missing, but I prefer just to hang out and relax. The food was good and the ports of call were interesting. I would recommend them if you like a very laid-back atmosphere and have plenty of money to spend.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-15-2014, 01:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
that is why I suggested you try a luxury line or a river cruise. Most mass marketed lines know what the public wants and they try to serve those foods. As I mentioned you can always get a good salad, fresh vegetables and or the healthy choice foods on any cruise line. IF you chose the healthy choice it even lists the sodium content. Of course you will not have a large selection, but you can eat relatively healthy. It is like going to a restaurant, most do not offer a lot of truly healthy choices unless that is their specialty and those are few and far between. Many of us try and eat healthy, we have cut back on red meats, sodium, trans fats, etc but we also enjoy a little cheat now and again. Vacation is for fun, part of the fun for many is eating foods they do not eat at home.

You mentioned you were looking forward to good food on the cruise because you had heard you could eat 24 hours a day with lots of choices. Did you take that as meaning there would be a lot of healthy foods? I don't think that would have entered my mind.

I think it is a no brainer, you can have a great cruise experience, but you are going to have to choose an upscale cruise line and probably one that has only a few hundred passengers. or you can decide the best vacation for you is a resort. I don't know of many resorts though, that can accommodate people who are looking for nothing but healthy foods.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:36 PM

There's more to eating healthy than sodium counts. Knowing what chemicals are in your foods is equally--if not even more important. Unless it's organic, it's actually not all that healthy.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:39 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Overall, the food was low quality, certainly not organic. Unfortunately, many non organic common food products contain GMOs.
Truthfully, with the organic and non-GMO requirement, you're not going to be happy on ANY cruise ship, or any place else that makes food in mass quantities. You should count yourself lucky that you live in a time where you can find restaurants that cater to these requirements. Fifteen years ago, you would have been out of luck.

People need to do their own homework when they select vacations. It's unreasonable to expect mass produced food to be prepared with such stringent requirements ESPECIALLY considering the low price point. And to judge the cruise as bad on that specific issue simply shows your lack of understanding of the product you purchased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises