Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Backpacking isn't just for kids.
It's still how the husband and I (50-somethings) like to travel Europe or anywhere else.
Maybe I should start a thread about that.

The thing is, I do understand that different folks have different travel needs at different times of their lives. I don't think a dogmatic approach to travel does a person all that much good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM

474 posts, read 1,455,042 times
"I don't think a dogmatic approach to travel does a person all that much good."

Well said good sir or madam.

It is pretty clear, however, that there is some heavy and perhaps justified resentment for a lot of the collateral damage that cruising can inflict, and it's a shame that most folks on the cruises don't recognize it.

My one cruise experience confirmed my biased thoughts, and made me not want to ever do it again.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,178,594 times
Cruising is obviously not for everyone.
Nor is the industry perfect. What industry is?? People will complain about any and everything.

If you truly dislike the industry or parts of it then do something and stop abusing others. That is not helping , that is being obnoxious.

I enjoy cruises because they are relaxing and basically mindless.
No they are not the best way to really see places because of the limited time among other things.

I have used cruises to find out where I would like to go and explore further.

I do not understand the need some people have to be "unkind" and judgemental to those who enjoy cruises.
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Of course you have know way of knowing whether some of us are "doing something about it" or not.

Believe me, there is plenty of community involvement among those of us who will not go quietly into the night while the cruise ship industry nips ever more incessantly at our heels.

Look at Petersburg. Wonderful show of integrity among the community there.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Yes, more and more people are cruising than ever before but still the majority of people have not gone on a cruise. I wonder why. If you go on a low priced cruise that is on sale you can take a week long vacation for under $800 a week. It includes all the food you can eat that tastes pretty good and some great entertainment and many interesting ports of call.

If you have not been on a cruise, why not?
My only reason for not going on a cruise is simple: I am a college student with no money. Other than that, I would love to go on a cruise to Norway or Alaska.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
Cruising is obviously not for everyone.
Nor is the industry perfect. What industry is?? People will complain about any and everything.

If you truly dislike the industry or parts of it then do something and stop abusing others. That is not helping , that is being obnoxious.

I enjoy cruises because they are relaxing and basically mindless.
No they are not the best way to really see places because of the limited time among other things.

I have used cruises to find out where I would like to go and explore further.

I do not understand the need some people have to be "unkind" and judgemental to those who enjoy cruises.
Different strokes for different folks.
Well said Goddess. Your right---My GRACIOUS. What a lot of hostility. I dont think anyone on here said its the only vacation worthwhile or the only one to take. Its an option and often works out great for people (like us, we knew which island to return for our hawaian vacation the next year. ) and many enjoy their trips hence the growing size of its popularity. The mantra of this forum is "different strokes for different folks'. Generalizations to this extreme of who cruises and why are rather pointless.

Last edited by nanannie; 01-08-2008 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,042 times
Default Pointless?

"Generalizations to this extreme of who cruises and why are rather pointless."

I disagree. The name of the topic is "why haven't more people gone on cruises," and I think you've seen a pretty clear indication from posters as to why they do or don't like them.

Some of it has devolved into a discussion of the ills of the industry, but there is some good info here.

Good for: relaxation, planned for you, large family trips, kids, folks with mobility issues, all-inclusiveness, a 'sampling' of a culture/locale

Not good for: folks who like to do their own planning, spontenaity, immersion in a culture/locale

I don't think that's judgemental at all... I think that's accurate. Of course folks chime in as to what they like and don't like... that's why we have forums

Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 PM

425 posts, read 1,104,617 times
Default Cruising

We went on our frist cruise{DH}first , my second last sept. we had a blast and my husband loved it,we met some wonderful friends and , we didnt use the dining room and sorta did what we wanted, had a balcony which was awesome.
we have another scheduled for this sept, but my boss , who was a cruise king himself,dropped dead of a heart attack at 49 years old. at the wake his wife said we had to promise to go on this cruise for Toms sake{my boss} because he lovvvvved to cruise. but dont know as I will have a job to pay for it by then.
will take it a day at a time.but would love to honor him in this way, with friends, fun and a few foo foo drinks in the hot tub
happy travels to all, where ever you may roam

Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Well said Goddess. Your right---My GRACIOUS. What a lot of hostility. I dont think anyone on here said its the only vacation worthwhile or the only one to take. Its an option and often works out great for people (like us, we knew which island to return for our hawaian vacation the next year. ) and many enjoy their trips hence the growing size of its popularity. The mantra of this forum is "different strokes for different folks'. Generalizations to this extreme of who cruises and why are rather pointless.
Sorry, but when an industry directly impacts one's community, they have every right to an opinion on it. Those of you who who have never resided in port cities really have little clue on this.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
I don't think that's devolving at all. I thought my original point was one that bears saying, again and again, until it finally gets through. I also don't feel that I'm being hostile.
Truthfully, I am less worried about individuals and more worried about what the industry is doing to my home. I honestly believe that most people would not go on cruises if they really realized how unethical and destructive the industry is. That's all I'm saying.
Carry on-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises