Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:51 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Cruising on popular lines like CCL and RCL is nowhere as unpleasant an experience as you want to believe. You can't argue with reality if you are a sane person.
Ah, but I'm sure she doesn't believe it. As someone else pointed out, she just tries to belittle others who cruise on those lines. Ironically, all she has accomplished is to make herself seem small and petty by comparison. And in the interest of full disclosure, let me state that I just this morning debarked from a Royal Caribbean Cruise and I'm writing this post from the Sydney airport. The only complaint I have about the cruise is that they never once served any mac and cheese in the Dining room! I would have loved some at lunch one day. Had to settle for vegamite at breakast, crocodile for lunch, and kangaroo steaks at dinner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:38 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I hope no Negative Nellie goes on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. It's horrible, lol. They wouldn't enjoy it because it would be hard work finding enough to criticize.

We never wanted to leave. We wanted to live on it. The food was very good, the ship was beautiful and clean, the staff was amazing, friendly, fun, and always at your service. No screaming kids--although there were two adorable little girls who became best friends and kept hugging each other. Turned out they spoke different languages so they couldn't understand a word the other one said--but they were the same age and they both liked dancing while the rest of us cheered them on. Priceless.

I didn't see anyone vomit--although I kept an eye out due to what I had read on Cruise Critic. No finger prints on the stainless steel either and the bathrooms were spotless. I kept looking for some dust or dirt but never did find any.

Most of the passengers were really nice and I had some interesting discussions with perfect strangers. That was part of the fun. We ate at our own private table just in case we might get stuck with some people we didn't like but everyone seemed pleasant. People were in a good mood and we would end up laughing and joking spontaneously with total strangers. Everyone was having fun. Don't go on Enchantment of the Seas, it's much too difficult to find anything wrong.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I hope no Negative Nellie goes on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. It's horrible, lol. They wouldn't enjoy it because it would be hard work finding enough to criticize.

We never wanted to leave. We wanted to live on it. The food was very good, the ship was beautiful and clean, the staff was amazing, friendly, fun, and always at your service. No screaming kids--although there were two adorable little girls who became best friends and kept hugging each other. Turned out they spoke different languages so they couldn't understand a word the other one said--but they were the same age and they both liked dancing while the rest of us cheered them on. Priceless.

I didn't see anyone vomit--although I kept an eye out due to what I had read on Cruise Critic. No finger prints on the stainless steel either and the bathrooms were spotless. I kept looking for some dust or dirt but never did find any.

Most of the passengers were really nice and I had some interesting discussions with perfect strangers. That was part of the fun. We ate at our own private table just in case we might get stuck with some people we didn't like but everyone seemed pleasant. People were in a good mood and we would end up laughing and joking spontaneously with total strangers. Everyone was having fun. Don't go on Enchantment of the Seas, it's much too difficult to find anything wrong.
Yep, that is how most cruises are, even for those of us who can't afford to cruise on the luxury lines or prefer to cruise on the mass marketed lines. I am so glad you found cruising, it can be very addictive but so much fun.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I'm going on the Vision of the Seas for 26 days Oct. 19 - Nov. 14, and I can't wait! Med plus a transatlantic to Tampa. I don't mind a smaller ship by today's standards and she was refurbished, pics look great.

I joined the M & G on Cruise Critic because I travel alone, nice to touch base with people. I will go to some activities depending on how the group is, some are better than others!

I do fine traveling alone, which is why I like cruises. Once I tried my first one at 35 in 1982, I realized ideal way to go for me. I can be with people for dinner, go on tours, but be by myself, too.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:31 AM

118 posts, read 157,408 times
I find cruising a relaxing and very cost effective vacation.

It is a great way to see the world, I've been to every continent. Last year went to India via Dubai, a wonderful experience. I had to get the visa for India but then the cruise line did all of the processing of the paperwork. This was true in Cambodia, Viet Nam, Brazil and everywhere. Very convenient to be asleep when your passport is being stamped, rather than standing in line at customs.

As for the Cruise Critic Roll Calls, some are active and fantastic and some are dead. Oh Well! I'm perfectly capable of entertaining myself but if an active roll call, I love meeting new friends! On roll calls we have organized some shore tours that were very extensive (over night in Cairo, Egypt) that saw more sights, included more experiences & cost a fraction of what the cruise line was charging. Also you are on a small van of 12 or 15 people with personal access to the guide. The cruise line tours on busses of 40-50 passengers can only go as fast as the slowest person, so you can't make the most of your time in a foreign port.

In general I love the cruise ship life, food & entertainment but there have been exceptions. With a bad meal you just order something else, I couldn't do that last week in a restaurant where I was paying.. DANG!

I have learned so much from cruise critic and have had so many unforgettable experiences all over the world. I'm a lucky girl.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post

It is a great way to see the world, I've been to every continent. Last year went to India via Dubai, a wonderful experience. I had to get the visa for India but then the cruise line did all of the processing of the paperwork. This was true in Cambodia, Viet Nam, Brazil and everywhere. Very convenient to be asleep when your passport is being stamped, rather than standing in line at customs.

As for the Cruise Critic Roll Calls, some are active and fantastic and some are dead. Oh Well! I'm perfectly capable of entertaining myself but if an active roll call, I love meeting new friends! On roll calls we have organized some shore tours that were very extensive (over night in Cairo, Egypt) that saw more sights, included more experiences & cost a fraction of what the cruise line was charging. Also you are on a small van of 12 or 15 people with personal access to the guide. The cruise line tours on busses of 40-50 passengers can only go as fast as the slowest person, so you can't make the most of your time in a foreign port.

In general I love the cruise ship life, food & entertainment but there have been exceptions. With a bad meal you just order something else, I couldn't do that last week in a restaurant where I was paying.. DANG!

I have learned so much from cruise critic and have had so many unforgettable experiences all over the world. I'm a lucky girl.
We have made lasting friends from cruise critic, and the Meet and Greets on the ship. We just got back from a 10 day cruise and our M&G was very well attended. About 20 of us did a tour in St Kitts and we had other activities throughtout the cruise. The one you mention, overnight in Egypt, our kids did a similar one about 5 years ago with their Roll Call group.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post

I agree...I have read some review of people just slamming a ship ie... there was no basketball net...the shrimp were too small...I didn't get any freeebies in my bathroom..the kids were bored in Camp Carnival..there was iceberg lettuce on the salad bar...(HONEST... just read that one!) Some people are always going to complain....I am not one of them...

Old 04-20-2015, 12:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post

I agree...I have read some review of people just slamming a ship ie... there was no basketball net...the shrimp were too small...I didn't get any freeebies in my bathroom..the kids were bored in Camp Carnival..there was iceberg lettuce on the salad bar...(HONEST... just read that one!) Some people are always going to complain....I am not one of them...
I expect basic amenities in the bathroom--at least moderate quality soap, shampoo, conditioner, hand cream, cotton swabs. If there is only iceburg I'm not going to be happy, but if there is ice berg, Romaine, psinach, spring mix, etc. the who cares?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I expect basic amenities in the bathroom--at least moderate quality soap, shampoo, conditioner, hand cream, cotton swabs. If there is only iceburg I'm not going to be happy, but if there is ice berg, Romaine, spinach, spring mix, etc. the who cares?
1. Don't most people bring their own personal toiletries?
2. What are you? A lettuce snob?

Old 04-21-2015, 07:47 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I expect basic amenities in the bathroom--at least moderate quality soap, shampoo, conditioner, hand cream, cotton swabs. If there is only iceburg I'm not going to be happy, but if there is ice berg, Romaine, psinach, spring mix, etc. the who cares?
On our first cruise, they had a small tube of Arm and Hammer toothpaste and those nose strips....the second and third nothing...but they have the shampoo and shower gel in the showers...I bring my own stuff but usually use the shower stuff..less I have to pack!!! I think someone was complaining about the Bleu cheese lettuce wedge at dinner...big deal..then don't get it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises