Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
On our first cruise, they had a small tube of Arm and Hammer toothpaste and those nose strips....the second and third nothing...but they have the shampoo and shower gel in the showers...I bring my own stuff but usually use the shower stuff..less I have to pack!!! I think someone was complaining about the Bleu cheese lettuce wedge at dinner...big deal..then don't get it!!!
I am guessing if someone complained about a lettuce wedge with blue cheese dressing they don't know much about qualtiy dining. That happens to be one of the latest salads. I am a huge lover of blue cheese, but have never been on a cruise ship that did it right. Still the wedge is popular and the person who griped, like many of the examples you give should find another type of vacation. I do keep a cosmetic bag filled with everything I need just for vacations and it is always ready to gok, but when it comes to shampoo and soap, we use whatever is offered via the ship. I don't use top of the line at home, so why would I expect the ship to furnish me with the best? There are just too many people who expect perfection and if they do not get it they throw a fit. I am just thankful I can still travel and don't have time to waste seeking the negatives nor do I think I deserve the best. For those who can afford luxury good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 03:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,827,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am guessing if someone complained about a lettuce wedge with blue cheese dressing they don't know much about qualtiy dining. That happens to be one of the latest salads. I am a huge lover of blue cheese, but have never been on a cruise ship that did it right. Still the wedge is popular and the person who griped, like many of the examples you give should find another type of vacation. I do keep a cosmetic bag filled with everything I need just for vacations and it is always ready to gok, but when it comes to shampoo and soap, we use whatever is offered via the ship. I don't use top of the line at home, so why would I expect the ship to furnish me with the best? There are just too many people who expect perfection and if they do not get it they throw a fit. I am just thankful I can still travel and don't have time to waste seeking the negatives nor do I think I deserve the best. For those who can afford luxury good for them.
I'll eat it every time!!!!!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. Don't most people bring their own personal toiletries?
2. What are you? A lettuce snob?
I don't care to fill my bag with soap, shampoo, conditioner and hand cream and expect something at least reasonably good in quality to be provided. If I am renting a flat I bring my own, and expect to do so in that case.

Not a lettuce snob, but iceberg is cheap, non-nutritional crap and anyplace outside of McDonalds and Taco Bell will serve what are actually dark leafy greens.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
On our first cruise, they had a small tube of Arm and Hammer toothpaste and those nose strips....the second and third nothing...but they have the shampoo and shower gel in the showers...I bring my own stuff but usually use the shower stuff..less I have to pack!!! I think someone was complaining about the Bleu cheese lettuce wedge at dinner...big deal..then don't get it!!!
Those are weird toiletries and I'm not sure why nasal strips would be included. I'm picky about toothpaste and that's one thing I always bring along unless I'm going to a place where I KNOW I can get one of the brands I like. (USA, Canada, London, that's about it.)

Agree, if you don't like iceberg (I don't) then don't order it. That said, there should be another salad selection with greens that actually have nutritional content.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do use high end toiletries at home, and only one of the lines I've sailed didn't offer something similar, so I've used theirs. The one that didn't (Royal Caribbean) I brought my own.

I wouldn't call iceberg with Bleu Cheese quality dining--other than one of the chain steakhouses (Flemings?) I haven't seen it on any menus in the past couple of years, so I'm not sure what you mean about it being one of the latest salads. It's actually a rather dated item as there is no nutritional value to ice berg and Bleu Cheese dressing is full of fat and nothing else--and the dining public knows it and is much more focused on maximizing taste AND nutrition these days.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,934,339 times
One of the things I have learned from Cruise Critic is that there are people who are extraordinarily finicky and who will complain about the slightest thing.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I wouldn't call iceberg with Bleu Cheese quality dining--other than one of the chain steakhouses (Flemings?) I haven't seen it on any menus in the past couple of years, so I'm not sure what you mean about it being one of the latest salads. It's actually a rather dated item as there is no nutritional value to ice berg and Bleu Cheese dressing is full of fat and nothing else--and the dining public knows it and is much more focused on maximizing taste AND nutrition these days.
Not to be a dead horse, but top restaurants in NY offer iceberg/wedge salads. Places such as Delmonico's, Peter Luger's and even Capital Grille. It's usually paired with beef.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not to be a dead horse, but top restaurants in NY offer iceberg/wedge salads. Places such as Delmonico's, Peter Luger's and even Capital Grille. It's usually paired with beef.
yes, you are right. Though for many this isn't exactly a gourmet type of salad, it is very popular and very trendy right now.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
One of the things I have learned from Cruise Critic is that there are people who are extraordinarily finicky and who will complain about the slightest thing.
This is what makes it so much fun to read, but most of us do get good information from the site as well. Yes, some people don't know the word: positive. if they don't have something negative to say, they prefer to say nothing.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:55 PM

14,330 posts, read 14,635,457 times
Cruise websites as other travel sites are a wealth of information (just like C-D, in fact) but you have to read everything and take the good with the bad. It is people giving their opinion (again, like on here) and you are certainly going to get a variety. As they always say, everyone has one and some are just stronger by nature in the way they present it. They are not right by any means, but will try to convince you they are, no matter what the subject, even lettuce!

I post there and being a perpetual glass half full person, don't remember saying something negative, ever, just not me.

I'm at CC quite a bit as I have a long cruise (25 days) planned for Oct., and another one for April, 2016 also 25 days. At this stage of my life, I'm cruising for itinerary so the ship is more or less secondary. Princess and Royal Caribbean are my cruise lines of choice as they suit me best and I've sailed with them the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises