Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:00 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times

Advertisements

We just returned from a cruise. Our cabin’s bathroom had a toilet brush. My DH believes, as a paying guest, one should NOT use the toilet brush and its there for housekeeping to use. I believe its a courtesy to leave a clean bowl for the next user. His contention is that the room is cleaned 2x daily and it will be handled by housekeeping staff.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 AM

3,076 posts, read 1,683,929 times
I think he could be right. For what people pay for cruises, I choose to believe that cleaning staff takes care of that before the next guest. But.....

It is a cruise ship, after all, and perhaps brushes are supplied in case people get seasick or get the poops.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We just returned from a cruise. Our cabin’s bathroom had a toilet brush. My DH believes, as a paying guest, one should NOT use the toilet brush and its there for housekeeping to use. I believe its a courtesy to leave a clean bowl for the next user. His contention is that the room is cleaned 2x daily and it will be handled by housekeeping staff.

What do you think?
Cruise ships have international guests and in many countries, a toilet brush next to a toilet is as normal as toilet paper. People expect it. Even public toilets have toilet brushes.

Furthermore, the power of the flush and the amount of water in the toilet may be not used to what you have at home. Additional help may be more needed.

Is it just for housekeeping? No. It's to enable you to clean the bowl as needed so the next person using it is presented with a clean toilet.

It's pretty obvious that this question is less about the brush and more about his lack of willingness to clean the toilet after messing it up. Perhaps that question is best asked in the relationship forum.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Cruise ships have international guests and in many countries, a toilet brush next to a toilet is as normal as toilet paper. People expect it. Even public toilets have toilet brushes.
This. IIRC, it's a German thing among other places. I've seen hotel reviews from Germans complaining that their room's bathroom did not have a proper brush.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:35 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post

What do you think?

You're on vacation! Cruise staff takes care of all cleaning....

Old 02-27-2018, 01:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
... So, you are suggesting that a member of the cruise ship staff should follow each guest around with a toilet brush and clean-up after them immediately whenever they use the bowl, so it is sparkling clean for the next user??

This is a self-entitled, inane issue to began with --- Nobody is telling any paying guest they have to clean the bathroom or the toilet -- The brush is simply there for convenience. (Heaven forbid, one should run out of toilet paper and then face the ignominious task of reaching under the sink for another roll!)

Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,072 times
I had always thought my wife requested it so I could clean things up if necessary. Whew, sounds like everybody gets them! I feel better now.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
oh. that was to clean the toilet? I thought it was to encourage the saving of toilet paper, it was quite uncomfortable to use.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:51 PM

26 posts, read 23,577 times
I do not spend valuable cruise time cleaning the toilet.
It is there for the cleaning staff to use. It is much more sanitary and convenient for each cabin to have it’s own brush, rather than the cabin attendant carry a brush that’s used in multiple cabins.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:01 AM

58 posts, read 52,243 times
I'll give the toilet a quick cleaning as a courtesy to my cabin mate or room steward. Takes just a few seconds and it's nice to be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises