Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So if the athletes aren't getting it, the fat cat owner just gets more, who isn't contributing anything and isn't risking his body - how is that better?

You really don't think the owner has anything on the line when they bought and own a team?!?!?!? Wow, ever owned your own business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Also, it's curious how "big sports" and its overpaid athletes aren't viewed with the same animosity as "big business."

Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,777 times
I have no problem with athletes or any other celebrity cashing in on their talents. They are not paying themselves, tons of revenue is being generated because people want to see them. Just in television rights alone Leagues are BILLIONS..with a B! Just to show games on tv. So why shouldn't athletes get some of that money? Doctors, teachers and firefighters don't get paid as much, because people are not paying them to watch them do their job. As long as these sports keep generating billions of dollars, the athletes should get as much as they can according to the market.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Are you just now figuring this out? I've have been saying this for about 30 years now.
I'm with you on that, and ticket prices have gotten to the point where it's no longer an affordable outing to go to a professional sporting event. The costs are outrageous. I refuse to set foot inside Jerry World, a.k.a. Cowboys Stadium, a.k.a. AT&T whatever they're calling it now. I also refuse to set foot inside the Ballpark at Arlington. I have been to a few Rangers games in the past and just didn't enjoy the experience of paying so much to sit in a tiny uncomfortable seat with overpriced food and drink and the stadium itself is filthy. The traffic is a nightmare.

I much prefer to watch these events in the comfort of my own home where I can pause the live action to pee or pop a bowl of popcorn. YMMV.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM

452 posts, read 709,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Ryan Braun... the biggest crook in sports history and he won't do a second in prison.

He cheated... lied about cheating... got caught cheating again... and all he loses is a couple million dollars in salary and he'll get to begin playing again next season... and he still has another 100+ million dollars to collect on his current contract.

Bravo......
Mmm hmm, EXACTLY!!

Not long ago, Pete Rose was stricken from the Baseball Hall of Fame for GAMBLING!

What does a gambling problem have to do with his incredible baseball record? Nothing.

I wonder why the big change in attitudes when it comes to these "talented" scumbags? Why scrap one talent for gambling when the new, improved likenesses are downright corrupt?

I quit watching professional sports in lieu for college sports, then I quit altogether and watch the PURE sports:

Pop Warner football, Pee Wee football (honesty and team building..the way it should be.)

Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
Yes, I used to enjoy watching most sports before the early to mid 1990s. Sports is now like politics, where I am tired of seeing and hearing about the same athletes and athletic teams over and over again. Then, after being inundated with their supposed athletic gifts and talents and abilities, we learn they were taking performance enhancing drugs.
But when Mark McGwire was breaking records, people loved it. When Lance Armstrong was winning every Tour de France, people loved it. I think it's a bit hypocritical for fans to clutch their pearls and cluck about performance-enhancing drugs when they were loving the results. And where do you draw the line? Is a Wimbledon champ getting cortisone shots in her shoulder a performance-enhancing drug or merely physical therapy?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So if the athletes aren't getting it, the fat cat owner just gets more, who isn't contributing anything and isn't risking his body - how is that better?
Lower ticket prices. As of now, ticket prices in many stadiums are too damn high for regular fans to attend.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 AM

560 posts, read 1,129,864 times
It IS ENTERTAINMENT. Never forget that.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
Everyone is arguing these top athletes bring in revenue, its justified, yada yada.

You do know if you lowered their salaries, the franchise could lower the cost of the games, and still get the same viewership, and probably more attendance to the games, (except for certain teams such as the NY Rangers that always have a sold out home game).

The salaries climbed and climbed and now the norm for these salaries is astronomical. If you told these superstars from here on out, we're only paying you $200,000, I assure you they will still continue to play, train, and push as much as they can. And if you're worried about intensity declining due to lower salary, make the trophy the team gets at the end of the season worth millions. Trust me, they won't stop doing what they love, and what they are good at. Ask anyone, a job in your sport you love, or a job in an office, and most people will take the sport.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Everyone is arguing these top athletes bring in revenue, its justified, yada yada.

You do know if you lowered their salaries, the franchise could lower the cost of the games, and still get the same viewership, and probably more attendance to the games, (except for certain teams such as the NY Rangers that always have a sold out home game).

The salaries climbed and climbed and now the norm for these salaries is astronomical. If you told these superstars from here on out, we're only paying you $200,000, I assure you they will still continue to play, train, and push as much as they can. And if you're worried about intensity declining due to lower salary, make the trophy the team gets at the end of the season worth millions. Trust me, they won't stop doing what they love, and what they are good at. Ask anyone, a job in your sport you love, or a job in an office, and most people will take the sport.

Ticket prices don't really impact the salaries players make, especially with leagues such as the NFL that have salary caps. The players salaries are paid mostly through television revenue and other revenue streams more so than ticket prices. Look at Baseball for example, people really are not going to the games as much as they used to in many cities, yet they still have the highest average salary of most professional players. And that is because Most Baseball teams get most of their money from Media Revenue. So even if Owners cut salaries, trust me they wouldn't cut ticket prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events