Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM

155 posts, read 310,797 times

Advertisements

With more news about athletes who use performance enhancing drugs to obtain their star status, and especially those athletes charged and found guilty of heinous crimes like murder, let's stop with the hero worship of these below average people.

Especially ordinary working men who can barely afford to take their kids to see a game and buy some hotdogs, why do you worship these guys because they can dribble a ball up and down a court?

It defies logic and women are supposed to be the emotional ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,592,578 times
I understand your point and don't really disagree, but a lot of sports fans do see the flaws in many athletes. However, they still appreciate the skill and talent they have to perform at a very high level. If you add to that the drama and excitement of sporting events, you end up with something people will pay to see.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Are you just now figuring this out? I've have been saying this for about 30 years now.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,713 times
People like to feel like they belong to something, they like competition, they like entertainment, and they like drama. They will pay to see this. If the athletes didn't get paid this much the owners would just be richer. It's a business and it makes a lot of people a lot of money and brings happiness to fans that care. It is annoying how much money they make, but movie stars are potentially even more annoying. It's the way our world works...find something that people will pay for.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM

I used to enjoy sporting events, but now in the back of my mind I am suspicious that athletes can only compete by taking performance enhancing drugs.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,928 times
High school students getting into prestigious universities with significantly lower academic qualifications than the non athletes bothers me more than pro athletes making $60M and taking drugs.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
High school students getting into prestigious universities with significantly lower academic qualifications than the non athletes bothers me more than pro athletes making $60M and taking drugs.
I agree.

How many of those athletes lose their scholarships due to poor acedemics? How much time do high school guidance counselors spend on helping average students get into college compared to semi-illiterate athletes?

The high school reunion myth is somewhat true, where the geeks and nerds in school have their revenge by being more successful over the long term than the athletes who usually peek in high school.

I saw the Disney movie "Miracle" more than a few times, and athletes like those portrayed in the movie, the hockey players who won a gold medal against the Russians, were fun to watch. I remember watching that Olympic game on tv. I don't think those athletes were taking performance enhancing drugs.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times
Don't like their pay and drug use? Don't buy tickets to their game nor any of the team merchandise. If you don't have a ratings box, go ahead and watch. You watching the game on tv isn't contributing to their profits unless they know you're watching.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 PM

802 posts, read 1,683,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
With more news about athletes who use performance enhancing drugs to obtain their star status, and especially those athletes charged and found guilty of heinous crimes like murder, let's stop with the hero worship of these below average people.

Especially ordinary working men who can barely afford to take their kids to see a game and buy some hotdogs, why do you worship these guys because they can dribble a ball up and down a court?

I lose respect for people who minimize the talent level we see at the professional level. Sure, athletes are overpaid and yes, some sports, namely baseball, have been tainted by the pervasive use of performance enhancing drugs. Nonetheless, as we saw from today, baseball is beginning to hand down stiffer penalties on those who do try to cheat the system.

I also disagree with your view that "athletes can only compete by taking performance enhancing drugs". Huh? Have you ever watched college sports or baseball before the steroid era? The competition is only affected in terms of an imbalance between those who use the drugs and those who do not. The raw talent and skill level is still inherent within each and every player imo.

Now, as I said before, I do agree that professional athletes are overpaid BUT people do pay for tickets, merchandise, and other items that ultimately pay these player's salaries. I think concessions at the game are overpriced, but people still pay for them which allows the ridiculous prices to stay at a ridiculous level. Same concept for professional sports, but I think you're always going to see a high demand in an American culture that values sports very highly.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,779,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post

I couldn't agree more.

But I have a question for you. Do you watch, or in any way follow, any collegiate or professional sport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events