Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM

421 posts, read 879,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right, so those school coaches and Boy Scout leaders who invite boys on "special" trips or overnights outside of school/Scouting hours and molest them are in no violation of professional ethics, none at all.

On whose planet?!

Get a clue; it's not ok to use a job that puts you into contact with minors to gain access to and ID potential targets for sexual activity, then schedule that activity for "after hours".

They are in no violation of professional ethics in terms of seeing the boys outside of their team.

They would be in violation of professional ethics if the child is forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
My own personal opinion: There has to be a line drawn somewhere, in oder to set limits. As a male teacher, I find that student/teacher physical relationships are wrong. PERIOD! No if's, and's, or but's. After graduation, when the student is no longer under a position of power/authority from the teacher, then all's fair, but definitely not during.

As for outside the student/teacher relationship, where do you draw the line? What's legal in one state for a couple to get married could get them arrested in another state if they moved. That is totally wrong. I'm not sure there could ever be a "fair" and universal law for our country. Maturity is varied and subjective - and not just for the younger partner. So I personally couldn't answer your question, but it is assumed that states would draw a line somewhere - and it will never be fair in all cases.

Why does there have to be a line drawn anywhere?

Why can't it just be that if the person is forced, it's wrong and if it's consenual, it's OK?

This really shouldn't be an issue the government concerns itself with, but you know the government always needs to butt into everything, since they want to control you.

And a high school or college student/teacher relationship could still work legally, since both people would be of "age."

Old 09-11-2013, 08:04 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
They are in no violation of professional ethics in terms of seeing the boys outside of their team.

They would be in violation of professional ethics if the child is forced.
That's not the way various courts have seen it, in cases where former students (well into adulthood when lawsuits were filed) sued schools that failed to protect students from predatory teachers that would lure the students to their home. You really don't know what you're talking about.

Oh well.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
That's not the way various courts have seen it, in cases where former students (well into adulthood when lawsuits were filed) sued schools that failed to protect students from predatory teachers that would lure the students to their home. You really don't know what you're talking about.

Oh well.

Courts don't determine ethics. They determine law. When we say, "Legally..." that's the courts.

Ethics are totally different.

Also, having a student come to your home isn't wrong in and of itself.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Courts don't determine ethics. They determine law. When we say, "Legally..." that's the courts.

Ethics are totally different.

Also, having a student come to your home isn't wrong in and of itself.
We're not talking about the ethics of having a student to a teacher's home. We're talking about the ethics of having sex with a student, wherever that may take place. It's unethical anywhere it takes place. You're really grasping at straws to keep your argument afloat, but you don't have a leg to stand on.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
We're not talking about the ethics of having a student to a teacher's home. We're talking about the ethics of having sex with a student, wherever that may take place. It's unethical anywhere it takes place. You're really grasping at straws to keep your argument afloat, but you don't have a leg to stand on.

In order for something to be unethical, there has to be a 99.99% agreement from the general population that the act is wrong, which isn't the case here.

There's a "the government says it's wrong, so it's wrong" majority here, but if you blindlessly follow government laws, then black people would still be slaves and women still wouldn't vote.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:07 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
In order for something to be unethical, there has to be a 99.99% agreement from the general population that the act is wrong, which isn't the case here.
Ethics, in a professional context, isn't the same as morality. I would concede that the behavior being discussed was unethical because it violates the professional standards of generally recognized bodies whose task it is to foster a code of ethics dealing with their profession. Whether it is immoral is a separate argument.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Ethics, in a professional context, isn't the same as morality. I would concede that the behavior being discussed was unethical because it violates the professional standards of generally recognized bodies whose task it is to foster a code of ethics dealing with their profession. Whether it is immoral is a separate argument.

I think thats true when you join an association professing such ethics.

Teachers don't sign those, do they?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
But it's not actually rape. Statutory rape is just government propaganda designed to brainwash kids into behaving to the government's agenda. (I personally think sexual relations are stupid, but I don't try to force my beliefs onto others, like the government does.)

In fact, if there's any exploitation going on, it's by the government in shoving their beliefs down their throat, totally overruling the parent's desired completely.

And there's nothing wrong with hanging out with people younger than you.
I only hope that the camp you claim to be a counselor at is somehow alerted to your views.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,632 times
Quote:
I think thats true when you join an association professing such ethics.

Teachers don't sign those, do they?
Actually, it is spelled out in the contracts of almost every school district in the nation. Sometimes, in general terms; others, in specific details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events