Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,900,071 times

Advertisements

The story says the man was dead in a parking lot and people were taking pictures with their phones as they went past. I know a lot of people tend to ignore the homeless, but it seems like someone, maybe a business owner in the shopping plaza, would have called the police, even if they thought he was just sleeping there.

It's almost like people use their phone as a screen between themselves and reality...I wonder if this will become more common, people taking pictures of someone in distress without trying to help them.

Police: People were taking cell phone pictures of dead homeless man | khou.com Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 AM

830 posts, read 1,667,691 times
Sad story about our society. I think it will become more common. I'm afraid for the next generation--is this lack of empathy and dignity going to keep spreading? I will definitely teach (future) children that this is not OK, even if all of their peers are doing it. It makes me sick that we can call for help with just a couple of taps on these portable devices but they are used for more bad than good. Recently at my workplace a car suddenly caught fire and the flames spread to another car. People were nearby but no one was hurt. But guess what, a dozen or more patrons and employees took photos and videos of the fire for their entertainment--that was their first reaction instead of calling the fire department. It wasn't even for the purposes of documenting what occurred, but rather wanting to see something "cool."

Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,578,735 times
How awful.

A friend of my mother's had a stroke while walking on a city street around midday. He lay in a gutter for hours with people walking past him, I guess assuming he was a bum.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:41 AM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
How awful.

A friend of my mother's had a stroke while walking on a city street around midday. He lay in a gutter for hours with people walking past him, I guess assuming he was a bum.
That's really sad, but all too easy to see how it could happen.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,971 times
My son is homeless and doing well as far as... he has work (pays to little to pay full rent for OC) and has a car to get there. He is a veteraand has about 3 weeks to go before he can get help (from the VA) with a place to live for him and his son. He has a place to park in Santa Ana but is getting flack from the Security guards. They say he just can't be sleeping in his car. This is the only thing keeping him going. He has lost his grand Parents and best friend in the last 3 years so yeah a bit depressed. Not a new story but if the police really care, they would allow him to at least sleep in his car without giving a ticket. He is doing no harm as well as other people that are in this situation. There are so many places that people can park in that are homeless but someone has to say something to get them arrested or even have their car towed because they are homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events