Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I heard that on the radio this morning and couldn't believe it. If the kid was never punished before in his life, it's time he got punished now. No one should get away with drunk driving and no one should get away with killing people either. Jail, just like anyone else would get.

It is such nonsense that it makes me wonder if the rich parents didn't pay someone off. The kid got no punishment at all except probation. There is something fishy about this story.
Not that it really matters They stole the beer. This kid now knows with his parent's money he can do anything he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Are we sure there is nothing else to this story - something that makes the sentence plausible if unpopular?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:16 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
This is unbelievable when considering how horrific this accident was. If I remember correctly, pictures taken from the accident scene showed the mangled truck lodged in the branches of a tree...it had become airborne after killing four people. I can't even imagine what is going through the mind of the man who found his wife's body on the road cut in half. The justice system is totally unfair...money talks and s*** walks. If the driver were poor he would have been spending time in jail. Instead he will be at some cushy rehab to the tune of $450,000 a year. Some punishment.

Crash that killed 4 left wide trail of ruin, expert testifies | Crime and Safety | News ...

Old 12-12-2013, 11:59 AM

25 posts, read 81,912 times
If not the kid, then the parents should be accountable if, in fact, they spoiled the kid. Hell, all 3 of them should be punished somehow. At the least, some community service.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
"Equal justice under the law is not merely a caption on the facade of the Supreme Court, it is perhaps the most inspiring
ideal of our society. It is one of the ends for which our entire legal system exists...it is fundamental that justice should
be the same, in substance and availability, without regard to economic status." Lewis Powell Jr. retired Supreme Court
Justice.
Money may have given this driver a slap on the hand but the families of those killed can punch the driver and his parents
with a civil suit.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,018 times
Affluenza is cured by spending decades in a room with only a cot and a toilet.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,818,121 times
Let's hope the families of the deceased sue the kid's family for providing a home life of no consequences, and allowing the kid to drink. Obviously, the kid should have gotten more than this - this is like a slap on the hand. But maybe it will take hitting the family in their pocketbook for them to take any of this seriously.

I'm pretty sickened by the whole thing.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:26 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
Texas rich kid who killed 4 in drunken car crash spared jail - NY Daily News

Ethan Couch Sentenced To Probation In Crash That Killed 4 After Defense Argued He Had 'Affluenza'

This is a travesty. No way this kid should've ever gotten free so lightly. This "affluenza" bull is just going to set a very unfair precedent.. Hold this kid responsible for his reprehensible actions!
This whole case disgusts me. A lifetime of being enabled by his wealthy parents taught this kid that he could do anything, and there would never be consequences. Even before the verdict came down (it happened near me, so the news was all over it here), I said that the parents should be convicted right along with this psychopath. They created this monster that has no regard for human life, they should share in the results of that.

This kid WILL do something horrible again. I just hope more lives aren't lost. And if he does kill someone, then his parents AND the judge should do the time right alongside the kid.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:12 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,577 times
The town this accident occured in is near where I live but this is the first time I have even heard of it.

I don't believe that people can do something like this and get away with it. It make take months, years, who knows, but I believe that karma will come back and bite him in the butt. Hard.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Money Talks and Bulls!*t Walks!
Those are the sad rules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events