Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:27 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We haven't been to one in years. IMO there hasn't been a movie released that I "just had to see" and I refuse to line the pockets of celebrities.
The quality of the movies has gone down and even the "edgy" "avantgarde" movies are just awful and embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I don't go because people won't shut up.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:40 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
This thread sure says a lot about the state of affairs in American in 2013. Bedbugs in theaters; who would have thought? How about restaurants? Do you avoid them too? It seems that there are just as many brawls in Chuckie Cheese and McDonalds as there are in movie theatres. I like how one poster says they go to the theater in a nearby rich town and nothing happens. This is the new segregation of America. It is not by race or religion, but by class; people who have been raised properly and those who have not. Occupy Wall Street should have been protesting this new divide, not some silly notion about something they call the one percenters, but OWS couldn't see this divide because they are pigs that haven't been raised properly themselves..

They should arrest the parents of those who were arrested and throw them all in prison for at least ten years. Maybe someday the police will get smart and use their Glocks instead of pepper spray.

A night out at the movies used to be something to look forward to, and I am not talking about the 1950s, I am talking about last year. Netflix, DVDs, VCRs, video on demand, and streaming movies to one's cell phone couldn't destroy a great American institution, but crime and violence will. This country gets sicker every day. I blame the police for not properly controlling these rowdy crowds and arresting more people.

Last edited by james777; 12-28-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
I feel like I used to live in movie theaters, but have been to one in years.

Ticket and concession prices got so high, it seemed like the audience became too prone to talking during movies, and it was just a matter of waiting a few months until it was out on video.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I go occasionally but only during the day when kids are in school and the movie theater doesn't have a big attendance. One thing I don't like it the loudness of the sound which at times plays havoc with my hearing aides. Another is the commercials! Whatever happened to the pre-movie cartoons? Movie tickets are expensive. So is food if you buy it. Then they subject us to the same commercials we see at home on our TV sets?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 PM

Teens run wild in Kings Plaza mall in Brooklyn in New York City - UPI.com

Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 PM

Kings Plaza Mall steps up security after teen brawl | PIX 11

BROOKLYN, N.Y. (PIX11) – After droves of angry teens caused many stores at the King’s Plaza Mall to close their gates early Thursday evening, mall security is now checking IDs and keeping teens under 18 out of the complex unless they are accompanied by an adult.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I feel like I used to live in movie theaters, but have been to one in years.

Ticket and concession prices got so high...
Movie tickets cost just about the same as they did in the 80s and 90s and less than they did in the 70s once you put it up against CPI.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I am content to watch movies at home on DVD with friends but there are some that need the big screen. "The Life of Pi" was beautiful on the big screen in 3D. I never used to be able to watch 3D because of those old red and blue glasses over my glasses. They just didn't work. But the new glasses work over mine just fine.

The "Harry Potter" movies were others worth seeing in the movie theater. But my taste tends towards those movies that tell a story that don't require a large screen so seeing them on DVD doesn't take away from anything. And I like being at home and popping popcorn and supplying snacks for everyone.

NetFlix is my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events