Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

I avoid movie theatres mainly due to the insane prices. I can see a cra**y movie at home for a little over a buck.

Elysium, yikers......another preachy POS, glad I did not pay full price to see that stinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
I will never, ever stop going to the theater. I go almost weekly. I'm cinephile. Never seen or experienced any such scuffle at a theater.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:14 PM

175 posts, read 257,068 times
I haven't been to a theater in two years. If I absolutely have to see a movie at the theater, I'll go on a weekday at one of the earliest showings. I'll never go on a Friday or Saturday night. Who wants to listen to people talking, chomping on popcorn, and kicking the seats? Also, bedbugs have been found in movie theaters. They can latch on to you and you can bring them into your home. That's scary. At least in a hotel you can scour the room for evidence of them. In a theater, it's dark even before the movie starts and you can't see what you're sitting on and what's on it.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 PM

728 posts, read 1,899,549 times
I don't go to the movies anymore for a few reasons:

Price For the price of two movie tickets at regular price I can purchase the movie in 3 months when it comes out on Bluray and in many cases it's CHEAPER to buy the movie.

Too many commercials and previews I remember a time when you sat through a few minutes worth of previews before the feature started which I was totally fine with. Now you not only have 30 minutes of previews but you also have commercials as well. Your movie was supposed to start at 10 but it really doesn't start till 1030.

Snacks cost too much Seriously almost 20 dollars for bucket of popcorn and two large drinks. I don't think they should legally be allowed to call something with such high prices a "snack". My meals don't even cost that much.

Kids Remember when kids under 18 were not permitted into movies that were rated R? I'm tired of trying to watch a serious drama with adult themes and nudity and sex and all things R rated and have to deal with little kids running around the aisles or babies crying. There are movies made for that age group and I would expect that type of thing. If you can't get a sitter to watch your kids then don't go to the movies.

Modern Technology Despite the theater asking you several times t silence your phones there is almost always at least one moron that doesn't and their phone makes some noise during the movie. Even those that do silence their phones are so addicted to being i constant contact with the world that they have to constantly check their Facebook or text messages and their bright little screens become distracting. Is it really that hard to just put the damn phone away for 2 hours and enjoy the movie?

Rant over

Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post

Price For the price of two movie tickets at regular price I can purchase the movie in 3 months when it comes out on Bluray and in many cases it's CHEAPER to buy the movie.

Too many commercials and previews I remember a time when you sat through a few minutes worth of previews before the feature started which I was totally fine with. Now you not only have 30 minutes of previews but you also have commercials as well. Your movie was supposed to start at 10 but it really doesn't start till 1030.

Snacks cost too much Seriously almost 20 dollars for bucket of popcorn and two large drinks. I don't think they should legally be allowed to call something with such high prices a "snack". My meals don't even cost that much.

Kids Remember when kids under 18 were not permitted into movies that were rated R? I'm tired of trying to watch a serious drama with adult themes and nudity and sex and all things R rated and have to deal with little kids running around the aisles or babies crying. There are movies made for that age group and I would expect that type of thing. If you can't get a sitter to watch your kids then don't go to the movies.

Modern Technology Despite the theater asking you several times t silence your phones there is almost always at least one moron that doesn't and their phone makes some noise during the movie. Even those that do silence their phones are so addicted to being i constant contact with the world that they have to constantly check their Facebook or text messages and their bright little screens become distracting. Is it really that hard to just put the damn phone away for 2 hours and enjoy the movie?

Rant over
This is the reason I will not go to the movies at night any longer. The last few times I did, there were crying babies and toddlers running up and down the aisles screeching. I am lucky in that since I am retired, I can go with another retired friend or another who works retail and gets two weekdays off during the late morning or early afternoon when there are few people in the audience and hardly ever any noisy kids.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Sometimes there will be a movie my dd really wants to see, but as far as myself, I'm content not to go. Mostly because of the price, not being afraid of violence or anything like that. Violence can break out any and everywhere, so if that were a reason not to go somewhere, I'd never leave the house.

Matinees are usually less crowded and noisy, and also less expensive, so when we do go that's what we do. I'd never go to any movie on opening night. There's been nothing I've wanted to see that bad that it couldn't wait.

We used to have absolutely beautiful movie theaters downtown here. I remember going when I was a kid, and it was so lovely and luxurious and such a wonderful experience. Now, that theater is a performing arts center, and the only movie theaters we have is the 16 or 18 or whatever mega movie theaters. Even the drive ins are gone now. Just not as fun or enjoyable anymore.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
I know of a lot of people that hook their Computer to a large flat screen TV with a HDMI cable, and get movies Free off of the Internet. They no longer fool with going to theaters or renting videos.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:16 AM

358 posts, read 512,244 times
I like going to the movies as much as ever, except the movies aren't as good to watch or maybe I just don't like them as well after all.

Of course, a lot of the movies I used to go see aren't so good now either, but still, what they put out now is mostly unwatchable.

Maybe there just aren't enough interesting stories anymore, or something.

I only have had one significant bad experience in a cinema, about 8 years ago at Mayfair in Milwaukee. A few "gentlemen" felt that it was acceptable to "chat" during the film. I asked them a couple of times to please be quiet, but they considered me to be "rude". I was threatened with hostility, which just raised my hackles. But I was not further troubled and the movie finished without further incident, although I was given a nasty eye by one fellow as we all were leaving the room. Boorish, I thought.

Tut tut. I don't go there anymore.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:56 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:

This makes sense. If you have the setup at home, and can wait, you can make out real well by owning the movie for the same price.
Quote:

Movie theaters are a business... They do have high expenses and have to profit somehow...
Quote:

Maybe I'm too young to remember this. As long as I remember it was 17. Perhaps before the 80s it was 18?
Quote:

Rant over
I never notice this last one.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
Pay 20 dollars to sit in an uncomfortable chair, fully dressed, with 200 loud idiots without being able to pause and rewind the low definition screen once?
Pay 20 dollars to sit at home in my boxers, in my comfortable chair, with the ability to pause and rewind on my high definition screen as many times as I want?

Hmmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events