Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 PM

280 posts, read 686,346 times

Advertisements

I don't always agree with Charles Murray, but I do think that the following interview provides much food for thought:

Charles Murray Class divide growing in America - YouTube

What are your thoughts on the video and the points raised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
some points are truth, the American NORM is no longer, and that fact we should come together and co-mingle, yea we don't do that at all- we are divided, with in ourselves,,, war sued to bring us together- but with mass media we now see its all bout money and not preserving our culture... money things is in our views not other people

Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
I didn't watch the clip above, but my opinion on the growing divide is that the biggest contributor is government. If you are on the bottom of the food chain, there is no incentive to start working your way up. If you are on the top of the food chain, you benefit immensely through the tax laws and policies such as quantitative easing.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I think its a natural result of wealth sharing going on since the mid 60's which promote not competing .Its also resulted in a shift of middle class not reduction because middle class has just shifted and gotten overall a large in many other countries. Its no different than why we are ranking lower in education Its not money its the student attitude of not competing. or working hard enough at education. We see schools where top students are often new arrivals and parents don't even speak English well.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:58 PM

i just watched Park Ave-- on nxfx - I recommend you take n hour and watch it.. good documentary not by Murray

Last edited by tinytrump; 01-02-2014 at 04:30 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 04:25 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
More BS from Murray.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
i just watched Park Ave-- on nxfx - I recommend you take n hour and watch it.. good documentary not by Murray
any links?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
any links?
you need Netflix I think -- YouTube?
try this

Park Avenue: money, power and the American dream - Why Poverty? - YouTube

Old 01-08-2014, 05:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
I found Murray's quiz online but found it difficult to answer many of the questions because they did not pertain to the way I live. I think they were biased as most quizzes are towards one person's idea as to how a lifestyle should appear. As an example, questions like, what kind of beer did you purchase and did you buy a pickup truck are not answerable questions for me because I neither drink nor drive. Things like that are slanted towards a certain type of individual who fill a stereotype he may be looking for but does not necessarily depict the individual in a broader scope.

Also, I think when he asks the question whether or not someone had a job that caused them to ache but wasn't due to carpal tunnel syndrome or other jobs that suggestion white collar jobs I still checked "yes" because I worked lugging heavy files around all day long in an office. That caused a lot of full body aches at the end of the day. He, I think, was looking for something like a longshoreman or anything of that nature.

I did score lower middle class to middle class economically all my life and not in a bubble but he seems to indicate that only the upper classes are in a bubble which is not entirely true. Anyone unaware of surroundings other than their own can be in a bubble.

I do believe that we are becoming a nation of have-and-have-nots which is reflected in the neighborhood if not in the entire city in which I live where the "have-nots" have been pushed farther out and stacked up farther out and farther forgotten. This is the state of many places in America today.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
I think it's nonsense. I don't even like beer. Broad painting the entire country with a few stupid quiz questions is crazy. The face of the American family has changed since the white bread days of the 50's. There weren't discussions about homosexual families raising children. Biracial marriages weren't as common and living together without being married was a taboo. More neighborhoods are integrated and diverse then ever before. I never had ethnic encounters when I was a child growing up but I have friends in many ethnic groups as an adult. I have to agree that the mega rich marry the mega rich and I agree it's because they are insulated in their own circles. It's not their fault if they are born into wealth and go to elite schools just as it's not a child's fault being born into the hood. Those life styles will always be light years apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events