Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times

Advertisements

Should businesses be allowed not to hire older people and obese people?

It's a fact that older people and obese people miss more work. Since they "perform" better at work, just like some athletes perform better in their job, shouldn't businesses be allowed to hire the best performers, just like the NFL? If the NFL can hire the best receiver, shouldn't a business owner be allowed to skip over the older employees, the heavier employees and the employees without an accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Wouldn't that be........discrimination?
Yes, but the NFL is threatening action due to discrimination while they practice it. Isn't that hypocrisy.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I have never in my life met a girl or woman who is in to American football. I don't even know if the no-female thing is discrimination as much as it is a landslide of disinterest for females. Obviously there are at least some women who have a desire in working for the NFL, but the ratio is probably waaaaaaaaay off.

I've always thought American football was the goofiest sport on earth, but I'm impressed that the NFL made a decision like this which would also clearly affect financial gain. Good for them.
You're from Canada lol

There are tons of women here in the United States that love football and sports.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, but the NFL is threatening action due to discrimination while they practice it. Isn't that hypocrisy.
You are complaining about discrimination but you advocating for it.....sounds like the mindset of a feminist. No logic, just all feelings.

You still haven't demonstrated discrimination. Were the women who didn't make, not make it because of their gender or because they were not good enough?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:42 AM

320 posts, read 538,978 times
Quote:
dis·crim·i·na·tion

noun \dis-ˌkri-mə-ˈnā-shən\
: the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people.

Again I ask you, how is the NFL treating women football players differently from male football players??? Are there women who can play equally or better than the men already in the league but aren't getting the opportunity? Have there been any women who've tried out for an NFL team, subsequently shown that they are better than current members of the team but have been cut anyway just because they are women? If so please give me their names & the teams that cut them and I will personally draft & send a letter to Roger Goodell demanding an explanation as to why these women are not allowed to play. I'm a fan of the NFL and I want to see the best talent on the field every Sunday. If there are women out there who have shown that they are better players than those that I've been watching on Sunday then I want to know why they aren't playing as well. I'll wait for you to get me those names.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
That's because he had unusual speed. Even still he wasn't drafted. That shows you how much teams were scared to get him. He also went to one of the worst franchises in the league, the Redskins, who hasn't had a reliable returner for over a decade, so they were desperate, but no other team was that desperate.

It does matter how long someone last. If you can't take a hit, you cannot be relied on. How can a team depend on your talents if you can't stay on the field?

The question becomes, if there are women that size, do they possess a unique talent that will give them a chance to compete? Where is the proof that a woman has been denied the opportunity in spite of having talent?
Please, history is replete with excuses citing specific examples being used to deny opportunity to entire segments of the population.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
dis·crim·i·na·tion

noun \dis-ˌkri-mə-ˈnā-shən\
: the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people.

Again I ask you, how is the NFL treating women football players differently from male football players??? Are there women who can play equally or better than the men already in the league but aren't getting the opportunity? Have there been any women who've tried out for an NFL team, subsequently shown that they are better than current members of the team but have been cut anyway just because they are women? If so please give me their names & the teams that cut them and I will personally draft & send a letter to Roger Goodell demanding an explanation as to why these women are not allowed to play. I'm a fan of the NFL and I want to see the best talent on the field every Sunday. If there are women out there who have shown that they are better players than those that I've been watching on Sunday then I want to know why they aren't playing as well. I'll wait for you to get me those names.

To which female NFL players would you be referring?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:13 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
Lauren Silberman tried out as a kicker and failed miserably.

But the question is why can't she play? Why doesn't the NFL make a rule that all kickers must be female? It would give no team any advantage while bringing in diversity and allowing women to compete.
Quote:
Wouldn't that be........discrimination?
Quote:
Wow - talk about a circular argument.

Pedro - let me ask you this. Let's say you're setting up a neighborhood basketball game for this weekend. You post some fliers out there letting everyone know what's up. When the weekend rolls around, 10 people show up. They are all guys under the age of 25.

Would it be accurate to say that you are discriminating against women and anyone over the age of 25?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 AM

320 posts, read 538,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
To which female NFL players would you be referring?
I said female football players in general. Obviously there are no women currently playing in the NFL. But since the NFL supposedly discriminates against women, there must be women out there somewhere who have tried out for a team, outperformed some of the men at their position, but because they were women were denied their rightful spot on the team's roster anyway. Right? If so, I'd like to talk about it. If not, why is anybody accusing the NFL of discriminating against women?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:29 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
I fully agree with the NFL determining for themselves which states and/or cities it alone deems worthy of hosting its premier event.

Az was free to decideoon this issue for itself, but its citizens had to be mature enough to deal with all the economic consequences. It is analigious to personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events