Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
Putin "Bring it and don't forget your army of gays"
. If we get into it with Russia on a military level its gonna go nuclear.

Quote:
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." - Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I was using Iran as an example of how economic sanctions can have an actual impact. Do you understand now?
Do you understand that it would be a poor example to follow in this case, with Russia?

Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Economic sanctions is about all that can be reasonably put in place against Russia and a condemnation from the rest of the world. The USA confronting Russia militarily will quickly degenerate into WW3.
Obama can de-friend Vladimir from facebook. He's already threatening it.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:05 PM

579 posts, read 1,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
About the only consequence option Obama has is to unfriend Putin. His talk is laughable at best. The Russians (Soviets) have had a long history with Crimea region of Ukraine. It is one if not the only warm water port they have and thy know its strategic importance and will protect it. I doubt that is as far as they will go though. Not many Taters left in that part of the world. But the EU and US will simply sabre rattle a bit and argue in the UN. Obama has proven himself impotent, not just "practically" so.
Now I can't get the image out of my mind of Obama going on Facebook and just, "unfriending" Putin

Old 03-02-2014, 03:43 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
Now I can't get the image out of my mind of Obama going on Facebook and just, "unfriending" Putin

Me neither! That will fix ole Putin won't it.

At least Obama gave Putin a "harsh warning" instead of drawing the red line ... that turned pink ... then disappeared. I bet Putin's knees are knocking with that harsh warning.

We do not need any more wars. especially a nuclear war. I am sick of our young people dying or returning home maimed.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:58 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
To "protect" Russians from Russians?
Don't you understand that Crimea is mostly Russian-populated area and Sevastopol is a Russian city, always has been ( Ukrainian in the name only); or do you think someone is making up stories about that?
There is no love lost between the Tatars of Crimea and the Russians. Stalin accused them, falsely, of collaborating with the Nazis and transported a ton of them to Russia where they were poorly treated. About half died during this whole fiasco, but many have come back. Whether they will fight a Russian takeover remains to be seen.

“Our people are peaceful, but if they threaten us, our men will defend the community,” Mr. Murat said.
(NYT, 3/1/14)

We'll see.

Stalin moved a lot of Russians to the Crimea. Whether these folks want to be under Russian rule -- well, time will tell.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:06 PM

29,502 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think we need to let the Euros lead on this one.
Putin calls Obama's bluff.....

The US has no skin in this. The western Ukrainians want to align with the EU, while eastern Ukraine is mainly Russian speaking and want ties with Russia.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Ukraine has much better internet and cell phone service than the US, and the cost is much less in Ukraine. Anyone with brilliant ideas on improving cell phone and internet service in Ukraine should work on improving the service here in the US first.

Perhaps you have not yet read about how the Russians have interrupted phone and internet service in Crimea or how that has been going on in Syria for some time. Makes perfect sense. I suspect that they will do what they can here to keep the opposition from communicating and coordinating activities.

I know, there's a lot going on in the world and it's not easy to keep up is it?

Old 03-02-2014, 04:17 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Putin knows Obama is an empty suit. He'll do whatever the hell he wants.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Ukraine has much better internet and cell phone service than the US, and the cost is much less in Ukraine. Anyone with brilliant ideas on improving cell phone and internet service in Ukraine should work on improving the service here in the US first.

Why would we want to "protect" Ukraine from Russia? What is wrong with Russia? Are all of you still living in the times of Soviet Union? Russia is a modern country that wants to be our friend, and the people there are doing just fine. Of course Russia is corrupt, and it denies its people certain rights, but then so is the US corrupt and it also denies its people certain rights. I see very little difference between Russia and the US. The warmongers need to turn their eyes to China. China has vowed to destroy Japan and the entire Western world since the end of WW2. They have had many, many military and civilian drills to prepare for a nuclear war against the US. This is how they thank us for saving their butts in WW2. Too bad we didn't nuke that nation long ago. Right now China is on the verge of a war with Japan. That is very scary since the US has long said that a strike on Japan is the same as a strike on the US.
That's especially scary since we turned over our very lucrative manufacturing industry to China and made it a most favored nation for trade. China owns us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events