Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:25 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
A former KGB officer and black belt martial artist vs a former community organizer...probably not. Obama will just draw another red line in the sand and Putin will listen.
Uh...oh. I think someone has a man crush on Pooty Poot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
Quote:
You're right, there's a lot of things the main stream media doesn't report. If they don't who will? Also the US could make Ukraine the 57th state.

We have enough dead weight in this country.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
"You tax-and-spend conservatives simply want to expand the govt by STEALING tax money from hard-working citizens and giving it to the lazy, do-nothing military."

Lazy, do nothing Military???? I am in the Military, and have done multiple deployments. Your comments are untrue, and disgusting! Now carry on.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"You tax-and-spend conservatives simply want to expand the govt by STEALING tax money from hard-working citizens and giving it to the lazy, do-nothing military."

Lazy, do nothing Military???? I am in the Military, and have done multiple deployments. Your comments are untrue, and disgusting! Now carry on.
Sorry, I was being sarcastic about that particular phrase - I don't believe the members of the military are lazy. I was just aping some conservative themes. However, I do think that we don't need anything like current levels of funding for war - we should have a budget in line with other countries, and maybe a little bit more, but not enough to waste it on invading little thirdworld nations.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you. Most of us just want the truth. I just question why we are so all up in Russia's business. After all if we look at history it was Krustrieve who gave Crimea to Ukraine. Crimea was originally part of Russia to begin with. Well, at least Russia didn't ask for a refund to get Alaska back. After all, it was also part of Russia. Sitka, AK is America's property now.
You have to look at history a tad deeper than simply listening to the Russkies. Kruschev gave away a country he didn't own and ethnically cleansed the Crimea of Tatars by forcibly relocating them. The Crimea has been governed by so many various historical empires that you'd have a hard time simply naming the last one to hang their shingle on the door as the legitimate "owner". Pretty sure Russia came way late to that dance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle17357913/

"Russian business" was what went on in Afghanistan until they got their azzes handed to them by goat herders with stingers. You were responsible for that. You've been up in Russia's business for decades because someone has to be to keep them from claiming the whole eastern European continent for their own.

there are still 200,000 Tatars there who will in all likelihood get forcibly removed once again.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:14 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times
I would wager that the majority of Americans aren't overly concerned about the Ukrainian situation. Heck, most of us probably couldn't even find it on a map.

We're more concerned about the hot-button issues of the day - like whatever Kim Kardashian is up to and the latest iPhone.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I would wager that the majority of Americans aren't overly concerned about the Ukrainian situation. Heck, most of us probably couldn't even find it on a map.

We're more concerned about the hot-button issues of the day - like whatever Kim Kardashian is up to and the latest iPhone.
And our government doesn't appear overly concerned about human rights when it comes to people in many African countries. Muslims just slaughtered 100 innocent Nigerians --- not one peep out of Obama.

But one Syrian or Ukrainian dies in some protest and he's squawking away about it --- why? Why do we somehow care about one Syrian but not more than 100 Nigerians?

Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Is that some kind of weird joke?

You do know that we and the Russians have a massive nuclear force, don't you? That we could effectively wipe out the country of Russia as a viable political entity with the contents of one Trident submarine?

Even if the two nuclear forces suddenly disappeared by an act of God, we still have more money sinking into our military than Russia, China, AND the EU combined. Even with small cutbacks.
Yes, I'm well aware of both countries having large nuclear arsenals having been around during the cold war. A nuclear exchange between both countries would be horrific as millions of lives would be lost regardless of what one Trident sub would do. Let's be realistic. A 20-30 minute window to evacuate the populations of Moscow or DC during a panic wouldn't be enough time anyway. As long as Russia and China remain a military threat there is no reason to give them the upper hand anyway. The race is far from over. We should never leave our guard down.

Nuke Race: US vs Russia

Quote:
You tax-and-spend conservatives simply want to expand the govt by STEALING tax money from hard-working citizens and giving it to the lazy, do-nothing military.

It's not just Republicans. It's congress (both parties) who put us in this mess to begin with. It was Obama (7 trillion) and Bush (5 trillion) who put their signatures to further weakening and devaluing the purchasing power of the dollar. (they own it) The problem is DC stealing from the American people through raising taxes to bail out failed businesses and expanding the Federal government vs the private sector (where most of the jobs are). You need to look at the whole picture. Also not to confuse Republicans with Tea Party because some of them aren't true conservatives at all who want big government programs like the Dems. The Tea Party existed because they are fed up with the over taxation and regulation of the private sector. You want to give your hard earned money for foolish wasteful spending in DC be my guest. Keep in mind both parties are guilty of over spending.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Am i the only one here who doesnt think Russia is dumb enough to just going around randomly nuking countries over small issues like this?

Old 03-16-2014, 06:19 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You have to look at history a tad deeper than simply listening to the Russkies. Kruschev gave away a country he didn't own and ethnically cleansed the Crimea of Tatars by forcibly relocating them. The Crimea has been governed by so many various historical empires that you'd have a hard time simply naming the last one to hang their shingle on the door as the legitimate "owner". Pretty sure Russia came way late to that dance.

Don

"Russian business" was what went on in Afghanistan until they got their azzes handed to them by goat herders with stingers. You were responsible for that. You've been up in Russia's business for decades because someone has to be to keep them from claiming the whole eastern European continent for their own.

there are still 200,000 Tatars there who will in all likelihood get forcibly removed once again.
The Tatars should have their own country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events