Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 PM

185 posts, read 241,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Who said this then?

"Did some brown people move into your neighborhood recently or something?"
'',

You got me, I'm a racist as well .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Not sure what we can do here. Send drones, they kill the hostages. Kill the terrorists we will be blamed for inciting future terrorist attacks.
Where are the moderate Muslims? What are they doing to educate about and repudiate this bastardization of Islam? Where is their call for arms against the members of this terrorist group to defend Islam?

I think this is a Muslim problem that must be solved by other Muslim groups. Joining Facebook groups or Tweeting is cute, but accomplishes nothing.

"Where are the moderate Muslims?" What are they doing to educate about and repudiate this bastardization of Islam?

Well, it isn't the bastardization of Islam as Islam permits Slavery as spelled out in the Quran. But then again Muhammad was 'kind and just' to his slaves just as the guy leading this group is. I think we should sit down at the peace table with the man behind this group to understand his grievances. He was probably a victim of the West and just needs to be understood.

Islamic views on slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-08-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 10:13 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Damn. Good thing I wasn't reading this thread from the bridge. I might've jumped. Compassion for our fellow humans seems to be evaporating. I wasn't aware we had to ration out our concern to those only in our own land.

The tragedy at Sandy Hook had people from all over the globe expressing their condolences, and that's just one example of people who care about children not in their own backyard.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
What a waste of money for the US and UK. These girls, even freed, will still be treated like chattel.

Again people...this is Africa....its still in the dark ages.
There's a big problem in Nigeria -- Islam. The southern portion of Nigeria is quite modern and the people are educated. The Christians in Nigeria aren't into polygamy and the owning of many women.

The Muslim religion encourages one man to own many women -- the more he can buy, the higher his social standing. The problem is that not only is there roughly a 50:50 ratio of men to women, many women in the north part of that country head to the more advanced Christian dominated region which creates a big shortage of women to buy for the Muslims.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Gunmen abduct eight more girls in northeast Nigeria: police | Reuters

This is on top of the over 200 girls abducted there by the same group a few weeks ago. Where is the public outcry especially from women's groups? These girls simply wanted an education which their kidnappers oppose besides they plan on selling them as slaves and into forced marriage as such a young age.
Why do you think there is no outcry? There definitely IS plenty going on to address the grotesque problem of human trafficking and the sex trade in children and women. Many groups have dedicated themselves to aid for the cause of safety for women in third world nations. In fact, our government CANNOT send troops or other policing unless the host country asks for help and Nigeria has not. That's why the United Nations and cooperative international groups are the key to a solution for this case.

There ARE people trying to help. How many of these groups have you volunteered for or donated to?

Human Rights Watch
Human Rights Watch | Defending Human Rights Worldwide
HRW has a four-star rating from Charity Navigator and is recommended by the Better Business Bureau as a safe place for donations to the cause of democratic rights for all.

Coalition Against Trafficking in Women
Home
CATW is the world’s first organization to fight human trafficking internationally and is the world’s leading abolitionist organization. In operation since 1988, CATW holds Special Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).

International Justice Mission
Our Solution | International Justice Mission
In nearly 20 communities throughout the world IJM protects the poor from violence by partnering with local authorities to rescue victims, restore survivors, bring criminals to justice, strengthen justice systems.

American Anti-Slavery Group, also known as iAbolish
iAbolish.org | American Anti-Slavery Group
With close ties to Sudanese aid groups, this Massachusetts-based organization is a non-profit coalition of abolitionist organizations that engages in political activism to abolish slavery in the world. It raises awareness, funds to support relief, and lobbies governments their efforts to abolish slavery.

U.N. Women
#BringBackOurGirls: A joint op-ed on the abduction of more than 200 school girls in Nigeria | UN Women - Headquarters
#BringBackOurGirls is the U.N. Women's response to the specific problem of the abductions in Nigeria.

World Health Organization
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...2_eng.pdf?ua=1 (PDF)
The WHO studies human trafficking and sexual slavery as part of its work on improving health and safety of people worldwide. The link above contains their report on human trafficking.

The following report is also pertinent to the topic (PDF):
http://www.unicef.org/emerg/files/wo...cure_world.pdf

Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Not amused by it at all. I just don't care. It's Africa.

But I can see how white cause-oriented females will jump on the Help Anything bandwagon.
Lemme get this straight. You make it clear in your multiple posts that you don't give a fig about anything happening in any third-world country. Your business (although why you seem so proud of it puzzles me). But you also denigrate people who do care and do act? That's just plain cruel.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:42 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
There is plenty to care and act here but until the media makes the Jump on the Latest Cause folks pay attention they will only care if its trendy.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
While the abduction of the girls in Nigeria is horrible, human slavery is more common than most people realize and it is happening in the US every day.

Compassion: Human Trafficking Facts & Stats | Force 4 Compassion

The US needs to concern itself with our slavery and Nigeria, an oil rich country, needs to clean up it's corruption and rid the country of terrorists.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
I'd be happy if they could just crack down on General Mombasa Sesyouknow who keeps sending me emails promising to share $567mUSD that he found in his dead Uncle's bank account.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Lemme get this straight. You make it clear in your multiple posts that you don't give a fig about anything happening in any third-world country. Your business (although why you seem so proud of it puzzles me). But you also denigrate people who do care and do act? That's just plain cruel.
yeah? those people are hopping on planes to Nigeria to help find those girls?

or are those people supporting spending other people's money to help those girls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events