Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:01 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

I support their efforts. At 15 bucks an hour I'd quit my day job and relocate to a new location and work fast food! To be able to find a living wage anywhere in the country once again like in the past....

I support the efforts of all workers to form an 'informal union' .. more power to em.

People only deserve the wage they DEMAND.. nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
How about the wages they deserve.?

Burger flippers have no right to demand anything

Old 05-08-2014, 03:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

Interesting how you seem to believe you have the right to determine what wages everybody "deserves"

If they negotiate for $15 on the free market, then that's what they "deserve" is it not?

Old 05-08-2014, 03:12 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I support their efforts. At 15 bucks an hour I'd quit my day job and relocate to a new location and work fast food! To be able to find a living wage anywhere in the country once again like in the past....

I support the efforts of all workers to form an 'informal union' .. more power to em.

People only deserve the wage they DEMAND.. nothing more, nothing less.
You can keep demanding all you want. If you can't find somebody who is willing to pay it you are out of luck. Now you think the min wage will make your demand a reality. WRONG! There may be a mandate on how much to pay you but only IF you are hired. There is no mandate to hire you. Oh, once the min wage is raised to $15 and college grads are getting less than that, you better get up real early because you'll end up way back in line.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM

206 posts, read 158,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No one is "owed" more than they are worth or can produce.

Should a guy who sits around on his azz, does nothing and has a Masters Degree get paid more than than a less educated person ?

It's all about skills and work ethic.

Yes, you're absolutely right. By saying they went to college that's what I kind of meant, that they have some skills.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:

People do have the right to request, and corps have the right to agree or disagree, and automate if they wish.

If the employees get more money, fine. If they end up unemployed by requesting too much, fine.

Free choice does go hand-in-hand with responsibility for any and all consequences.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM

129 posts, read 211,968 times
Quote:
The Economic Policy Institute?...you mean the George Soros funded dis-information tank.

Once again..it is not fair to make corporations pay an unfair wage to unskilled/uneducated workers.
What exactly makes it "unfair"? And I thought that's only a word bleeding heart liberals use? How long do you think McDonald's or Wal-Mart would remain in business without those "undeserving", unskilled workers?

How fair is it to chintz on paying those who work long hours & do good work, to make you money?

Old 05-08-2014, 04:03 PM

129 posts, read 211,968 times
Quote:

Yet people who just shuffle paper, catch & hit baseballs, sing songs, are "gentlemen farmers" paid by the government not to grow anything, get elected to congress, etc, have more a right to make a living?

To say someone "has no right to demand" decent pay, sound like robber baron talk. They too, felt their work force didn't deserve decent pay, living conditions, time off, or a safe working environment. And it's just that third world style nation we're quickly turning into, as we go down this road. And when 90% of the people are struggling to get scraps, left to "eat cake", while an elite minority live lavish lifestyles, you don't think you'll see mass uprisings, "food riots", bloodshed, etc. is that the future you'd like to see, really?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:07 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Perhaps if Johnson Controls, Eveready and Stanley didn't have to pay exhorbitant wages and benefits to their unskilled labor force they would still be around.

Exhorbitant!! You mean pay their workers what they're worth? No let's move instead and pay way below an American living wage and then pocket the rest for multi-million bonuses. Then say we're putting it towards R&D. I hope the investors are at least happy that their workforce has been put on the unemployment rolls. They probably couldn't care less. Green is green after all. Why do people always blame the employees/unions for manufacturing going overseas? Thank you NAFTA, GATT and CAFTA.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:09 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
It amazes me what the Obama spin masters have done to the sheep. The only jobs this economy has been able to muster are minimum wage jobs. So, what is the solution? Raise the minimum wage??? <shakes head>

How about KeyStone? How about these? Eric Cantor || Majority Leader || Jobs Legislation Tracker
Keystone? You mean that project that would have run corrosive Canadian oil through the very breadbasket of America??? One line blows, and say goodbye to the clean water under the ground. We are one of the world's most important food producers. Not work moving oil a bit faster to Asia, or where ever it is heading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We did not want heavy industry in the US.....now it is gone.
Incorrect. It's still around. It's just a highly automated game today. 90% are unskilled workers. The 10% that are skilled can make good money, but they sometimes have to fight for it a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events