Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,196,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
It seems the more we become racially one color (due to mixed race families), the more racism become an issue in the media. Do you feel that the media is driving the race issue? Perhaps its government? We should be more tolerant of others views, religions, ethnic diversions than ever before in our country's history but it seems to me to be getting worse.

I agree that the media is at fault. As a black person, I could care less about Cuban or Sterlings views and most people I know feel the same. We comment on it or talk about it and but overall it isn't at the forefront of our minds as people may believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:25 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,426,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Fox News Talking Point Alert!!!

Another oft repeated "well other people do it" trope, as usual, taken out of context. Michael Jordan actually grew up mostly around whites in a semi-rural area outside of Wilmington, NC. As a child, he experienced being invited to a birthday pool party and all of the white kids fleeing the pool when he jumped in. He was taunted by the nickname "black cat". He ultimately broke after a girl called him the "N-word". The description of the excerpt from his book is as follows:

"In fact, while in school, a girl called Jordan a '******', and he was suspended after he threw a soda at her in response. 'I considered myself a racist at that time. Basically, I was against all white people', Jordan admits in the book. The incident happened right after the death of Jordan’s great-grandfather Dawson. Jordan was angered by the life Dawson had had to live. He was 5’5” and a cripple, who had struggled all his life to support himself by rafting logs, sharecropping, and working as a cook at a whites-only hunting club."

So it was Jordan himself who was being introspective by saying he was against all white people "at that time". It was his own self-reflection after his own experiences as a youth. There has yet to be any shred of evidence that Michael Jordan has discriminated against white people (institutionally or otherwise) and can be defined as a racist beyond "that time" outside of his own self-perception. His supposed "racism" was actually a clear identification of a disciplinary system failing him (was the girl suspended too?); once again, without any demonstration that Jordan actively sought reprisals against whites just on the basis of being white, isn't his "racism" just a one-on-one act of throwing a soda at the girl who personally and directly discriminated against him?
Yeah, just like Paula Dean.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,426,145 times
“I HATED ALL WHITE PEOPLE” MJ Admits He Was A Racist - Black Media Scoop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events