Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:28 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,302,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm curious, if you think salespeople are one step up from child molesters, where do mass murderers fall on your scale of evil people?
Far worse than internet trolls, or a step below political sheeple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,688,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Yet another narcissistic, self entitled kid gone bad
Yup.

When I first heard of this shooting, based on the area of the shooting and the 'modus operandi,' I guessed that it was probably a loner with a grudge against society. Just like other lone mass shooters/murderers the past few decades.

And lo and behold, indeed it seemed like this shooter was your typical loner, who felt alienated by a society that has 'ignored' him. Videos and manifestos about wanting to get back at others. So on and so forth.

People can psychoanalyze all they want about violence, gun culture, all that, but ultimately it's about these loners who feel alienated and feel a need to strike back at a society that has passed them by. Narcissists, plain and simple.

Especially in our internet and fame obsessed culture of ours, where everyone wants to become famous. Some feel that society doesn't pay them the attention they 'deserve,' so every little insecurity comes to the surface and these people want to get back at society in the most heinous and most newsworthy way possible. And what 'better' way than planning and executing a mass shooting in public, something that strikes fear into the hearts of many. The objective being, these loners seek to become famous by committing these crimes and the hopes that their infamy will live on in notoriety, the fame and attention they never could achieve in life.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:06 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,798 times
Just watched the video.

He's not unattractive, he probably is just a jerk.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:29 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
One of the articles I saw mentioned that he posted on the bodybuilding.com forum. Some of those guys have drifted over here to the relationships board and generally post some pretty disturbing things about women and relationships.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:50 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
A high-ranking comment at CNN made the point that the most messed up part of this story is that the young man suspected of committing this crime believed that his right to have women trumped their right to live. The commenter is right: that is seriously twisted.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:58 AM

241 posts, read 189,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup.

When I first heard of this shooting, based on the area of the shooting and the 'modus operandi,' I guessed that it was probably a loner with a grudge against society. Just like other lone mass shooters/murderers the past few decades.

And lo and behold, indeed it seemed like this shooter was your typical loner, who felt alienated by a society that has 'ignored' him. Videos and manifestos about wanting to get back at others. So on and so forth.

People can psychoanalyze all they want about violence, gun culture, all that, but ultimately it's about these loners who feel alienated and feel a need to strike back at a society that has passed them by. Narcissists, plain and simple.

Especially in our internet and fame obsessed culture of ours, where everyone wants to become famous. Some feel that society doesn't pay them the attention they 'deserve,' so every little insecurity comes to the surface and these people want to get back at society in the most heinous and most newsworthy way possible. And what 'better' way than planning and executing a mass shooting in public, something that strikes fear into the hearts of many. The objective being, these loners seek to become famous by committing these crimes and the hopes that their infamy will live on in notoriety, the fame and attention they never could achieve in life.
Can't rep you enough. Something needs to be done about these crazy loner-types before more innocent people get killed. A good place to start would be the elimination of participation trophies so these freaks don't feel so entitled throughout life. These kids receive Little League baseball trophies just for showing up, even if they're the worst player on the team... and then people wonder why these same kids grow up thinking they "deserve" women just for showing up at a club (or "deserve" a $100k salary right out of college). And then go on a rampage when they find out that they can't get everything they want in life, contrary to what they were told growing up.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Can't rep you enough. Something needs to be done about these crazy loner-types before more innocent people get killed. A good place to start would be the elimination of participation trophies so these freaks don't feel so entitled throughout life.
Ridiculous. Millions upon millions of kids, including me (eons ago for tee-ball), have received participation trophies and have grown up to be perfectly functional adults. This young man was a narcissistic psychopath, and it had nothing at all to do with whether or not he got a trophy for playing rec league soccer as a six-year-old.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-24-2014 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,552,013 times
Looks like this cretin was very well-off -

Elliot Rodger Facebook Photos UC Santa Barbara Shooter | Mediaite

Old 05-24-2014, 11:21 AM

542 posts, read 692,566 times
I watched several of his youtube videos last night. (Wish I hadn't - at first I thought people had just linked to his account out of a rumor he was the killer. I almost thought the videos were fake at first.) It's just bizarre. He did have a narcissist thing going - Oh, I have an expensive car, I've traveled the world, I have $300 sunglasses, I dress well, I'm magnificent (who says that?). There's even a video of him watching a couple kissing and he goes on about how envious it makes him. He said he'd never kissed a girl or even held a girl's hand.

It's weird because UCSB is a really social campus - there's a thousand and one social groups and activities to be involved in, at least it was like that when I went there. And IV is your classic college party town; lots of alcohol and kids looking for fun every weekend. I'd like to know how he came off to people in a normal social setting.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:31 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Just another example that the status quo isn't working and something should be done.
What status quo is that? The only status quo I see is that this yet another case of a CRAZY person who ended up killing himself in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events