Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why a workers' comp suit couldn't be brought against the state. I work for a WC company that has several states and federal departments as clients. They carry WC insurance like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 04:32 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbabyny View Post
Did she know as a employee she was at risk of being raped by a inmate, or even murdered?

I am sure that every prison employee realizes that.

Employees were given pepper spray training BEFORE this happened.

Guards were checking the classroom MORE often than required.

I am sure more changes have been made since this happened 6 months ago.

It's unfortunate but tragedy is what drives changes to safety and security procedures (Coconut Grove?). They may have been teaching this type of inmate in this manner for years without any problems. When nothing goes wrong we become lax. That happens from the highest levels to our personal lives.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:01 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't understand why a workers' comp suit couldn't be brought against the state. I work for a WC company that has several states and federal departments as clients. They carry WC insurance like everyone else.
A workers compensation claim can be brought against the state when they are the employer and compensation is available to this woman for lost wages and medical expenses. What she can't do in most states is bring a lawsuit against the state for its negligence in failing to provide adequate security for the inmate. This is barred by the same statute that allows her a right to worker's compensation payments.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so you think she should just pick herself up, dust herself off and start all over again?
how about her relations with her husband? do you think it is easy to forget that kind of assault?sure some are able to get on with their lives but how do any of us know what is in their mind or heart while they are going on with their lives? how do we know what they do when they hear a strange noise in the night, when some strong memory comes back to haunt them. I don't think any of us can assume just because a woman doesn't take to her sick bed and cry for 40 years that she hasn't been incredibly scared and scarred and that indeed her "getting on with life" is filled with more trauma and illness than we will ever know.
I agree. I think the comment you are responding to is ignorant, sexist and totally unsympathetic.

Last edited by JanND; 06-19-2014 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events