Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,214,482 times

Advertisements

64,000 Missing Women in America All Have One Important Thing in Common - Mic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,701,145 times
I'm glad you posted your own opinion on this and didnt just create a link.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM

18,162 posts, read 15,672,553 times
The numbers of , specifically, women and children, who vanish thus are staggering, and personally, I haven't divided the numbers by race. I tend to dwell more on WHY these people were taken to begin with, rather than what color they are. That's a problematic musing as well, since details on the cases are most often severely lacking.

With children, its easy to make the theory they were taken by pedophiles or those who cater to them. However, its not a huge leap to go there with women as well, what with the sex slave market being what it is, especially in certain countries/regions, the money involved is mind boggling. This is where I totally agree with the article, that training as to what to look for in these cases is paramount.

It would be interesting to actually have access to details of these specific cases, examining a cross section of ALL races involved, and looking for a common denominator. I totally believe there is one there. The human trafficking market is far bigger than LE wants to admit, and its growing bigger. Is there a disparity in how these cases are investigated, based on color? IDK. Anything is possible, but does pointing to this possibility and singling it out help stop the takings? That, IMHO, can be answered "no".

I believe that there is a hydra looming out there, that LE needs to try harder to expose. But the money involved coupled with the international connections in human trafficking, slams a lot of doors, in one way or another.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:53 PM

2,416 posts, read 4,473,636 times
I cannot imagine the pain of not knowing what happened. We've had major stories lately of women being locked in houses for years and years--how many more houses are there like that? I'm sure that makes families of the missing hope against hope that their daughter or sister will be found and can come home.

While I fervently hope that a percentage of these women just disappeared and are living somewhere else, happily, under a new name, I know that the reality is generally much worse.

People have had to start a human trafficking rescue group in my city, but it doesn't get very much press--I don't think people want to think about things like that.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:04 PM

7,102 posts, read 6,010,010 times
Here's a good article on the subject: The "Missing White Woman Syndrome"

Old 07-17-2014, 02:05 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,567,271 times
these numbers speak well of chipping all humans and pets.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,460,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
these numbers speak well of chipping all humans and pets.
Aside from the fact that I think most would disagree with you, microchips (for pets) are not like GPS tracking. If someone finds a pet and takes it to the vet to be scanned for a microchip, it will give an ID number with the owner's contact info.
It's unconscionable that all these women are as good as forgotten by most of society.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 PM

2,416 posts, read 4,473,636 times
I think it would help if they would remove all the "clutter" from the missing persons reports. It's truly sad that Mom and Dad are fighting and one has custody and the other has the kids, but doing the statewide Amber Alert and having it all over the news has made people--me, at least--tend to ignore the missing stories as yet another family dispute.

Now they're even doing the "wandered away, needs medication" Alerts. Not saying they're not important, but the truly missing are getting caught in all the noise and ignored.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,567,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Aside from the fact that I think most would disagree with you, microchips (for pets) are not like GPS tracking. If someone finds a pet and takes it to the vet to be scanned for a microchip, it will give an ID number with the owner's contact info.
It's unconscionable that all these women are as good as forgotten by most of society.
you are probably right but the fact that it is widely used in other countries and that 64k women would have never been lost, does that affect your opinion? not even a little bit?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 PM

51,068 posts, read 36,780,840 times
They are right on with this, IMO. Think about the missing person cases we've heard the most about, they are pretty young blondes, Jon Benet Ramsey, Natalie Holloway, Elizabeth Smart, etc, etc. If there are 355,000 missing women and 335, 000 missing men, why are those involving only one type of victim given 24/7 media coverage for months, when others no one ever knows their name? I honestly had no idea there were that many missing men, I think there's an assumption men somehow did something to put themselves in harms way or chose to disappear, and probably a similar prejudice exists regarding missing people of other races and cultures (especially if the victim was from a poor area).

I really think though that deep down though, society values pretty, young and blonde females more than older women, men, and females of other races as well as those young white females who simply aren't attractive, and that it somehow seems more tragic to the general public for a beautiful girl to disappear or be killed than someone unattractive. We have been a beauty-obsessed society for a long time, it really shouldn't be much of a stretch to see how that would extend to which missing persons cases become media sensations.

The girl highlighted in the first article, the young black girl who has been missing since 2011, even though she is a beautiful girl...if her case and picture were the cover story, she wouldn't have sold even a fraction of the People magazines that Natalie Holloway or Elizabeth Smart did. For whatever reason, it does seem to be truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events