Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,036,213 times

Advertisements

Seriously, this is the mentality we are dealing with. He essentially wants you to simply comply, regardless of if he is violating your rights or not. He suggests you can file a complaint later. You can't undo a violation of my rights! The police don't have free reign to stop and question you as they feel inclined, as they did in Nazi Germany or as they can in North Korea. There are rules and they must follow them or Ferguson will only be the beginning. The power trip that this officer is pushing is exactly why we have to question and we have to record every interaction. He simply doesn't get that he doesn't have universal authority. He has some good points, but they are common sense. Don't hit a cop, don't walk towards me aggressively etc. But he steps way over the line by essentially saying to just go along with him, even if he is violating your rights. This attitude and the militarization of the police that people are finally starting to see, is one of the biggest challenges to our way of life and domestic security.

Veteran Cop: 'If You Don't Want To Get Shot,' Shut Up -- Even If We're Violating Your Rights

Sorry for the title typo, I cant go back and change, maybe a mod will?...Veteran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
Another opinion piece from Huff Post.

The guy is right. Just don't be an a-hole and you will be on your way.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
I'm definitely concerned about the militarization, the "good intent" justification, the 3am knockless warrants, and the feeling some in law enforcement have that they're here as a priveleged class to control us sheep. The things that are being done in the name of the War on Drugs are deplorable and get worse every year. The escalating abuse of power is reprehensible.

However, none of that means we jump to conclusions or make an example out of one particular incident that fits our discontent about the militarization and infringements. What I said in my first paragraph in no way means Ferguson involved a rogue cop abusing power and killing with no provocation.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Another opinion piece from Huff Post.

The guy is right. Just don't be an a-hole and you will be on your way.
Well not exactly, if you prefer you can read the original post in the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postev...-challenge-me/

You may be OK with it, but I'm sure not ok with an officer trampling my rights and expecting me to not worry about it. Of course you can question in a reasonable manner or you can question in an obnoxious manner (a-hole). Assuming you are being respectful, he needs to answer my questions and explain why I am being contacted and if I am being detained for starters. The ability to just stop you for no reason and have that be acceptable is absurd IMO.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:01 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
This guy was on CNN this afternoon. He seemed relatively reasonable (if a little disjointed) and frustrated that a lot of media outlets seem to be taking some of the lines out of context, for clicks and ratings of course.

Watch:

CNN Video

Old 08-20-2014, 07:04 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,809 times
He explains here:

Column defending cops in Ferguson sparks online fury - CNN.com

He's not advocating "trampling of rights." The sour face and pursed lips of the supposed interviewer shows her obvious bias.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Well not exactly, if you prefer you can read the original post in the Washington Post

I

You may be OK with it, but I'm sure not ok with an officer trampling my rights and expecting me to not worry about it. Of course you can question in a reasonable manner or you can question in an obnoxious manner (a-hole). Assuming you are being respectful, he needs to answer my questions and explain why I am being contacted and if I am being detained for starters. The ability to just stop you for no reason and have that be acceptable is absurd IMO.
The lawyers can fight about your rights in court. On the street there is nothing you can do except keep your mouth shut and avoid certain areas.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:31 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,145,247 times
That word “militarizing” must have made into some style guide for liberal writers.
There’s no denying the world is a very different place with 9/11 and the Columbine Massacre.I suppose the media thinks we should just go back to six shooters and Billy clubs. We also seem to forget that back in the day the National Guard had zero problems giving you a water cannon bath and a little ED50 of tear gas. The real lucky ones got some hot lead.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The lawyers can fight about your rights in court. On the street there is nothing you can do except keep your mouth shut and avoid certain areas.
Could not be further from the truth. You can't reclaim your rights after the fact, you must protect them every day and from multiple sources. This is but one source. There are many basic things you can do to protect yourself and your rights with every police encounter. Now that requires remaining calm and respectful, while being able to clearly articulate the issue.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
That word “militarizing” must have made into some style guide for liberal writers.
There’s no denying the world is a very different place with 9/11 and the Columbine Massacre.I suppose the media thinks we should just go back to six shooters and Billy clubs. We also seem to forget that back in the day the National Guard had zero problems giving you a water cannon bath and a little ED50 of tear gas. The real lucky ones got some hot lead.
I can only speak for me, and the issue I have with militarizing is exactly what we saw in Ferguson, it can escalate things unnecessarily. I also think it increases the divide between "us and them". Remember community policing? The other part of the militarizing issue is that EVERY LE entity has a SWAT team now. Are they really all needed? Does the Department of Education really need a SWAT team?, What about HUD? I also think there is a faction who see a threat of military rule and that this is just a preliminary step to Marshall Law (not me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events