Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:32 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Ahhh, the irony of the lives we 'live' in this 'modern world'.
Yeah.. That is ridiculousness at an extreme, isn't it? We won't send you the drugs to execute someone, but it's perfectly fine to use these drugs to kill someone if they request it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I would like proof about your claim. I have only read that sex offenders recidivism rate is very high.
No you haven't. You might have assumed the recidivism rate is very high - as I once did, but no journalist would actually say the rate is high and expect to maintain their credibility.

Sex Offenders: Recidivism, Re-Entry Policy and Facts*|*Paul Heroux
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/238060.pdf
http://www.lbb.state.tx.us/Public_Sa...s/RecidSex.pdf
A Multivariate Analysis of Sex Offender Recidivism
Report finds low recidivism rate amongst convicted sex offenders | The CT Mirror
Sex offender survey shows low recidivism - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
Recidivism Studies - USA FAIR, Inc

Old 09-18-2014, 05:52 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times

This is interesting. I appreciate your posting it.

In all fairness I feel obligated to report on something the media does not. There are many chronically mentally ill and mentally retarded who are sex offenders and never make it to those stats.

For example, i once worked in a state psych hospital that had 4 floors. *Half of an entire floor* was dedicated to sex offenders w chronic mental illness. The other half of that floor was for mentally ill criminals of *all other crimes.* See the difference? This is not just one hospital. Many state hospitals (all that I've personally worked w in fact) have similar ratios.

To be released from these sex offenders unit, you have to (among other things) pass a test of sexual deviance. Most are still there, have been for decades, and most likely will never leave. Many cannot pass this test. Many are very sick in other ways.

These people will never be factored into recidivism rates. I know of at least 2 who were released from this parallel system and later returned to the same system. Unaccounted for and unregistered.

And off topic, this is one of the reasons I'm against sex offender registration. It's not very accurate.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
We've gone through this discussion time and time again - forced execution is unethical because of the risk that the conviction is false. The judicial system is not perfect.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
A real brain-dead logic at work by tying our hands with horrific criminals and not executing them. With technology like DNA testing, there are very accurate ways to convict these criminals. Once conviction is achieved, the appeal process is moot and a waste of time and resources; these criminals need to be executed quickly and efficiently for the sake of society. This particular criminal sees the light and wishes to stop wasting our precious air and food....good for him and what are the Belgians waiting for? Hop to it!

I wish more criminals can do society a belated favor and ask for their own quick death. A waste of money keeping them fed and cared for. I would rather the resources go to education and other worthy social services...even animal shelters over the housing and care for harden criminals. Ridiculous liberal logic.
I have to agree with you. I couldn't have said it better...or even THAT good!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:29 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
You mean this idiot doesn't like being confined anymore. Kind of like how he trapped his victims and confined them while performing his disgusting acts. Solitary confinement for life now buddy.
To confine someone in the U.S. we're looking at $40-$50k a year, and get out your calculator and add it all up, prison by prison, what it's costing us, meting out sentences 2-3 times higher than in Europe!

And budlight, one day, elects to cross the wrong bridge some day, the bridge collapses, because instead of spending money on our infrastructure, we're foolishly spending it on imprisonment.

Here's a guy offering to reduce our taxes, with assisted suicide, and budlight says: solitary confinement for life!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
So the drug companies will not sell the states the drugs for executions but they are available for suicides????

Old 09-19-2014, 03:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So the drug companies will not sell the states the drugs for executions but they are available for suicides????
Yes. And it's a whole ' nother discussion about our reliance on foreign countries for certain critical things.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:04 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
To confine someone in the U.S. we're looking at $40-$50k a year, and get out your calculator and add it all up, prison by prison, what it's costing us, meting out sentences 2-3 times higher than in Europe!

And budlight, one day, elects to cross the wrong bridge some day, the bridge collapses, because instead of spending money on our infrastructure, we're foolishly spending it on imprisonment.

Here's a guy offering to reduce our taxes, with assisted suicide, and budlight says: solitary confinement for life!
OK you have changed my mind. Have executed immediately.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:53 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
I think this is a fine idea. I don't care for S.O.s to live at all....they don't deserve to breathe our air, they don't deserve to take up valuable space on this already crowded planet. He is filth. Get rid of him. Wish they'd just do this to all child molesters, rapists and murderers. WE DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR THESE "PEOPLE"!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events